Torsion bar crankup vs levelling kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stiffer means that bumps will hit harder, but the truck won't feel so spongy over them. the truck won't bounce as much when you apply pressure to the body. you'll be ok. Like was stated earlier, a leveling kit accomplishes the same exact thing, only it adds unnecessary hardware, and promotes excessive cranking of the bars. just mark the threads with spray paint before cranking, so you'll know exactly how they were adjusted, if you decide to go back down.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did my 4x4 and the ride is as you you tried to describe it...like a firmer off road shock. My truck doesn't rattle. I am happy I did it no regrets and the truck looks better.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the help guys, one more quick question, doing this will it make unnecessary wear on front suspension, bal joints and cv boots and such. thanks.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ANytime you increase ball joint and CV joint angels you will increase wear some.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Good post and information in this thread, thanks guys, you saved me the time of asking the questions ya'll answered for me here. let you know in a few days how this works for me. I appreciate it.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:05 PM
i would like to touch on the part about cranking the t-bars with out lifting the front end. yes you can do this, but i do not think this is the best way. by lifting it you are taking the stress off those bolts as your turn them (lessing(sp*?) the pressure on them), which in turn will decrease chances of breaking a rusty bolt. also, if you do crank them while it is lifted set the truck down and drive it so it can "settle" and measure again so you know you have the right height.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by polevaulter95
i would like to touch on the part about cranking the t-bars with out lifting the front end. yes you can do this, but i do not think this is the best way. by lifting it you are taking the stress off those bolts as your turn them (lessing(sp*?) the pressure on them), which in turn will decrease chances of breaking a rusty bolt. also, if you do crank them while it is lifted set the truck down and drive it so it can "settle" and measure again so you know you have the right height.
Really not sure where you are going with this post???

Ive cranked mine all the way up for about a year now. I havent noticed any "bad" wear. My ball joints are looking good. The angle on the CV shaft is less than desired but it doesnt bind up or anything.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:43 PM
the leveling kit and cranking the torsion bars does the same thing. The leveling kit cost money, and cranking the bars doesnt.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by built54
the leveling kit and cranking the torsion bars does the same thing. The leveling kit cost money, and cranking the bars doesnt.
very very well put! Dont think i could have typed it any better... hahaha

Old 08-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
Really not sure where you are going with this post???

Ive cranked mine all the way up for about a year now. I havent noticed any "bad" wear. My ball joints are looking good. The angle on the CV shaft is less than desired but it doesnt bind up or anything.
I think he is just trying to say that if you lift the front end, it will be easier to turn the bolts. That is what I did on my '02 about 5 years ago, did 3 full turns got about 1.5" of lift. Then went and got an alignment. The ride did get a little stiffer but not much. Here is a pic of the bolt....

Old 08-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by MikeSuperCrew
I think he is just trying to say that if you lift the front end, it will be easier to turn the bolts. That is what I did on my '02 about 5 years ago, did 3 full turns got about 1.5" of lift. Then went and got an alignment. The ride did get a little stiffer but not much. Here is a pic of the bolt....
thanks for clearing that up. 4.2trimble sorry about the confusion i see how you got the wrong idea. what i meant to say was you should jack up your front end when tightening the torsion bars so the suspension is not already loaded and this was the bolts will turn easier. hope that helps

Old 08-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by polevaulter95
thanks for clearing that up. 4.2trimble sorry about the confusion i see how you got the wrong idea. what i meant to say was you should jack up your front end when tightening the torsion bars so the suspension is not already loaded and this was the bolts will turn easier. hope that helps
Oh ok yeah for sure. Lift the front off the ground its alot easier lol.

The first time i cranked my torsion bars i lifted it off the ground and it still look all my might to turn the bolts.

the second time i did it (when i put my body lift on) i had sprayed them with PB Blaster for 2 weeks and i could turn them with my 1/2" Cresent Wrench.

I got 2.2" of lift out of mine if not a tad bit more.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:40 AM
Would it be a bad idea to use an impact on the torsion bar bolts?

Old 08-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is no need to. You can turn them with a 18mm wrench easily.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Queso
Would it be a bad idea to use an impact on the torsion bar bolts?
With an impact wrench you will have hard time knowing if you are turning both bolts the same amount and or how much you have turned them.
As mentioned, shoot them with PBlaster the day before, and use a socket or wrench, taking note of how many turns, do the same to the other side.
I didn't raise my front end off the ground nor even use PBlaster...and they were tough to turn at first, but they will turn.

Quick Reply: Torsion bar crankup vs levelling kit