weird noise maybe ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008 | 06:02 AM
|
weird noise maybe ball joints?

Quick question guys.

Whenever I go over bumps or turn my steering wheel either way, my truck makes this horrible squeaking, almost like a squeaky bed noise. It sounds like something needs lube or something. Any ideas? My bro says I should probably check the ball joints. How easy is this job for the front end of a 1997 2WD F150?

Thank you for your time.

Josh

Old 02-22-2008 | 07:36 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Your bro is right. THe ball joints are probably going. If you have the mechanical skill and right tools you can do it. Search around on this forum( using the search function) and you will find a ton of information about them.

Old 02-22-2008 | 09:45 AM
i had the same problem on my 97 2wd. i took in into a shop and the mechanic said he never seen such worn out ball joints on a truck before. they ended up replacing the ball joints and tie rod ends.

Old 02-22-2008 | 12:55 PM
|
Thanks alot guys for the help!!

I will get to fixing those right away! I don't need to have an accident because of that!

-Josh

Old 02-23-2008 | 10:16 AM
I just bought my F-150 three weeks ago, and had the same exact squeaking. It was the lower ball joints. It's easy to check them. Take a floor jack and lift up one of the front wheels a couple of inches off the ground. Slide a prybar under the tire and pry up. If you have vertical slop in it, it's the ball joint. Be sure to check both sides.

Old 02-23-2008 | 01:11 PM
The easiest way to check the ball joints is to jack the front end up enough to put your hand under the tire. One hand top, one bottom and push with one while pulling with the other. No play should be felt, like a slight clicking. While there, drop the truck and check your tie rods. Inner rod ends are mounted parallel to the ground, outers perpendicular. Grab the outer and push/pull up and down, they should rotate on the ball of the rod, but no internal play or clicking should be felt. Check the inners the same way, just push pull the other way. Replace with greaseable ones, ball joints and rods if they are crapped out. Let us know how you make out or if more info is needed, search here too, it's a common problem. How are the shocks on this baby? Stabilizer end links too? See if they aren't making the noise, but chances are it's a ball joint.

Quick Reply: weird noise maybe ball joints?