lift and tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks man it is probably going to be about a month before i get my lift put on (waiting on tax money to get back) but I`ll definately give you first shot at buying them, I`ll pm you when I get my other tires and wheels if your still interested by then.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
look at bigtruck311's profile on here, hes got really good galleries of his truck..and guess wut he has? 03 F150 FX4 with 38" baja claws and 16" rims

id take a look at his profile, cuz it would give you a good idea of wut theyll look like on yur truck, and his look damn good

Old 02-01-2008, 07:02 AM
thanks 1BAF150, that is the exact look I am going for..

I noticed in the pictures of his truck that he has airbags in the back would you have to have those to be able to get enough clearance or could you just use a bigger add a leaf or block which would be better?

also how did he get the front that high is it just the torsion bars are cranked up on top of the other two lifts or does he have some kind of adjustable shocks?

He also has king shocks do you have to have those or is there an alternative like maybe billistein shocks?

thanks for all the help you guys are awsome!!!F150online rocks!!!!: :

Last edited by f150 rider; 02-01-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:11 PM
no, airbags are only used for carrying loads, so if hes pullin a boat, cargo, etc..he can pump up the bags and level out the truck if its saggin, bags dont give you any extra clearance. My opinion is to put add-a-leafs in the back on top of the lifts, get coil spacers in the front, and then crank your torsion bars....

If you dont have a body lift yet, you could put a 3" body lift on, but dont put one on any higher than that...With everything though, you should have plenty of clearance..

On the shocks question, Id go with rancho, fabtech, or king shocks...all are good brands..but im not gonna say bilstein shocks cuz im not familiar with em, but if you wanna research em, go for it...ive jus never heard of em bein major off-road shocks

No prob bud, Matt

Old 02-02-2008, 12:46 PM
So here is a list of things I will need from what I have gatherd so far

3" body lift, already have

6" fabtech suspension lift

2" add-a-leafs

crank torsion bars

shocks, still undecided what brand or size would be the best, I guess it would be the same size shock as you would use with a 6" lift because the body lift does not effect the suspension?

4.88 gears in the front and rear, I dont know what brand would be good? I think I read some where on here 9.75 for f150s with 5.4 engine, someone tell me if this is right...

maybe a detroit locker in the rear and leave the front with just the 4.88 gear and no locker, can you do this with just the rear locked?

that is all I can think of right now is there any thing I am missing?

I think what I am going to do is when I get the shop to put the lift on I will get them to do the add-a-leafs and gears at same time while they already have the rearend torn apart and then later I will just order my wheels and tires already balanced and just bolt them on myself, I think I could do the lift install, but I just dont have time and would rather someone who knows what they are doing install it.

Again I aprecciate all the help I am definately going to do all of this, im just paying for it as I go, I thought about putting it on a credit card but I hate having to make a payment every month not to mention all the interest I`ll have to pay

Last edited by f150 rider; 02-02-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:14 PM
You remember tht F150 i told you to go look at?, Bigtruck311's profile?...go back and look at his, because i think all he has is a 6" suspension lift and a 3" body lift, and hes clearin 38"x15.50 baja claws..

But to answer the shock question, yea, theyd prolly be the same size, cuz your body lift wont effect your suspension...tht much at least...but, i think rancho has a new 2.5" wide shock out made fr the heavier suspension sets, so you might wanna check em out...cuz youll need em with those 38"s

And if your gettin work done at a shop, let them do as little as possible..
1. Saves you money
2. Shops dont always know how to install stuff, so they improvise, and thts not good when your spensin tht much money
3. They charge out the *** for body lifts,( wut i would do is install the back of the body lift yourself, then let the shop do the front)
4. Its better for you to do the work, tht way you know wuts under your truck, and wut its limitations are, and plus...who doesnt want to learn about their own truck?

And i have absolutely no knowledge of lockers, but i think you can lock the rear and keep the front normal..

BTW-i want to see some pics man when all this is done..

Old 02-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks man , I`ll look into those shocks they sound pretty good.

The shop I might be taking it to is a very reputable shop they are probably the best around here, I know what to look for if they dont do it right! they quoted me 1895 for the lift and 700 labor plus 188 tax for a total of about 2800 dollars installed out the door for the 6" lift, do yall think this is to high?

if so I could do the install and like you said I like to know whats under my truck as well and know its done right, also is there any special tools I would need for the install. I have air tools, torch and a welder if needed, do yall think I could install it in a weekend?

and I did look at Bigtruck311's profile he has one sweet truck and like they say one picture is like a 1000 words and I will post some pics when I get done and if I do the install I`ll take pics as I go

Old 02-03-2008, 12:11 AM
As far as the price goes, i really dont know of thts good or not, i know shops around here charge about $1200 for a 3" body lift....

And the 6" suspension you should be able to install in a weekend, if you get a friend tht knows wut hes doin to help...and yea, those tools should be be good..btw, wut brand lift is it?

Im fixin to install a 7.5" lift on my 2WD f150 this weekend,(if it comes in when they say its supposed to)...and i know we can get most of it knocked out in one day...cuz weve already put 2 others on my buddies trucks...so im thinkin yours should be about the same

Old 02-03-2008, 12:23 AM
I'm installing a 3in body lift and 6 in fabtech now on mine. The fabtech came with shocks. I got the body lift for 139 and the fabtech for 1500. I'm doing the install myself with the help of a friend. Don't have torches but I wish I did since one of the bed bolts is not coming out. I will be getting gears right after then wheels and tires. Still haven't decided which wheels and tires.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:14 AM
sounds good eliminate good luck on the install, please post pics of the install if you can and when your done, I would love to see some...

PS. Awsome truck to man!!!

Old 02-03-2008, 09:43 AM
I will post picks of the body lift when it done today and if i get to start on the suspension maybe i can post it too. I like the way your truck looks kinda what made me want to raise mine up. I did see a pic of a truck with both lifts on here too running 36's and I liked it
Right now for tires I'm thinking about going with the Pro Comp Xtreme AT's but still haven't decided for sure.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:21 AM
If your gonna have the 6" and the 3" body lift, you might as well go ahead and put 37's on cuz the difference in price wont be much from the 36's...plus, if your gettin new gears, then why not?

and trust me, youll kick yourself later for not gettin bigger tires...and 37's look great on any ford, no matter wut

Old 02-03-2008, 01:12 PM
I got my stock pictures up for some before pics...and as soon as they lift comes in and tires go on, ill have some after pics up

Old 02-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by 1BAF150
I got my stock pictures up for some before pics...and as soon as they lift comes in and tires go on, ill have some after pics up
Sounds good man, I cant wait to get my lift, there will be plenty of pics when I do!!

Old 02-04-2008, 05:56 PM
does anyone know how to get the gallery icon to appear by your name?
On everyones tht has a gallery icon, it shows their name, location, then their vehicle info...but for some reason its not showin up on mine...and ive made a gallery..any suggestions?

Quick Reply: lift and tires