Leveling question.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008 | 06:24 PM
|
Leveling question.....

First off, I have (will have... its on order) a 2wd XLT F150. With my styling ideas, and uses for the truck, it will definately look better, with AT tires. I'm thinking BFG AT's, but nothing outrageous, probably just 265/70-17's.

I definately think it would look better, leveled..... But ALL of the leveling I see, seems to be done by raising the front..... which would be fine if my truck were a 4wd, and / or I was going with some big, fat, offroad tires......

But I'm wondering if, on a 2wd, with a more modest tire size, raising the front might look wrong {too high overall} ?

Isn't there an easy way to lower the rear end just a couple inches {for leveling from the other direction}, and wouldn't this still look fine, for a 2wd, that wasn't trying to look like a 4wd..... but wasn't trying to look like a flashy, lowered, street truck either ? {you know.... the kind with 24" rims, 35 series tires, and chrome dripping off if it all over the place}

Just curious....
Fish

Old 04-29-2008 | 08:50 PM
You are sort of contradicting yourself. You say you wanna go with an all terrian tire but you want to lower the rear end instead of lifting the front. You can go with the offroad look without going huge. I'd suggest adding a 2 inch leveling kit to the front and going with the 265/70-17 or a 285/70-17 BFG AT KO. I just think that lowering the rear and going with a relatively large off road tire will look a little odd. Sort of like the people that mount a huge grill guard, nerf bars and diamond plate toolbox and then mount some 24 inch wheels and low profile tires.

Old 04-29-2008 | 09:11 PM
|
I hear you Wandell, but.....

I have two questions for you.....

Does the stock height of the "front end" look low to you ? Seems fairly high to me... or should I say, you still see quite a bit of wheel well. Certainly the front end height wouldn't be mistaken for the "lowered street" look...

And the other thing is, do 265/70-17's seem relatively "large" to you ? They are only about 1/2" taller and 3/4" wider than stock tires..... just a little more agressive (more because of the tread, than the size}.

Not arguing your opinion though. In fact, I appreciate it. Just trying to get a feel here for what would look right.

Peace,
Fish

PS, Keep in mind, I'm not trying to pretend I have a 4wd. If I did, I would certainly have chose the 5.4L motor.... at least 37", 285 tires... if not 305's, and a 6" lift in the front, with a 3" in the rear.

Just looking for a little bit more agressive street truck.

Old 04-29-2008 | 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by Fish Chris
First off, I have (will have... its on order) a 2wd XLT F150. With my styling ideas, and uses for the truck, it will definately look better, with AT tires. I'm thinking BFG AT's, but nothing outrageous, probably just 265/70-17's.

I definately think it would look better, leveled..... But ALL of the leveling I see, seems to be done by raising the front..... which would be fine if my truck were a 4wd, and / or I was going with some big, fat, offroad tires......

But I'm wondering if, on a 2wd, with a more modest tire size, raising the front might look wrong {too high overall} ?

Isn't there an easy way to lower the rear end just a couple inches {for leveling from the other direction}, and wouldn't this still look fine, for a 2wd, that wasn't trying to look like a 4wd..... but wasn't trying to look like a flashy, lowered, street truck either ? {you know.... the kind with 24" rims, 35 series tires, and chrome dripping off if it all over the place}

Just curious....
Fish
Fish, I've got the exact same truck as you with 265/70-17 tires and no lift. The level will look better, trust me. Don't lower rear. I have the 5.4 so my front sag may be a little less than yours. Here's a pic without the level.

Last edited by WorknPlay04; 04-30-2008 at 12:01 AM. Reason: updated info.
Old 04-30-2008 | 01:01 AM
|
Okay guys, but one thing.....

I'll go with the lift in the front for leveling (cheap enough, and easy enough) but in that case darnit.... I'm getting the darn 285's ! :-)

I was originally concerned about increasing my tire diameter because 1) it would throw off the speedometer, 2) it would throw off the tachometer, 3) it would cause the shifting points to not be optimal (because it would effectively change the gearing).....

But I think I have the answer to all of the above.... + maybe I might be able to add a couple MPG's on the freeway....

I think I am going to get an SCT tuner. Only another $400....

Thanks again,
Fish

Quick Reply: Leveling question.....