Rear End Destroyed Because of Improper Driveshaft Angle After Lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008 | 02:06 PM
Hey FordTech (I like the name ) Can you posibly explain some more about the

"also the solenoid on the firewall was prone to water intruision causing a very similar symptom."

Which solenoid ? The 4x4 one ? is this true on all the newer models ? ?

would Silicone or some other seal help you think ? Thanks for anymore input

Old 01-24-2008 | 10:15 PM
|
Update-

Got under it today and had a chance to replace a wheel seal O-ring that wasnt in the best shape when we installed the lift.

Put the O-Ring in, and still having the same vibration. Also, I noticed 4 Wheel Drive is working flawlessly now. So flawless that it stops the vibration when it is engaged!

Me and my buddies are stumped. Someone suggested a bad tie-rod, but that doesn't make any sense. We are going to check the tie-rods tomorrow when I get off of work. Does this sound like a reasonable statement.

U-Joints are not making noise. T-case is not making noise, and the differential fluid has no metal shavings and the parts seem to be in tip-top shape.

I really wish the Ford dealer didn't try to screw me because I really am getting frustrated with this problem!

Old 01-29-2008 | 06:09 AM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
Hey FordTech (I like the name ) Can you posibly explain some more about the

"also the solenoid on the firewall was prone to water intruision causing a very similar symptom."

Which solenoid ? The 4x4 one ? is this true on all the newer models ? ?

would Silicone or some other seal help you think ? Thanks for anymore input

Same profession possibly?

Yes it is the firewall mounted solenoid for the 4x4, the newer style has a rainhat on it to prevent water runoff from the cowel. Silicone won't fix it.

It doesn't sound like a bad tie rod, with the front end jacked up rock the tire side to side and look for any play in the suspension if you want to check it. It's really hard to give you an accurate answer on your troubles without getting alll the specific details. What speed is the vibration worst at, does it get worse under acceleration or decel? Is it just a vibration or a loud grinding/clicking noise? If you have a bad hub just the O-ring may not fix it.

Old 01-29-2008 | 12:35 PM
Hmm... Well thanks for the heads up bud.

And I would agree its pretty hard to accurately help you, when I haven't been behind the wheel myself and actually felt whats going on. To me, it still sounds like a bad hub. The fact that you say it stop when engaged makes me think perhaps the vacuum isn't quite pulling the hub completely apart, leaving some grinding, giving you the vibrations. Did you take the hub all the way off, and look inside. Check out its teeth, see if your having some issues down in there.

Do they get worse when you brake hard ? The harder you brake, the louder it gets ? What about in a turn ? Will it get louder going into a right or left turn ? Can you feel it get stronger under acceleration ?
Finally, like Fortech asked, can you really feel it clunk ? or is it a slight humm and vibration ? A little more discription on the sound may help ( I know its hard to do through the typed word, but anything helps)

Quick Reply: Rear End Destroyed Because of Improper Driveshaft Angle After Lift