About the Bilstein 5100's.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008 | 09:42 PM
|
Hey BTW....

I was just checking out the 5100's on Top Guns, and saw that even the rears could do a 1" lift ! This could be very handy for me as well... because as I have said, I will always be towing my little boat, and I want it level "with" the added tongue weight on the rear bumper.... So "if" my rear is even 1/2" lower, I'll just bump the rear 5100's up an inch, and Bam ! It's on :-)

Personally speaking, I'm okay with my truck being a touch lower in the front, if it's not going to be perfectly flat level.... but 1/2" higher in the front doesn't work for me.....

Peace,
Fish

Old 06-19-2008 | 10:50 PM
The 5100's will not lift the rear. They stand alone, where as, the front shocks are part of an assembly.

You could get a block for the rear which maintains your factory ride.

Old 06-20-2008 | 12:30 AM
|
Well FoMoCo....

I was just going by what they say on this page... Scroll down to the "Application" box....
http://store.topguncustomz.com/store...82&i=242065368

So, are these guys mistaken ?
Sure seems to be a lot of confusion over these shocks.

It's like, the only thing everyone seems to agree on, is that they are great shocks :-)

Peace,
Fish

Old 06-20-2008 | 08:57 AM
Yes, teh interwebz can be very confusing.

Think of it this way: If a stand-alone shock was stiff enough to raise the rear of you truck, it wouldn't be much good as a shock. Would it?

It'll be much easier when you can just walk outside and look at it. When are you going to get your truck?

Old 06-20-2008 | 09:27 AM
|
Hey FoMoCo....

Yes, but some people say the same thing about the 5100's Bilsteins for the front too, when they are explaining why "it won't" give you a lift in the front either.....
So you contend the website I linked to, is correct about the front shocks, but mistaken about the rears ?

And please understand, I'm not arguing either way.

I am fixing to go against what the one goofball tech guy at Bilstein told me though, and order my 5100's this morning :-)

Oh..... Got my brand new F150 delivered last night ;-) It's sitting in front of the house now :-)

Peace,
Fish

Old 06-20-2008 | 09:35 AM
question..

ive have been thinking about upgrading the shocks from the stock ones.. its an 04 so yeah its time.

i do like the bilsteins so thats where im starting but on the front end the shock is in the middle of the coil spring. Is it easily replacable or is it a whole unit. I remeber on an older truck i had 4whp just relocated the new shock outside the spring.

Old 06-20-2008 | 12:26 PM
Suspended
The Bilsteins WILL lift the front depending on the snap ring location. The rears do not provide any lift. The rears will allow you to install a 1" bigger block though. The shock just has one more inch of travel to do this ...

Originally Posted by Liquid Chicken
question..

ive have been thinking about upgrading the shocks from the stock ones.. its an 04 so yeah its time.

i do like the bilsteins so thats where im starting but on the front end the shock is in the middle of the coil spring. Is it easily replacable or is it a whole unit. I remeber on an older truck i had 4whp just relocated the new shock outside the spring.
No the coilover has to be removed from the vehicle. Than using a spring compressor you'd have to take apart the spring from the strut. Once that's done than you'd put the new strut on your factory spring. Of course you could always buy a complete coilover replacement but that'll cost some coin, roughly around $1,000 just for the fronts.

Old 06-20-2008 | 08:50 PM
|
Hey Thumper....

Yes, you are correct. After I made my last post this morning, I found out about what you are saying, but didn't have time to post about that....

In any case, depending on how much my tail end sags from the weight of my trailer tongue, plus the weight of my fishing tackle, and deep cycle battery (or two) I might end up using some small 1" blocks to bring the rear up just a touch. Again, if I'm a touch higher in the rear, I'm okay with that, but no bulldogging for me.

Anxious to get my 5100's and get them installed. Maybe next Weds....

Peace,
Fish

Old 06-20-2008 | 09:38 PM
Suspended
The best option for you would be to buy the 4WD block since they are going to be OEM quality and feature the twin pin set-up. They are 2" as well so when this is all said and done you'd be sitting as high as a 4WD model. I'd go ahead and buy the Bilsteins in the rear for the 4WD.

However that might give you too much rake. If you want it to be more leveled than a factory 4WD truck, contact Autospring. I believe they make a 1" block for the rear which has a twin pin set-up so it'd be just as good.

Old 06-21-2008 | 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by Fish Chris
Oh..... Got my brand new F150 delivered last night ;-) It's sitting in front of the house now :-)

Peace,
Fish
Did I miss the pics?

Old 06-26-2008 | 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
The best option for you would be to buy the 4WD block since they are going to be OEM quality and feature the twin pin set-up. They are 2" as well so when this is all said and done you'd be sitting as high as a 4WD model. I'd go ahead and buy the Bilsteins in the rear for the 4WD.

However that might give you too much rake. If you want it to be more leveled than a factory 4WD truck, contact Autospring. I believe they make a 1" block for the rear which has a twin pin set-up so it'd be just as good.

Thumper; I've been meaning to ask you this. In another thread you suggested that I should get the Bilsteins that level the truck over the Bilsteins that don't. I don't have any intentions on leveling the truck due to the stock rake leveling out when I hook up the boat and gear, as I mentioned in the other thread.
You mentioned that the standard Bilsteins aren't as good, or that I should go for the 5100's over the "standard" Bilsteins. Did you state this because I can't level the truck with the standards, or is there actually a difference in ride quality? I thought they were basically the same shocks, but just a different color?

Old 06-28-2008 | 12:43 AM
Just had my 5100's installed last week. All I can say is- what a difference! Front end raised actually a little over 2 inches. Sorry don't have pics at this time. Just had my new wheels and tires put on today. Will post pics soon.

I know Top Gunz is the most popular place to get them. But, I would search through E-bay several times. I got mine from a small ebay store. $320.00 shipped. By far the cheapest I have found them. Better than paying the $360.00 thru $400.00 price range. There's always a bargain out there somewhere!!

Old 06-28-2008 | 12:46 AM
Suspended
I hear they are valved a little bit differently to get a little bit different ride. A lot of guys are saying that they prefer the Bilstein 5100s.

Quick Reply: About the Bilstein 5100's.....