02 f150 torsion bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 f150 torsion bars

I just want to lift my truck a few inches. Everyone says just crank your torsion bars. My question is, can I get longer aftermarket torsion bars or is the stock ones my only option?

Old 01-29-2008, 09:09 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have shopped and I've never seen aftermarket torsion bars...for our truck or the other body style trucks. Just to make sure, you do know the SuperCrew torsion bars are shorter than any other body style F-150 right?? But I haven't seen aftermarket for either one.

Either way, just changing a torsion bar wont raise your truck any. The ride heigth is still determined by how much you pre load the key way thing in the back. So to answer your question, yes, cranking the torsion bars is the only way...besides a lift kit obviously.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Galaxy
I have shopped and I've never seen aftermarket torsion bars...for our truck or the other body style trucks. Just to make sure, you do know the SuperCrew torsion bars are shorter than any other body style F-150 right??

Uuuuh, no. The supercrew bars are the same length as the standard cab and supercab. The difference is in the spring rate of the bar, and the supercrew bars are actually the heaviest of the three.

IIRC, the 7700lb payload bars are longer, and the cross-member is located further back, but don't quote me on that one...

Last edited by GIJoeCam; 01-29-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:46 PM
I cranked up the torsion bars. It was really easy, just had to put some elbow grease to it. I probably turned each bolt about 7 complete revolutions and got 1.25" easy. I still have plenty thread left to go higher but figured the 1.25" would look best with the 265/75/R16s Toyo's I'm installing.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Everyone, thanks for the reply's. I did not think aftermarket bars would be longer. I just thought that cranking up stock torsions would put alot stress on them, but you guys did answer my question for me. So all I need is some keys for the bars I guess. Thinks everyone.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't waste your money on the aftermarket keys... they're nothign but a headache to install and they accomplish the same exact thing as the ones you already have: They increase the preload on the torsion bars. Just adjust the ones you already have.

-Joe

Old 01-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by GIJoeCam
Don't waste your money on the aftermarket keys... they're nothign but a headache to install and they accomplish the same exact thing as the ones you already have: They increase the preload on the torsion bars. Just adjust the ones you already have.

-Joe
Thanks for the answers and advice.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GIJoeCam
Uuuuh, no. The supercrew bars are the same length as the standard cab and supercab. The difference is in the spring rate of the bar, and the supercrew bars are actually the heaviest of the three.

IIRC, the 7700lb payload bars are longer, and the cross-member is located further back, but don't quote me on that one...

I noticed you don't have a SuperCrew, so here's the challenge. Go find one and park right beside him (or her) and compare...or take a tape measure....then come back and let us know what you discovered!!

I had heard the rate was different on the SuperCrews, but wasn't sure. But yes they are shorter than any other body style.

Jay...like everyone has said, do not buy aftermarket keys...either crank up what you have or leave them alone and get a lift kit. There's no "added stress" to any of the components.

Last edited by Galaxy; 01-30-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Galaxy
I noticed you don't have a SuperCrew, so here's the challenge. Go find one and park right beside him (or her) and compare...or take a tape measure. I had heard the rate was different on the SuperCrews, but wasn't sure. But yes they are shorter than any other body style.

Jay...like everyone has said, do not buy aftermarket keys...either crank up what you have or leave them alone and get a lift kit. There's no "added stress" to any of the components.
Galaxy, Thanks for the advice. The only reason I ask these questions is I want to go with 33's and don't want it to look over lifted by doing a six inch lift. Thank you for all your help.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:45 PM
crank your existing torsion bars! you can clear the 33's... or get a 3" Body Lift, you can clear 35's with that but with 33's it wont look over lifted! use the money that you were gonna use on those keys to get yourself a Performance Accessories Body Lift as long as they are installed the right way they look nice! just a thought!

Old 01-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Don't forget to get the front end re-aligned after you crank the torsion bars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way that's what I did to my 01 chevy to level it out and it worked great.

Quick Reply: 02 f150 torsion bars