need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008 | 08:31 PM
Suspended
What about using a more powerfull air hammer. I would think the local auto parts store would have one u can loan.

Old 05-14-2008 | 09:34 PM
|
i have to find something becuase that ain't working and my spring on it just broke so i'm sol for right now. the only concern i have is if i get a stronger air hammer then it will prolly be bigger and it won't be able to fit where i need it. as sad as it sounds i'm to the point where i'm thinking about putting the whole front end back together without swaybar end links, taking it to a shop and letting them take the torsion bars out then back in and starting all over again. i ain't gonna pay nobody to do the lift because i know i'm capable of doing it i just can't get these damn torsion bars out for nothing.

Old 05-15-2008 | 02:29 AM
How big's the compressor? The one i have isn't huge by any means(19 Gal.), But it seemed to do the trick. I know the hammer said to not exceed 90 p.s.i, but I cranked that bitch to 130-140, and gave it hell. And, How big's the air line (dia)? The one I have almost looks like contractor grade extension cord. I figured the more narrow the hose, the more press. you can squeeze out(?). Probably about as wrong of an answer as ever, BUT...It worked. As far as hammers go - Pawn shops kick ***!!!! Even though I borrowed one, I found quite a few for about $20 bucks....Something like that, just pitch it when your done.
I still haven't pulled the trans yet. I thought I had til I just found the last bolt. FORD really f'ed everyone on that bolt! I'm using 36 - 48 " of extension and a u-joint and STILL can't get it.

Old 05-16-2008 | 11:17 PM
|
well everybody i am proud to announce that i have got the keys out. it literally took me 10 minutes to get them out when my bro got me my new springs for my air hammer, i just had to use it in different places then the circle in the back of the crossmember, worked like a charm. big thanks to hemp 1 for showing me the pics of his keys to enlighten me on what spots i could actually hit with the air hammer. they are finally out and tomorrow i will start actually installing parts of the lift. thankyou everybody for your suggestions and help throughout the entire process, i'll be posting pics when i'm done for sure, should be within a couple days here. i know i'll prolly run into some problems with my front crossmember so we'll see how it goes and i'll let you guys know. thanks again,

Justin

Old 05-18-2008 | 12:05 PM
CONGRATS!!!!! If you're reusing the keys, give the inside of the hexes a nice coat of grease, and the bars too.

Old 05-18-2008 | 11:06 PM
|
alright new problem now, i put in both crossmembers, btw the front crossmember was a bitch. anyways, i put them both in went to drop the differential and put one bolt in and then went to do the other and the holes weren't lined up. what could be the cause of this, i worked on it for a while and i can't get it. any help would be appreciated as usual. thanks,

Justin

Old 05-20-2008 | 06:43 PM
|
anybody?

Old 05-21-2008 | 01:18 AM
What the hell, I'll give it a shot....
You're talking about the actual bolts that attach the front axles to the diff. correct? I had this problem on a completely different vehicle. An old VW Sandrail. Had to install a new throwout bearing....imagine that. I have the best luck w/ man.trans. (and yet still drive them!) OK, 1) Is the truck still off the ground? 2) You say the x- members are back in. 3) If the x-members are in that means the torsion bars have been turned, essentially. (i.e.; the keys re-installed, the retainer & bolt, etc.) With that kind of torque on the bars, it may have tweaked your lower control arms just enough to not properly align the bolts in their holes. I would try going back to the rear (sorry, middle) crossmember. The rear one is riveted in. rear=riveted, Mid=keys+air hammer, Front=Bitch, but not too bad. rant done.

Take the tension off, then try to reinstall the bolts. That should free any unwanted tension. After that, THEN go and snug up the bolts, then keys, etc.
My thinking...(Which isn't much) If you're putting a 6" lift on, that seems like quite a bit of articulation of for those half-shafts(CV's). Can you even use stock half-shafts on that large of a lift? I wouldn't know, my truck is still bone stock. I even have vinyl floors. BUT, at least my clutch is out, finally!

Anyway, that's really all I can think of for now. Hope it was some kind of help. Come on down to Omaha, I'll buy ya a newcastle. You can help me with the transfer/trans./slave cyl./pressure plate/clutch disc/pilot bearing/slave cyl. bleed-install party. WHOOOOOO!!!!!
Man, I have GOT to start getting to bed earlier!!!