Bilsteins vs Kings

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008 | 11:46 PM
|
Bilsteins vs Kings

Well, I'm getting down into the final decisions for my lift with the dealer, and I still can't make up my mind about shocks. My truck is getting an 8" Rize lift, its more then likely going to end up a street queen, I'm really after a fairly smooth ride and decent handling for a lifted truck, does anybody has a suggestion for me? Would you do Kings or Bilsteins? Money isn't a factor if the increase in performance is worth the extra greenbacks, but at the same time I don't want to be throwing it down the drain seeing as it doesn't grow on trees. I think I might just get the Bilsteins for now, and upgrade to Kings if I feel the need, unless someone has some info that can make me change my mind.

Old 01-08-2008 | 11:52 PM
Well the Kings are sick as hell and you can crank them up 3in, and the ride is supposeto be good but not much more then bilstens, the kings are 1600. Im looking at Fox to see if they can make a pair

Old 01-08-2008 | 11:58 PM
|
Originally Posted by f150monster232
Well the Kings are sick as hell and you can crank them up 3in, and the ride is supposeto be good but not much more then bilstens, the kings are 1600. Im looking at Fox to see if they can make a pair
I think they are going to set me back a fair bit more. I am getting a quote with both prices, Kings and Bilsteins. I wouldn't mind Fox either, I know they make good stuff, just never heard of anyone running them.

What are you running right now? Your truck is actually one of the ones that really made me wanna lift mine all the more. My setup is going to be fairly similar to yours. How do you like it? Anything you'd do different if you were doing it all over again?

Old 01-09-2008 | 12:05 AM
I love my lift, it rides so good. Im running stock shocks because i wanted the kings but if you take a good look at them the coil on the shock isent really that much bigger then the stock one that means less travel. They just look really sick. The bilsteins are a cheap and great way to go but you still keep that long bracket at the end of your shock. I would go with the bilsteins and new UCAs and adjust the preload on them for 2ins so you wont have any rubbing.

Old 01-09-2008 | 12:54 AM
|
Originally Posted by f150monster232
I love my lift, it rides so good. Im running stock shocks because i wanted the kings but if you take a good look at them the coil on the shock isent really that much bigger then the stock one that means less travel. They just look really sick. The bilsteins are a cheap and great way to go but you still keep that long bracket at the end of your shock. I would go with the bilsteins and new UCAs and adjust the preload on them for 2ins so you wont have any rubbing.
Who makes good UCA's...Camburg? Will I rub with just the 8" and 37's? How about the gears? Are they worth it? I got them to quote me for 4.88s.

Old 01-09-2008 | 01:20 AM
camburg make pretty good UCA's and so does total chaos but they are a little bit more expensive. if your not worried about spending a little bit more money then i would say total chaos.

I personally would go with King coilovers... do it right the first time and save yourself some money in the long run

you shouldnt rub with 37's but make sure you get the 2" AAL.

Old 01-09-2008 | 01:48 AM
|
I wasn't planning on changing out my UCA's, but the kings are sounding better and better to me. I'm ordering my stuff way in advance so I could get a custom color. Maybe silver to match the stripe on my truck

Old 01-09-2008 | 01:50 AM
|
Originally Posted by fx4f150guy
you shouldnt rub with 37's but make sure you get the 2" AAL.

Yup, I told the guy I ordered from, if I don't get a AAL with it I aint buying lol. I was actually considering going bigger then a 2" though, I want it come out with the stock stance, just 8" higher front and rear.

Old 01-09-2008 | 02:02 AM
when you look at your truck you will be stoked when its done but when you see kings in the front you will be that much mor stoked! i would do it if money is no object. bilseins are sweet but they dont compare to the travel, getting rid of the stut exstension and the look.

gears are awesome it made a really big differance, i feel like they were worth every peny. pluse your gas mileage will like you alot more and so will your trany.

one more thing, go with 38's later your going to wish you had them. if its a street queen you dront really need UCA's untill your stock ones wear out.

Old 01-09-2008 | 02:06 AM
|
Originally Posted by bud8817
when you look at your truck you will be stoked when its done but when you see kings in the front you will be that much mor stoked! i would do it if money is no object. bilseins are sweet but they dont compare to the travel, getting rid of the stut exstension and the look.

gears are awesome it made a really big differance, i feel like they were worth every peny. pluse your gas mileage will like you alot more and so will your trany.

one more thing, go with 38's later your going to wish you had them. if its a street queen you dront really need UCA's untill your stock ones wear out.
I was thinking of going 38's right off the bat, but I think I'll wear out a set of 37's first and see how that goes. Pulls off the line like stock and goes fast with 4.88s? I don't want to be stuck going slow cause I have a tall gear ratio. I'd like to ride in one with Kings vs a Truck with Bilsteins, but then again, the lift is all for show in the end, so the shocks might aswell be too. I think they'll look good if I get them in silver, alittle more money, but why not. How do you guys find running without fender flares? Not to hard on the paint?

Last edited by 07HD; 01-09-2008 at 02:09 AM.
Old 01-09-2008 | 02:09 AM
i dont have any chips in my paint and i offroad alot. plus im not a fan of any of the fender flares out there for our trucks.

my tires stick out really far and my paint looks perfect. i think ford used some really good paint on our trucks.

Old 01-09-2008 | 02:14 AM
|
Originally Posted by bud8817
i dont have any chips in my paint and i offroad alot. plus im not a fan of any of the fender flares out there for our trucks.

my tires stick out really far and my paint looks perfect. i think ford used some really good paint on our trucks.
I hear ya there, I can't for the life of me find a set of flares I'd run, I like the look without em more I think.

Did you end up deciding to keep your truck in the end? You were thinking about selling it for awhile weren't you?

Old 01-09-2008 | 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by 07HD
I was thinking of going 38's right off the bat, but I think I'll wear out a set of 37's first and see how that goes. Pulls off the line like stock and goes fast with 4.88s? I don't want to be stuck going slow cause I have a tall gear ratio. I'd like to ride in one with Kings vs a Truck with Bilsteins, but then again, the lift is all for show in the end, so the shocks might aswell be too. I think they'll look good if I get them in silver, alittle more money, but why not. How do you guys find running without fender flares? Not to hard on the paint?
I would go with 38x15.50R20 if you get the kings... that will look bitchin
I personally like the xenon fender flares and somewhat like street scene flares. im not sure how hard they are to paint though.

Old 01-09-2008 | 02:28 AM
|
That would look pretty sick If I was going to do 38's right off the get go I might do a 12" lift instead. But thats getting pretty big.

What I want, and what I am getting a quote for(hopefully they email it to me tomorrow) is..

8" Rize Lift w/driveshaft
Add a Leaf
5100 Bilstein Front Shocks
5150 Bilstein Rear Shocks
4.88 Gear Swap Front and Rear
37/13.50R20 Toyo Mud Tires
20" KMC Hoss Chrome Wheels
Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover

And I had them add Amp Research Steps and Kings onto the quote aswell, just to see the cost difference.

f150monster232 Just out of curiousity what backspacing are you running? I like the way the wheels sit on your truck.

Old 01-09-2008 | 02:37 AM
I vote for Rize 12"

Quick Reply: Bilsteins vs Kings