BadA$$ Lift Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008 | 01:23 PM
|
Talking BadA$$ Lift Questions

I have been doing alot of searching around this site and reading what everyone else has to say about lifts and I have figured out what I want for the most part but still have a couple of questions.

I'm going for the best lift I can get for my 07 F-150. I have basically decided on an rize 8" lift. As most of y'all recommend this lift to be one of the best out there. I would like to go all out, traction bars, UCAs, after market coil overs, possible dual shocks in the back. What kind of shocks should I look into? I want it to ride the best, my truck will be on pavement 90% time but would like to be able to take it off road every now and then and would like to have the confidence that nothing will break. Also what about steering stabilizers? Do they help alot on IFS? If I had a solid front axle I would get them for sure but i'm uncertain if I would need them on the f150?

Also as far as towing I tow a trailer with jet skis quite often as well as a 24 foot boat every now and then. Will my truck sag in the back when that weight is applied to it? If so can you get airbags for lifted trucks in the rear?

Thanks in advance let me know what yall think.. I want my truck to be sweet.

Old 04-03-2008 | 02:25 PM
Coilovers: King or Sway-A-Way would be your best bet. Very high quality shocks.

Dual shocks in the back wouldn't be necessary, but it may LOOK cool. If thats your reason for it, I'd do it. As for function, there really isn't much. Traction bars and shocks would be plenty to keep that *** end down. Many people who run "dual shocks" leave one shocks "open valved" or basically an empty tube for looks, while the other shock does all the dampening.

Steering stabalizers are sweet. Solid front or IFS, both will get some steering wobble fed up to the steering wheel when running the big ole tires. Also, if you off-road and hit a lot of hard bumps and what not, it helps absorb the nergy, instead of your arms doing it.

Generally people use a rear lift block to give rear lift, which would keep the same distance bewteen the frame and top of the leaf spring, not sure if the air bags would still work, but I would think so. if not, AAL would be the way to go, stiffen up that rear and help it from sagging. Also look into a Weight Distributing Hitch. Cost a couple extra bucks but helps spread the weight your towing through out your whole frame (instead of the back half)

Old 04-03-2008 | 02:34 PM
|
Thanks, wont do the dual in the back. Also is it possible to do coil overs in the back? If so what would be the advantage? Would I want 2.0 or 2.5 shocks? Also what about Fox shocks? I have heard good things about them as well. Do you have to use blocks on the Rize kit or is there another option?

Old 04-03-2008 | 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by willkr07
Thanks, wont do the dual in the back. Also is it possible to do coil overs in the back? If so what would be the advantage? Would I want 2.0 or 2.5 shocks? Also what about Fox shocks? I have heard good things about them as well. Do you have to use blocks on the Rize kit or is there another option?
You can use the blocks or all new leaf springs. Can't do coilovers in the back. I'd go 2.5 shocks in the rear IMO.

Old 04-03-2008 | 02:47 PM
you can do coilover in the back if you want, and you have some true fabbing skills. If thats not in your bag, then I'd suggest sticking with leafs. It would cost a bundle to link the rear and coil it, plus you would lose towing/hauling capabilities. But it would give a real smooth ride, and give you plenty of flex. IMO not worth the work.

You definately want 2.5" shocks. Fox shocks are ok, but there is a guy on this site, and a buddy of mine who have had nothing but problems with them. the valving is odd, and they leak. Other then that, I have also heard a ton of good things about them, but those little mis-haps are enough to keep me away.

Rear can be lifted with block, all new leafs, or a combo of that.

Old 04-03-2008 | 02:57 PM
rear coils are easy if you can weld yourself up a 4 link setup or a ladder bar/panhard bar setup

Old 04-03-2008 | 03:16 PM
^^ indeed, but I haven't seen too many guys on this site who are into fabrication, or serious mods. Most people tend to like "bolt ons" and for my truck, I know I do. I save the fabbing for my little Samurai.

You'll have to take the axle out, shave it down bare (no more spring perches etc) you'll have to find the right coils (for the lift and the weight of the truck) you'll need to weld link tabs onto the axle, as well as make link points on the frame. A couple other little things and you'll be golden.

I remember RIZE made a show truck to show off their lift, and they put some coils in the rear. I'll see if I can find it.

Last edited by MercedesTech; 04-03-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2008 | 03:26 PM
|
Originally Posted by Jditta
You can use the blocks or all new leaf springs. Can't do coilovers in the back. I'd go 2.5 shocks in the rear IMO.
Alright, I just saw a couple of trucks with the coilovers in the back and was curious.

Originally Posted by MercedesTech
you can do coilover in the back if you want, and you have some true fabbing skills. If thats not in your bag, then I'd suggest sticking with leafs. It would cost a bundle to link the rear and coil it, plus you would lose towing/hauling capabilities. But it would give a real smooth ride, and give you plenty of flex. IMO not worth the work.

You definately want 2.5" shocks. Fox shocks are ok, but there is a guy on this site, and a buddy of mine who have had nothing but problems with them. the valving is odd, and they leak. Other then that, I have also heard a ton of good things about them, but those little mis-haps are enough to keep me away.

Rear can be lifted with block, all new leafs, or a combo of that.

Alright thanks alot for the help, I will do new leafs.

Does anyone know about air bags on lifted trucks?

Old 04-03-2008 | 03:36 PM
going with new leafs (vs. blocks) is a good choice, but that means you will most likely have to get some kinda of custom bagging. The new leafs, with as much arc as they need, might be stiff enough to prevent sagging

Old 04-03-2008 | 03:39 PM
Suspended
I agree with everyone as far as going with rize, top notch kit and a great product as a whole. Whenever you are ready to order just give me a call and we can get you setup with a great deal.

http://www.modbargains.com/product.a..._F150_04-08_KY

Old 04-03-2008 | 08:07 PM
Go with a 12" Rize. You'll love it.

Old 04-03-2008 | 09:04 PM
^^^ truck is BEAUTIFUL ^^^^

If you have the cash, definitely go for it. Doesn't RIZE make a 10" too ? Something to look into.

Old 04-03-2008 | 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Alon@ModBargains
I agree with everyone as far as going with rize, top notch kit and a great product as a whole. Whenever you are ready to order just give me a call and we can get you setup with a great deal.

http://www.modbargains.com/product.a..._F150_04-08_KY
That is a nice looking site Alon. Is this a good kit to use for my 2001 4x4 Screw?

http://www.modbargains.com/zoom_img/...1205861214.jpg

Old 04-03-2008 | 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by fx412inchlift
Go with a 12" Rize. You'll love it.
I LOVE IT! I know you do.

Old 04-03-2008 | 09:24 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by TNCREW
That is a nice looking site Alon. Is this a good kit to use for my 2001 4x4 Screw?

http://www.modbargains.com/zoom_img/...1205861214.jpg
Yes sir, Alot of people like the pro comp kits.

If you have questions shoot me an email so we dont clutter up this thread.

Alon@Modbargains.com

Quick Reply: BadA$$ Lift Questions