Torsion Bar ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007 | 07:37 PM
|
Torsion Bar ???

I have a 2003 FX4 extended cab stepside and I want a lttle more lift but don't have alot of money i was wondering how much I can expect to see out of this and also can I add a bigger block in the rear to bring that up I already have rancho shocks and my truck does sit higher than my roomates 1997 f150

Old 07-29-2007 | 07:59 PM
to my knowledge shocks dont add any hight. But i have been proven wrong. You can crank the torsion bars and see about 2 inches at the max with the stock keys. I have cranked my torsions and i have add-a-leafs and air bags in the rear and my truck sits about 2.5 in the front higher and 3 in the rearhigher than stock. I have seen cheap torsion keys on ebay that claim to be able to lift it a bit more but i wouldn't do that. It puts a load on the bars as it is cranking them.

Old 07-30-2007 | 12:44 AM
Stay away from aftermarket keys, they put way to much preload and will destroy your ride. Crank the torsion bars using the stock keys. Cranking the torsion bars will bring your truck right about level, but you need to have an alignment done afterwards. If you can do the work yourself, i would go with a 3inch performance accesories body lift. It will take about a weekends, but the kit is only about $280. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-30-2007 | 12:56 AM
yeah if youl just want to level out the truck and have the ability to fit some 33 or 34's comfortably just crank the torsion bars using the stock keys.......I did it some time ago and am happy with the outcome. it is also really cheap (free) + the cost of an alignment. Body lifts also look great and are the best way to get some 35's under and really enhance the look and stance of your truck.

Old 07-30-2007 | 01:00 AM
I agree.

Old 07-30-2007 | 07:38 PM
just wanted to add a question to this thread,

i placed an order with 4wheelonline.com for some rancho RS5000's and got a message on my phone today saying those shocks wont work on a truck lifted 1.5 inches. I'm getting my torsion bars cranked and an add-a-leaf installed on wed. and assumed those shocks would be ok for that little bit of height, considering that the shock description says good for both stock and lifted vehicles. I will have to call them back tomarrow during their hours but what shock would work with the torsion bar lift. I thought stock ones would work just fine.

I appreciate any suggestions or imput!! Thanks!!
John

Old 07-30-2007 | 08:57 PM
Really, you did not lift your truck. You just adjusted the ride height. When you told them you had a 1.5 inch lift, you blew their minds. You need a set of shocks for a stock 4x4.

Old 07-31-2007 | 09:29 PM
|
I really want to get the 3" body lift right now but have no money to put towards it so I thought I ould crank my torsion bars up the only thing s is that I only have about 3/4 to 1" of travel b4 the adjusters bottom out will I see a big improvement in heiht or not and will my ride quality go down.

Quick Reply: Torsion Bar ???