Help with Lower Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008 | 06:42 PM
|
Exclamation Help with Lower Ball Joints

So the tire shop told me that my lower ball joints were gone. With 124k miles, they're probably right. So I get it all torn apart and I can't get the knuckle to seperate from the shaft. I put a block of wood on the shaft and hit the shaft to drive it back. I can't tell that it has moved at all. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the knuckle off the shaft.

It's a 99F150 4x4 FYI.

My brother just went to go get a big set of gear pullers.

Old 01-27-2008 | 09:22 PM
|
Well the gear pullers did the trick. I would add those to must have tools when doing the lower ball joints along with a pickle fork and a ball joint press. At least if you have four wheel drive. The next side will go much faster now.

Old 01-27-2008 | 10:54 PM
Suspended
just an FYI i had to take the Knuckle and shaft to the machine shop and have them put it in the press to get it out. It was stuck so bad that a 40 ton press couldnt get it apart. They had to put a torch on it to expand the metal before they put it in the press so it would come apart. Cant u switch the lower ball joint without takin the knuckle off. I replaced my ball joints when i put the lift on so it was all torn apart. But i though you could do it with the knuckle still on the truck.

Old 01-29-2008 | 09:56 PM
|
I guess you could take the whole CV axle assembly loose and leave the knuckle on the spline. With the axle still in the knuckle there isn't room to get a press in there. Also there isn't enough play to get the knuckle down low enough to get the bottom of it off the lower ball joint, the axle is in the way. So I would say yes you have to take the axle out of the knuckle. As long as you have a set of pullers you should be fine.

Quick Reply: Help with Lower Ball Joints