Negative camber issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Negative camber issue

I recently purchased a 2000 f-150 4.2 2wd. I believe the previous owner installed a lift which caused a negative camber in the front tires. I have been told that I need to replace the upper control arms to solve this problem but it seems to me that it would be a frustrating situation for me because I don't know what size lift is installed or what size of arm is needed to correct it. Is there an easier way to do this or at least a way to determine the lift size? Thanks in advance for any help. It is appreciated.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It depends on the lift. You can lift a 4x2 up to 2.5 inches with lift springs or coilspring spacer without needing new upper control arms.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:00 PM
well then its not a 2.5 lift because the tires are canted. That is what I am trying to fix

Old 04-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Try to take and some pics of the front suspension. Maybe someone can identify the lift and give you a solution.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:17 PM
here's a shot of the suspension

Old 04-06-2008, 07:39 PM
you know its bad when you can see it in that picture

Old 04-06-2008, 07:47 PM
When you took this pic, was the frontend raised off the ground??
If not, your upper control arm has maxed out it's lower travel. The lift kit has really messed up the geometry. From evidence in the photo, an alignment won't fix it. I'd put stock springs back in and see what happens.

Trending Topics

Old 04-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by longjohnsilver
When you took this pic, was the frontend raised off the ground??
If not, your upper control arm has maxed out it's lower travel. The lift kit has really messed up the geometry. From evidence in the photo, an alignment won't fix it. I'd put stock springs back in and see what happens.
It makes sense to me that I just need a larger size control arm. What size, I do not know. I'm not going to take the lift (which I know none of the specs of) out and I do not have the old springs; I just bought it this way. I simply want to remedy the negative camber. Shouldn't the lift kit have come with the correct upper control arms? I believe those are what I need.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Man, that's bad. Real bad. You can see the coilsprings are blue which indicates that they are aftermarket lift coils (Fabtech maybe?). Take a look on top and on the bottom of the coils. Do you see a spacer? I'm guessing someone may have combined lift coils and coilspspring spacers to gain more lifts. If this is the case, you will need new upper control arms to get the alignment within specs.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 136 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Weaselnutzninja
here's a shot of the suspension
yah that looks like about 4" of lift right there

heres my stock 2wd setup

hard to tell but it looks like you may already have aftermarket camber bolts too
like this

Old 04-07-2008, 01:26 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the upper control arms aren't stealing some additional lift that the springs should be providing. What size control arms should be installed? I'd really like to get the right equiptment but at this point I'm not above fabricating the existing control arms to accomadate the lift. What do you think about that?

Old 04-07-2008, 01:29 PM
Fabtech makes longer upper control arms.
I beleive the oem control arms are cast which would make the hard to lengthen. I wouldn't try it.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 136 Likes on 113 Posts
yes stock are cast

Old 04-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Research indicates that I need new spindles to accomidate the lift in the front. It looks like they usually are included with the kit. I think some moron just threw some coil springs in because that's all they had.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:23 PM
I dont think that will help your situation. Most companies sell lift spindles that simply bolt on. These can be combined with lift coils or a coilspring spacer to gain more lift. And, as you said, some taller lift kits combine lifed coilsprings and lift spindles. Your problem appear to be too much lift with just a spring or a spring spacer combination. The only way to correct it is with longer upper control arms. I think if you add lift spindles, you will just wind up with a taller truck with camber issues.

Quick Reply: Negative camber issue