Pro Comp Stage 1 ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008 | 12:07 AM
|
Pro Comp Stage 1 ?'s

I have a question. I am finally biting the bullet and doing, suspension, wheels, and tires. I have a 04 f150 and I'm doing the pro comp stage 1 with pro comp 6001 wheels and 35" toyo tires. I have heard comments that the back will sag a little with the pro comp. Is it recommended to install a 5" or 5.5" single block so that the truck is level. i want it as level as possible. Also i am interested at a later time to get an extra 2" and run 37's but not at this time due to money reasons. Is it as easy as getting the pro comp coil overs for about 1,000 or is it better to get the dirtlogics. Both are adjustable right? Thanks f150online and I will post pics once done.

Old 10-03-2008 | 12:59 AM
I'm running the Procomp stage 1 too.. there is a slight, maybe 1" if anything sag in the rear, I suppose a 5" block or whatever might truly level it out, but it doesn't look that bad to me.. anywho.. here's a couple pics.. kinda hard to tell considering they were taken from front angles..

you should check out the 6005 wheels.. I think they look bad azz.. lol (then again, I'm runnin on 7005)

Name:  black-1.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  135.5 KB

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 3022
Size:  138.0 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1443
Size:  164.7 KB

Old 10-03-2008 | 01:04 AM
oops, double post

Last edited by zeruin; 10-03-2008 at 01:11 AM. Reason: double post
Old 10-03-2008 | 02:22 AM
It will sag in the rear by about an 1"-1 1/2". My measurements from the ground to the center top of the wheel well after install were 45" front and 43.5" rear. After the AAL was installed I'm still 45" front (obviously) and 45 1/4" rear (about as level as it gets). Also, I'd recommend a set of Bilstein 5100 front shocks designed for 0-2" of lift to get the added height you're wanting further down the road for those 37's (I'll soon be going this route myself) . Few pics of my current set-up

Name:  DSC04276.jpg
Views: 3507
Size:  95.9 KB

Name:  DSC04459.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  133.2 KB

Name:  DSC04460.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  141.0 KB

Last edited by 07fx4silver; 10-03-2008 at 02:26 AM.
Old 10-03-2008 | 03:21 AM
Ok....Pro comp's page isn't very clear....but I'm assuming that their kits give you a 2.5 inch block to stack underneath your factory block? So you really aren't going to gain much with a single 5 inch block......which are EXPENSIVE. Mine were $175 from RCD, without U-bolts. I don't know if Fabtech's are any cheaper. Well, actually, by the time you add the required 4* shim.....it turns them into more like 5.5 inch blocks.

But what you could do.....is I see Procomp has an optional shim kit, PN-52700. I'm assuming that they are stackable plates that you bolt to your spring pack. Superlift has a similar product in which you can stack up to 3 plates underneath your bottom leaf for an extra 1.5 inches of lift. I know that sounds like alot of stacking....but the shims actually bolt to the springs, making it a part of the leaf pack.......so they really don't count as "blocks".

Another thing to keep in mind.....is that the front wheel wells are higher than the rear. So, even if the truck is perfectly level, you will have a larger gap in the front than you do in the rear - making the truck "appear" to be sagging in the back. You should always try to measure from a constant point front to rear.....such as the body crease above the rocker panels.

Right now I'm running 7 inches in the front with a "5.5 inch" block and 2.5 inch add-a-leaf in the back. The truck sits slightly higher in the rear.....which I need cause I actually tow/haul stuff. I don't have any pics yet cause I'm still waiting on my lug nuts to get here so I can put my tires on.

As for adding 2 more inches to the front......you can either get the 6 inch Bilstein's for about $175 each and then put an Autospring leveling spacer on top of them. Or keep your current 6 inch spacer and get the +2" Bilsteins. But, I'd ditch the 6 inch spacer that comes with the kit and either get the 6 inch Bilsteins or one of the fancy adjustable coil-overs.

And I also vote 6005/7005!!

Old 10-03-2008 | 10:15 AM
Suspended
i would recommend BDS over pro comp. has a MUCH better warranty and for close to the same price. i added a AAL in my rear (also BDS) and truck sits about perfectly level now. cost about 100 bucks. trucks rear is a little stiffer but rides much better IMO. i paid $2100 installed for the lift. and installed the leaf's about 2 months ago on my own.

Old 10-03-2008 | 11:33 AM
|
For the AAL is it a 2" AAL. Is that what am i looking for and where is the best place to find it. I'm getting the Pro Comp lift, wheels, and toyos installed for 3700 out the door and I have not been able to get a better price than that for other compareable lifts. The bilstein 5100 shocks for the front is there a place that is best to buy them from. Thanks guys and i will be putting pics as soon as its done.

Old 10-03-2008 | 12:11 PM
|
I looked at several sites where can i find the 6" bilstein shocks that you were referring. Thanks.

Old 10-03-2008 | 01:08 PM
Suspended
my AAL is either a 1 or 1 1/2 AAL. im not sure. box didnt say. and their website does not specify. but i gained almost exactly an inch from them. install takes about 2-3 hours depending how you go. maybe less if you focus and do it.

rear will ride a little high for about a week (atleast mine did) and they will set in and give you the right height as specified.

Old 10-03-2008 | 04:57 PM
Topguncustomz has the best prices on the Bilsteins. That's where I got mine. They have an Ebay store too. The AAL height depends on your current spring setup. If you have a high GVWR package, you'll get less lift than if you had softer springs in the back. My AAL was advertised as a 2.5 inch lift. But I think I got about 1.5 inches out of it. I'll try to get a more accurate measurement today. Procomp offers an AAL as an option, along with the rear spacer pack.

Old 10-10-2008 | 09:51 PM
|
Hillbilly you have the bilsteins that give you 0-2" correct? Thats why you say you currently have 7" upfront? Also if i end up keeping the spacer and get the 0-2" bilsteins does the rear shock allow 2" so that I do not have to get an AAL or it doesnt work that way. Thanks.

Old 10-10-2008 | 09:55 PM
|
I found my answer to the rear shock question but would like to know what you are doing for front height with your truck.

Old 10-11-2008 | 03:01 AM
Nah, I have the full length 6" Bilsteins. I didn't use the 4.5 inch spacer that came with the Superlift kit.

So here's the way it works out......
The shocks are a full 6 inches longer than stock......so they're 1.5 inches longer than my brackets. Due to the geometry of the suspension, anything 1.5 inches longer than the brackets actually nets you 2.5 inches of lift. It's just like adding a 1.5 inch spacer to a stock truck......you get about 2.5 inches of lift.

It's the same deal as adding a leveling spacer to a 6 inch kit and getting 8.5 inches of lift....except I took a 4.5 kit and went to 7. The same thing could have been accomplished by keeping the 4.5 inch Superlift spacers and adding "leveling" shocks. Or re-used my factory shocks and stacked a leveling spacer on top of the Superlift spacer. It doesn't matter how you go about doing it.....just as long as your shocks and/or spacers add up to be 1.5 inches longer than your brackets.

Just like in your case, you have the option of getting the +2 shocks and keeping the procomp spacer. Or getting the 6" Bilsteins and using a leveling spacer. You could even stack a leveling spacer on top of the procomp spacer. It all adds up to be the same.....it's just whatever works best for you.

The reason I went this route was because I didn't want to run anything bigger than 35's. I have other trucks that I can but bigger tires on if I wanted 37's or bigger.

Old 10-16-2008 | 01:48 PM
|
Got my truck back late monday. Im in love with it again. Thanks to everyone that helped answering the questions. I will have to post some pics real soon. What is the easiest way to post pics. As for the bilsteins that raise 2" does the shock cause a rougher ride since it is being locked in place to give the added height? These toyos are huge and I have to fix a slight rub in the back fenderwell when the wheels are locked and going up a driveway.

Old 10-16-2008 | 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by jspeers89
What is the easiest way to post pics. As for the bilsteins that raise 2" does the shock cause a rougher ride since it is being locked in place to give the added height?
Weather it's at the 0" setting or 2" setting the snap ring locks in place on the groove on the shock body and no it doesn't cause a rougher ride, more controlled and firm yes . Try photobucket for the pics. Glad you're liking the lift

Quick Reply: Pro Comp Stage 1 ?'s