??Installing PA body lift - I have a few questions??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008 | 11:02 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Ya I would have to agree with Cashel they are going to looks mean on your truck.

Old 08-19-2008 | 11:06 AM
|

First choice was BFG's KM2s but they don't make them in 38x15.5x20

So I was probably going to go with Mickey Thompson MTZ's or Claws again.

Probabaly MTZ's just to switch it up a bit.

Old 08-19-2008 | 11:08 AM
|

It's the wheels I'm excited about. Have you seen Pimprhor's truck?

I'm hoping it looks half that good!

Old 08-19-2008 | 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by efuehrin
It's the wheels I'm excited about. Have you seen Pimprhor's truck?

I'm hoping it looks half that good!
Ya I love his wheel/tire combo. I am sure your truck will turn out just as sweet. I think what really set his off was the rear fender wells being undercoated. Have you thought about adding that to the list of mods?

I have been toying with the idea of a similar set-up but I don't think that the blacked out wheels would look good on my truck. So I am thinking if I can find them in chrome I think I would pull the trigger myself (I admit I have not checked to see if they do because I know I would buy).

Old 08-19-2008 | 11:19 AM
|

There are a lot of choices out there in chrome. You should be able to find some pretty easy.

Ya I'm sure I will black out the wheel wells. I will have a lot of work to do after the lift, gap guards (I'm going to make some), I'm even going to try to move up the receiver hitch so it says tucked under the bumper like it is when it's stock.

My buddy is a welder so I"m thinking I can have him use his plasma cutter and modify it so it moves up some.

It will still be just as strong.

The bad thing is that if it really looks that good after the new wheels, I am going to have to start spending money on appearance mods! Grille, etc.

Old 08-19-2008 | 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
I didnt get gap gaurds.

BUT

i plan on using diamon plate in the rear and a old set of wheel well lines up front just cut and riveted into the stock stuff!
Trimble (and everyone else for that matter making your own gap guards), you guys might want to be careful using any sort of metal gap guard. Reason being, if you off road or have rubbing with your wheel set up, you guys don't want that metal gap guard to punch a hole or a gash in your new tires.

I bought mine and while I do not think they are worth the $70 or so, it's a lot cheaper than having to replace a tire. If I had to do it over again, I would have gone to Home Depot or Lowes and used something flexiable that is non-metalic. You guys will probably be OK, but just keep that in mind.

Old 08-19-2008 | 11:22 AM

There are a lot of choices out there in chrome. You should be able to find some pretty easy.

Ya I'm sure I will black out the wheel wells. I will have a lot of work to do after the lift, gap guards (I'm going to make some), I'm even going to try to move up the receiver hitch so it says tucked under the bumper like it is when it's stock.

My buddy is a welder so I"m thinking I can have him use his plasma cutter and modify it so it moves up some.

It will still be just as strong.

The bad thing is that if it really looks that good after the new wheels, I am going to have to start spending money on appearance mods! Grille, etc.

Yep, it will never be done. We are all fighting a losing battle. And it should be no problem to keep the receiver tucked under the bumper. Now I am excited to see some pics....

Old 08-19-2008 | 11:23 AM
|

Ya I was thinking of using some kind of plastic or rubber.

Someone on here cut up some heavy duty mud flaps off a semi.

I would think that they would need to flex some. I'm not done yet but it looks like I will only need them in the rear wheel well. Everything else seems pretty covered up.

Old 08-19-2008 | 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by jk007
Trimble (and everyone else for that matter making your own gap guards), you guys might want to be careful using any sort of metal gap guard. Reason being, if you off road or have rubbing with your wheel set up, you guys don't want that metal gap guard to punch a hole or a gash in your new tires.

I bought mine and while I do not think they are worth the $70 or so, it's a lot cheaper than having to replace a tire. If I had to do it over again, I would have gone to Home Depot or Lowes and used something flexiable that is non-metalic. You guys will probably be OK, but just keep that in mind.
this is the exact reason i decided agianst making the front totally out of diamond plate. I was gonna take the old liner out and fully D-Plate it in but im too worried about gashing a tire.

The rear shouldnt hit the tire (hopefully) if done right. BUT i do have some rubb marks from flexing and the tire rubbing agiasnt the inside part of the wheel well (the bed)

Old 08-21-2008 | 10:17 AM
|

Almost done

Well I pretty much finished it up last night. I still need gap guards and I'm going to raise the receiver hitch.

I also think I'm going to try to get some tow hooks on the front somehow.

Here are some pics.

Old 08-21-2008 | 10:19 AM
|

Whew that was alot of work.....

Old 08-21-2008 | 10:23 AM

Man that looks huge!!!!

I can't wait to see it with the 38's on. And I was thinking about those gap guards and I would think that the heavy duty semi trailer mud flaps would definitely be a smart idea. They are stiff enough that they would maintain their shape but if you did need them to get out of the way they would.

Old 08-21-2008 | 10:25 AM
looks great but... natty light man?

Old 08-21-2008 | 10:26 AM
|

Thanks man. Ya I'm almost to a point where I may just buy some gap guards. I'm not sure.

Anyone out there have any experience with them? Do they cover the whole frame/bed? Or are they just for the wheel wells?

It may be worth the 90 dollars or so, I haven't decided yet.

Ya I'm stoked to get the 38's and the wheels on!

Old 08-21-2008 | 10:27 AM
|

Originally Posted by _cashel
looks great but... natty light man?
Don't be hate'n on the Natty Man!!!!!

Quick Reply: ??Installing PA body lift - I have a few questions??