Scrap IFS

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007 | 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by Impact9
Cause IFS stinks for agressive off road use.

Plus it's much better to run the bigger tires on a solid axle over a IFS. Anything over 37's and I'd be sweating that I might break something offroad with IFS. I'll be getting 37's on my next tire change and that's the max I myself would do.
Total misnomer. IFS requires more planning and forethought from the driver.

check out 4wdtoyota owner magazine (i print it) i think it was november issue.

SAS looks cool and mean. but you build a IFS correctly and learn how to wheel IFS, its just as capable as a SAS truck. if you were to have a long travel IFS with coil overs your sitting pretty.

dont get me wrong, i love SAS trucks, but i want to see more REAL IFS wheelers. last i checked on your body, its in good shape so i doubt your hardcore wheeling. but again, free or damn near? good deal!

edited for example from magazine: long story short, later model tacoma quad cab (body in great shape!) running 33" tires with a 4" lift, driver was able to maneuver through obsticles that many others with SA front had troubles with.

Last edited by Klitch; 12-22-2007 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-23-2007 | 03:20 AM
Originally Posted by Klitch
Total misnomer. IFS requires more planning and forethought from the driver.
That's why I said aggressive.

But yea IFS can do some amazing stuff. Just don't expect much life out of it in a bind turning 40's.

Old 12-23-2007 | 12:01 PM
|
Also with a IFS ur ball joints go out quicker. So there is better parts life with a SAS.

Old 12-23-2007 | 12:16 PM
WOW!! I just read this thread and I must say it was an eye opener!! I would have never thought soo many people would want a straight axle front end. I thought the new IFS was the way to go...advancements in technoligy and all that, finally brought the truck out of the stone age.

Like Klitch said, makes you wonder why all these baha and pre-runner trucks are IFS then??

So is this conversion going to be a leaf spring front end or a coil spring type set up??

Old 12-23-2007 | 12:27 PM
|
Originally Posted by Galaxy
WOW!! I just read this thread and I must say it was an eye opener!! I would have never thought soo many people would want a straight axle front end. I thought the new IFS was the way to go...advancements in technoligy and all that, finally brought the truck out of the stone age.

Like Klitch said, makes you wonder why all these baha and pre-runner trucks are IFS then??

So is this conversion going to be a leaf spring front end or a coil spring type set up??

Well u look at all those trucks they are not jacked up that high and they got money for when something breaks. U look at rock crawers they have SFA.

IDK if it will be coil or leaf. I'm letting him put what he wants under it.

Old 12-23-2007 | 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by 97on37s
Well u look at all those trucks they are not jacked up that high and they got money for when something breaks. U look at rock crawers they have SFA.

IDK if it will be coil or leaf. I'm letting him put what he wants under it.

Well, you're kinda comparing apples to tires here...Each one of those is purpose built and the purposes are completely different. If you're point was that straigt axles are better because rock crawlers use them, then yea, for rock crawlers. I'm sure there's a darn good reason baha trucks use IFS. I'll also bet you baha trucks don't break anymore/any less than most crawler rigs neither.

Old 12-23-2007 | 01:24 PM
|
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Well, you're kinda comparing apples to tires here...Each one of those is purpose built and the purposes are completely different. If you're point was that straigt axles are better because rock crawlers use them, then yea, for rock crawlers. I'm sure there's a darn good reason baha trucks use IFS. I'll also bet you baha trucks don't break anymore/any less than most crawler rigs neither.

No I was trying to say that stright axles handle abuse than IFS. Like impacts and stuff. They both will handle abuse just that SAS will handle more abuse than IFS. They both have there good n bad points. Ok take this for example with Cobra Mustangs they have IRS, but 90 to 95 percent of people that drag race swap to a SRA. On the other hand people that road race leave the IRS. I don't care what u got when ever u abuse supentions systems as much as rock crawlers and bahas do things r going to break. IFS is better for a a street truck that is stock, but when u go up in tire size like 37s and above IFS will break easier than SAS. U understand man? If I'm wrong someone please let me know and tell me why.

Old 12-23-2007 | 02:33 PM
I think what galaxy was getting at is if you have the right IFS system with the right parts then it can take just as much abuse as a sfa system. The baja 1000 trucks can go the whole race and never worry about their suspension systems, and they aren't taking it easy for those 1000 miles either. At speeds over 100 MPH the suspension systems are taking a ton of abuse and stress. There is not clear winner to this discussion as there are benefits to both but i'm sure that ford spent hundreds if not thousands of hours with their engineers designing the most well-rounded suspension system for our trucks.

Old 12-23-2007 | 03:03 PM
Stop calling it a "straight axle", it's a "solid axle". There is a difference.

Are you going to go with a dana 44, or 60?
What kind of truck will it be pulled out of?

Also browse this forum section of fullsizebronco.. it has alot of good info.. some of it might be different for you since they are going from TTB-->SAS.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...splay.php?f=29

Last edited by Need4racin; 12-23-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-23-2007 | 03:18 PM
Flowin summed it up pretty good. In no way was I trying to say that IFS is better or that you are wrong about any comment you made in regards to how tough a front axle is. My rebuttle to your comments was basically the fact of you coming across like a solid front axle is the stroggest, period, and nothing else is superior. I'm simply saying it's 100% situational/application dependant.

Heck, in your last post you even made my point for me in your Mustang example. Same point I tried to make with the baha truck example. Neither is superior, it just depends on what you're gonna do with it.

Old 12-23-2007 | 07:04 PM
|
There is no clear winner everone knows that. I'm sorry I came across like SFA is the best. For so apps SFA is the best and for others IFS is the best. I guess what I'm tring to say is for a lifted truck with 37 n up tires SFA is a better set up. If I was lowering my truckor keeping it stock the IFS would be great. U also said it right Ford spent a lot of time to get the IFS right, but they never intended for them to be lifted up with big meat under them. One problem with IFS on my truck and I think for alot of people is tortion bars. That is a problem that ford corrected with the new body style IFS. With the elimation of tortions bar that is why Rize and others has 8 and 12in lifts.

Old 12-23-2007 | 07:17 PM
Oh dude...I'm with you on that one. Don't know what they were thinking when they invented torsion bars!! I've never been in a truck (mine, my buddys GMC, etc) with torsion bars that had a decent ride...comparatively speaking!! I would love to have someone explain to us the benefit of a torsion bar front suspension, cause I sure don't know what it is???? I'd almost love to have a NBS truck just to get away from them. I can't believe no one has an off-the-shelf easy to use coil-over conversion for pre '04 trucks!! I wish they did!

Old 12-23-2007 | 07:28 PM
|
With tortion bars they r mainly our suspention. Well like I said in my last post ford Corrected it with the new body style IFS. When they came out for the day it was good, but ford new they could improve on it alot that is why they changed. Just like a computer lets say windows me was good for the time, but they knew it could be upgraded so they came out with windows XP. It will always be like that. So do u know why I'm thinking about swaping to SFS? O by the way it will be a DANA 44.

Last edited by 97on37s; 12-23-2007 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-23-2007 | 07:51 PM
Suspended
Dana44+37's = WEAK. You should go big or go home man, find some dana 60's or hell mabey even some Rockwells. If you do a 44 up front you should definatly find a 60 for the rear and an 8lug 44 off an older f-250 for the front.

Old 12-23-2007 | 08:00 PM
|
I'm keeping my same wheels and DANNA 60 8 lug. So that wount work. We talked about putting chrome molly axles that will make the Danna 44 alot stronger. Thinks man, but we had already thought about that. A regular Danna 44 is stronger than my IFS anyways .

Quick Reply: Scrap IFS