Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008 | 05:15 PM
|
Help!

I just bought a leveling kit 2.5" for my 2004 fX4, we've taken all of the steps in the instructions, but when you get to the step where you have to take the bolt out of the ball joint, we've been stuck. That bolt will not come out for nothing, in the instructions it says to hit with hammer and should knock loose, well that aint the case. I've takin the truck apart and put it back together the past 2 days now and have made no progress, i cant get that bolt out of the ball joint? any suggestions? i think we've tried just about everything, tommoro i am going up to the shop to borrow a ball joint press, if this doesnt work idk what im goin to do .. any help appreciated

Thanks,
Bray

Old 04-05-2008 | 05:33 PM
Hit it with PB blaster or WD-40 every couple of hours

Old 04-05-2008 | 05:44 PM
Ball joint trouble

I put a spacer on about a year ago before I lifted it. You have to hit that sucker HARD! I used like a three pound ball pene hammer and hit it right where it strarts to curve towards the ball joint. I think even then I had to hit it like three or four times. If your using a regular hammer you will be there all day and then probably break the hammer.
Orrrr....You could just say screw it and BUY A LIFT. You will never regret it.
Well good luck. Oh yea...When it does finally break loose, make sure you'r supporting it so it just doesnt drop. Mine almost yanked the break lines loose.
It wants to pivot outwards when it comes loose from the top ball joint. Puts alot of sress on those break lines.

This was mine witha 1.5" spacer. Watch those angles.

Last edited by gfelber; 04-05-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-06-2008 | 01:50 AM
|
Thanks man, i've been readin on here and most people do have to have the Press, so hopefully tommoro i'll be in buisness, and ill deffinatly make sure to watch those lines, dont want no leaks in the break lines for sure. Once again thanks for the help/pointers.

Old 04-06-2008 | 09:32 AM
you need a ball joint seperator. looks like a huge fork. put it in between the ball joint and spindle and start smacking.

Old 04-06-2008 | 10:12 PM
|
alright well good news, we got em on today and the truck looks great! , That Ball joint fork really didnt do that much for us, we ended up using the butt end of an axe to hit the upper arm and let the ball joint loose lol. but thanks for the suggestions and help