`98 limo-like ride, `04 like a wooden cart

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007 | 09:58 PM
|
`98 limo-like ride, `04 like a wooden cart

Guys, as the title says, I have owned a Supercab Flareside 4x4 Off-Road package `98 for 3 and a half years that has the best ride of any truck I`ve ever ridden in. Very composed over rough roads, large bumps, etc., even with 213,000kms on the odometer. Now, two weeks ago I purchased an `04 Supercab Flareside FX4 and I`m about ready to park it and start driving my `98 again. The truck has 235,000kms on it and rides like there is NO suspension at all. On any surface other than a perfectly smooth flat new road, the frame is in a constant state of bump, quirk, jitter, or rebound. I have NEVER felt anythign like this on my `98. I can feel EVERY crack in the road, and I can`t stand it. At first I figured it was the tires (brand new Wild Spirit ATS LT 275 tires - manf. by `Multi-Mile Tire `). When I bought the truck they had close to 50psi of air in them and I have since brought them down to just under 40psi, possibly with a small positive effect but still tons to go. Most of the online reviews I read prior to buying the truck raved about the quiet composed ride, and so far this couldn`t be farther from the opposite of what I am experiencing. Not to mention the seats are as hard as a rock. When I get out of my `04 and into my `98 it feels like I am getting into a `79 Buick LeSabre...

So here`s my question:
Do millions of other people driving `04+ F-150`s have this problem or is it just me with `worn-out` suspension at 235,000kms. I know on a car it`s easy to tell if your struts are shot but never had any experience with anything like this on a truck. I want to take one with half the mileage out for a test and see what it does, but any insight into this matter would be greatly appreciated! Im glad I decided to keep the 98 around for a bit though cause if this is normal for the 04 Im getting rid of it a.s.a.p.!!!

Last edited by Taurus SHO; 12-25-2007 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-25-2007 | 11:19 PM
Try changing your shocks? Most people buy a vehicle, and drive it to its death on factory shocks, yours are probly due for a change. And for a 1/2 ton pickup you could probly afford to drop your tire pressure another 5 or 10 psi. I have a 2007 with 12000kms and its the smoothest riding pickup I have ever ridden in.

Quick Reply: `98 limo-like ride, `04 like a wooden cart