Rear End Destroyed Because of Improper Driveshaft Angle After Lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008 | 12:37 PM
|
Rear End Destroyed Because of Improper Driveshaft Angle After Lift

Ok, It is official. My rear end is destroyed after only 6,000 miles on my Procomp Stage II lift.

Here is what Ford told me.

The Driveshaft angle is at 27 degrees and should have been at 14 degrees. Shim and Spacer kit should have been installed. $1,700 for a new rear end with a labor rate of $85.00 and hour.

I did the labor and install on the front end of the lift, and took it to 4 Wheel Parts to have the rear done. I am in touch with the installer that did the lift at 4 Wheel Parts. He does every F150 lift that comes through the door, and does all the Regency lifts for Ford that are then distributed around the nation. Never has had this problem.

Does anyone have any advice on this matter. Any would be appreciated.

Old 01-14-2008 | 02:21 PM
did it come with the spacer in the kit? Did you give the guy the spacer at 4wp?

Old 01-14-2008 | 02:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I don't understand why you didn't do the rearend yourself if you could do the more complicated front end??

with my fabtech lift all i had to do in the rear was add the block supplied

Old 01-14-2008 | 02:28 PM
Suspended
wow, that really sucks. Did you have a huge amount of sag in the rear? shim kits dont come with the lift kit, you have to order them separate, they are like $30. Keep me posted what 4wp does. I wish the best for ya.

Old 01-14-2008 | 02:39 PM
|
I should have, Just got tired and lazy! Would have taken me an hour at most.

The kit did not come with a Driveshaft spacer, and no where in the install instructions for the kit did it say anything about checking the driveshaft angles. I knew something about that was not correct.

The installer put like 4 shims in for free on both sides. Above the lift blocks. I think they just used them for some additional lift in the rear.

My service advisor, which is great by the way, is sending pictures of all the destroyed parts to the 4WP installer and manager of the store that installed the rear. Of course, they have been acting like it was a previous problem with my drivetrain. I will keep everyone updated.

Maybe 4WP will throw in an air locker for all of my troubles !!!!

Old 01-14-2008 | 02:46 PM

Ya mine didn't come with any spacers or shims either. Like i said all i did in the rear with put in the blocks that were in the kit.

The only spacers i had were for the front axles.

I guess it's a bad comparison since i had a fabtech but how many ways are there to lift the rear of a truck?

I don't have any experiance with 4wp but i'm guessing you won't get anything out of them. hopefully i'm wrong for your sake,

Old 01-14-2008 | 03:16 PM
^^^ maybe because we have different body styles, but on my fabtech 6" lift (install done myself) i definately did have the driveshaft spacer.

Sorry to hear this bud. Sounds like some chitty luck. Hopefully someone will step up to the plate, admit they were wrong, and fix your problem. Definately keep us posted

Old 01-14-2008 | 03:19 PM

or maybe i will be starting a thread just like this in a few months!!

ha ha, just kidding it's been 2 years since i put mine on so i think the 04-08's must just be different.

Old 01-14-2008 | 03:20 PM
|
4 Wheel Parts is slowly saying it is now not their fault. Saying it was a Ford U-Joint that was the problem.

The ford Service Advisor and Engineer is determined it is because the driveshaft angle is off 13 degrees.

Does anyone know where I can pick up a Ford rear end for a decent price. I am inclined to just fix it myself.

Old 01-14-2008 | 03:22 PM

if you want to change to 4.56 gears i have a set for the rear that i would give you a good price on.

but ya it would be cheaper to get the whole thing.

try a junk yard.

Old 01-14-2008 | 05:41 PM
Was there any signs of a problem like vibration or noise or any thing I haved heard any one on here talk about using a tapered spacer to correct pnion angle only spacers or blocks for lift.

Old 01-14-2008 | 05:56 PM
|
Nope, just a grind and the horrible vibration.

Got to talking with a friend of mine who is a tech at Subaru, and he said it would be showing signs if it was because of the driveshaft angle. Said it sounded like a bearing went out, then chewed up the gears and everything else that happened.

Old 01-14-2008 | 06:07 PM
try taking it to an outside source if possible ? Perhaps an un-biased tech who knows what he is talking about. you have the right of a 2nd outside opinion. That would probably be your best bet for a real answer.

Old 01-14-2008 | 06:19 PM
|
Thats what I am doing. Me and a buddy are going to get in there sometime this week and see what all is destroyed. Hopefully I can just get a ring and pinion gear set and drop it in.

Driveshaft is in tact, U-joint as well, so that is one less expense.

I cannot imagine the housing being destroyed or the axles like my service advisor said.

I am going to pick it up tonight. When I get inside I will snap some pictures and post!

Thanks for all the replies

Old 01-14-2008 | 06:29 PM
^^^ just another thing to know: when the ring and pinion fail... you can have some nasty problems! I have seen shrapnel shoot out of a diff cover out on some trails. Made a nasty noise, started grinding a bit and chit exploded through the dam cover! Had to be one of the craziest things I have seen. Also, during "failure" you can have parts chew up bearing and seals, so I would get a "master install kit" if replacing ring and pinion.

Quick Reply: Rear End Destroyed Because of Improper Driveshaft Angle After Lift