Rcd 6"

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008 | 02:21 AM
yes, the 6" RCD kit includes bilstein shocks that have a small clip which can be placed in one of 2 settings..... this will change the relation of where the stock coil sits on the shock itself. there arent any spacers involved, it just lowers the shock inside the spring compared to the stock set up. so, overall the length is bigger so gain the lift.

the part number for the shocks with the kit is:
Front: 50-BE5-B316-T0
Rear: 50-BE5-B317-T0

Last edited by mattd17; 01-20-2008 at 02:26 AM.
Old 01-20-2008 | 10:27 AM
I would also like to see a pic matt with the 33's. I have been wanting to put this rcd kit on my truck, but my tires are still new. I was afriad that the 33's would just look silly.

jrbhc8

Old 01-20-2008 | 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by mattd17
yes, the 6" RCD kit includes bilstein shocks that have a small clip which can be placed in one of 2 settings..... this will change the relation of where the stock coil sits on the shock itself. there arent any spacers involved, it just lowers the shock inside the spring compared to the stock set up. so, overall the length is bigger so gain the lift.

the part number for the shocks with the kit is:
Front: 50-BE5-B316-T0
Rear: 50-BE5-B317-T0
I'm not really talking about how the spring works on the shock. I'm talking about the shock itself. But since you said there's no spacers or anything, the shock itself has got to be different. I know from some phone calls that RCD has a relationship with Bilstein and sometimes you can get a shock from RCD and a shock from Bilstein and they will be the exact same shock with different part numbers.

I'd like to see a B316 and a C298 side by side to see the difference. If the RCD kit has no spacers, then it must just simply be a longer shock. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-20-2008 | 06:45 PM
|
Here is a pic of the kit......it may help!

Last edited by mudpudler; 01-20-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-20-2008 | 08:27 PM
Doesn't the RCD kit installed at the 6" setting put additional stress on the C/V angles and ball joints as a leveling kit would?

It was my understanding that the RCD kit gives you the extra lift for the 6" over the 4.5" by changing the setting on the leveling type shock that is included with the kit.

Old 01-20-2008 | 08:34 PM
there isnt any extra stress on the vc axles or balljoints.... that is because of the longer steering knuckles. the reason a spacer leveling kit puts worse angles, is the fact that the stock steering knuckle is used. with any lift kit, the knuckle is changed out to a much longer knuckle, which maintains the stock geometry, or very close to it.

i will try to get some pics up on my gallery here..... my wife is out of town with our camera, so ill see if i can borrow one tomorrow. i honestly dont think that the 33's look that bad... my size is equivalent to 33x13, but i will be getting some 35's when i either sell these, or they wear out.

Old 01-21-2008 | 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by mattd17
there isnt any extra stress on the vc axles or balljoints.... that is because of the longer steering knuckles. the reason a spacer leveling kit puts worse angles, is the fact that the stock steering knuckle is used. with any lift kit, the knuckle is changed out to a much longer knuckle, which maintains the stock geometry, or very close to it.
I know how a suspension lift works - I installed my own

My question is this:

How does the RCD kit gain the extra lift for the 6" setting over the 4.5" setting? Does it come with two different sets of steering knuckles and sub-frames (one set for the 4.5" setting and one set for the 6" setting?) or does it use a "leveling" type front shock?

If it uses a "leveling" type front shock, then the 6" setting is essentially doing the same thing to the ball joints and C/V angles that a 1.5" spacer would be doing. As you mentioned, the only way to maintain stock angles on ball joints, etc, it has to have longer steering knuckles.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just read in one of your posts that the front shocks have two different positions for the spring seat, so that pretty much answers my question - it uses a "leveling" type shock to get the additional height for the 6" setting.

If you get a chance and are able to, would you mind taking a picture of your upper control arms/ball joints and C/V angles? I'd like to see what they look like with the 6" setting. Thanks

Old 01-24-2008 | 10:37 PM
???

PICS PLEASE ...THANKS

Quick Reply: Rcd 6"