AAL vs block for 8" of lift, 04+

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007 | 10:40 AM
|
AAL vs block for 8" of lift, 04+

Ok I'm still going over this 8" of rear lift crap in my head. I don't want to stiffen up my ride any in the rear. I take gravel roads most of travels just because there's next to no traffic and it's peaceful to me.

A stiffer suspension is going to shake the dirt off my truck and turn my nice ride into something I probably won't enjoy as much. The gravel roads can throw the unexpected pot hole at you and I'd like not to catch air when I hit it. I need to bring my rear up from 6 to 8". Right now I have the 4" pro comp block on top of the factory 2" block/bump stop and the ride is pretty good.

Anyone have a tried and true setup to recommend here?

Old 12-17-2007 | 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Impact9
Ok I'm still going over this 8" of rear lift crap in my head. I don't want to stiffen up my ride any in the rear. I take gravel roads most of travels just because there's next to no traffic and it's peaceful to me.

A stiffer suspension is going to shake the dirt off my truck and turn my nice ride into something I probably won't enjoy as much. The gravel roads can throw the unexpected pot hole at you and I'd like not to catch air when I hit it. I need to bring my rear up from 6 to 8". Right now I have the 4" pro comp block on top of the factory 2" block/bump stop and the ride is pretty good.

Anyone have a tried and true setup to recommend here?
Only other option besides the AAL would be a set of 8" deaver springs. The AAL isnt going to change your ride drastically in the rear. Although it might stiffen it a tad. But its also going to expand a little towing capacity for you as well. I would go AAL, unless you got the cash to drop on some new springs. I have a brand new 2" AAL i am selling. Let me know if you would be interested. inooqz@hotmail.com

Old 12-17-2007 | 02:18 PM
|
Well crap, I just measured the difference between the front and the rear. The back bottom of the bumper is at 20.5 and the front is at 23.5. (with my factory tires on) My rear is really loaded down with the truck cap and rack on top, plus all the tools back there. If I went with a 5" block to replace my 4", the additional inch isn't going to come close to leveling it out. I don't mind a rake to the stance but this prerunner look is driving me nuts and I think it's really messing with my handling too. Using a 2" AAL will be maybe an inch too short so I might have to get a 4" AAL.

Last edited by Impact9; 12-17-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-17-2007 | 02:22 PM
Well crap, I just measured the difference between the front and the rear. The back bottom of the bumper is at 20.5 and the front is at 23.5. (with my factory tires on) My rear is really loaded down with the truck cap and rack on top, plus all the tools back there. If I went with a 5" block to replace my 4", the additional inch isn't going to come close to leveling it out. I don't mind a rake to the stance but this prerunner look is driving me nuts and I think it's really messing with my handling too. Using a 2" AAL will be maybe an inch too short so I might have to get a 4" AAL.
i would think a 5" block and 2" AAL would do the trick. Dont stack blocks, not smart.

Old 12-17-2007 | 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by nooq
i would think a 5" block and 2" AAL would do the trick. Dont stack blocks, not smart.
x2

Old 12-17-2007 | 07:00 PM
Suspended
I say you use the factory 2" block and have some custom Deaver or Atlas springs made to give you the rest of the height. This is by far the best way to go about what you want to accomplish.

Old 12-17-2007 | 07:52 PM
|
I ordered some skyjacker 4" AAL for $200 from autoanything.com to use with the Pro Comp block. I'm sure a full 8" of leaf springs would be better but cost a hell of alot more. Now I need to find some u-bolts. I sent a pm to kansasjoe to see if he can help me out there.

Old 12-17-2007 | 07:54 PM
I ordered some skyjacker 4" AAL for $200 from autoanything.com to use with the Pro Comp block. I'm sure a full 8" of leaf springs would be better but cost a hell of alot more. Now I need to find some u-bolts. I sent a pm to kansasjoe to see if he can help me out there.
The procomp block is only 3", not 4"

Old 12-17-2007 | 08:58 PM
|
Originally Posted by Jditta
The procomp block is only 3", not 4"
Probably is. What I'd like to know why the heck all these lift companies do that. I should be fine though since I only needed 3" to get level and I'm adding 4" with the AAL.

Quick Reply: AAL vs block for 8" of lift, 04+