Fab Tech or Sky Jacker???

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008 | 10:37 AM
|
Exclamation Fab Tech or Sky Jacker???

ok I want to get a 4" lift at least but who has the better quality and prices???

Old 10-13-2008 | 10:46 AM
Suspended
when i went to 4 wheel parts they said they would not install a skyjacker on my truck. said they had problems with them on fords. so thats the only reason i didnt get a skyjacker. but i dont know for sure if they have problems you could just be the bad installers there. alot of people run fabtechs and have no complains.

Old 10-13-2008 | 11:47 AM
i am running a 6'' skyjacker right now and have not had a problem yet.

Old 10-13-2008 | 12:19 PM
Go Fabtech. SkyJacker has alot of bad reviews online.

Old 10-13-2008 | 12:21 PM
I have Rancho's 4" lift, put it on about a year ago now and i love it so far. No problems yet, rides great and i like the 1 piece sub frame, its pretty beefy.

Old 10-13-2008 | 01:05 PM
I run Fabtech, going on a year and a half. No complaints, love the company, and the lift. Installed Fabtech on 2 other F150's, both holding up great. Awesome quality, and a fair price.

1 piece sub frame ? Reffering to the 2 subframes ??
Its the same basic design as Fabtech or most other lifts, just not as much of a drop (4" vs. 6" or 8" )

this is it, right ?
http://images.off-roadweb.com/newpro...o_lift_kit.jpg

Last edited by MercedesTech; 10-13-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-13-2008 | 03:30 PM
Fabtech Here !! Great lift with no problems here ..

Old 10-13-2008 | 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by LARABOY
ok I want to get a 4" lift at least but who has the better quality and prices???

4" Rancho, 6" Fabtech

Old 10-13-2008 | 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
I run Fabtech, going on a year and a half. No complaints, love the company, and the lift. Installed Fabtech on 2 other F150's, both holding up great. Awesome quality, and a fair price.

1 piece sub frame ? Reffering to the 2 subframes ??
Its the same basic design as Fabtech or most other lifts, just not as much of a drop (4" vs. 6" or 8" )

this is it, right ?
http://images.off-roadweb.com/newpro...o_lift_kit.jpg
yes, the two subframes are welded together..1 piece subframe which seems stronger to me. pro comp and fabtech look to me like they are two seperate drop brackets for the front and rear of the lower A arm, unless they bolt together installed? i have never seen one installed so i could be wrong?

Old 10-13-2008 | 07:22 PM
Suspended
BDS is a good company. have the best warranty available. you break it. they replace it. no questions asked. i have been running there lift for a little over 10k miles and not one problem yet.

Old 10-14-2008 | 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by noblem
yes, the two subframes are welded together..1 piece subframe which seems stronger to me. pro comp and fabtech look to me like they are two seperate drop brackets for the front and rear of the lower A arm, unless they bolt together installed? i have never seen one installed so i could be wrong?
Wow, I didn't know that. I have seen a whole 1 Rancho lift, I didn't install, or do any work for, just looked. So, the tube struts going back to the rear subframe are welded in ??

The thing is, one sub frame bolts to one leg of the lower A arm, the other part bolts to the other leg of the a-arm. To cause seperation, you would have to crack/destroy your entire lower a-arm, which would leave you useless anyways, regardless if your subframe stayed together.

It is kinda nice, and would make it real rigid though. Musta been one giant PITA if you had to lift it into place to bolt in, with no tranny jack handy.

You do your own install ??

Old 10-14-2008 | 04:24 PM
Yeah the tubes that connect the two subframe pieces are welded together, then the aft arms bolt to the back of the subframe and to the crossmember. sorry i had such a hard time explaining that ha, i dont know why. But thats just one little thing i like about it. And yeah i did my own install..and it was a pain! with that all being 1 piece it weighed somewhere around 88lbs? i think that was what the ship weight said on the box if i remember right..all i remember is it was heavy! my cousin and i both held a side of it up and stuck bolts in, was'nt the easiest thing to do though is the only bad thing. would have been better if we weren't installing it with just jack stands and blocks.

i found a ok picture that kind of helps see it installed if you want to look at it:

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/brandpa.../photo_03.html

Old 10-14-2008 | 04:40 PM
I got what your saying now and damn bud ! then I will have to give you some props ! lol
Learn something new everyday.

Musta been fun lifting that giant piece up ! But worth it. Its a good looking lift, and Rancho has always had some quality stuff.

How long you think total install time took you ? Using jacks and what not ?

Old 10-14-2008 | 05:33 PM
Well i wanted to get started at 1 that day..i remember that, but we didn't get started until about 3 or 4 and worked until 12:30 that morning and we got everything done in front. then i got up the next morning and finished the rear and that probably too me 2 hours or so. so i guess it probably took about 10-11 hours or so. had trouble trying to compress the springs, o'reillys told me thier compressors should be able to handle the spring..and it barely did. i am amazed they didn't break, i think they wer close to it! it also didn't help that it was about 35 degrees out that night and then it was almost snowing the next morning was fun though, i had never done a lift before but lowered my old car in high school

Old 10-14-2008 | 05:43 PM
10-11 hours using jacks and what not ? Impressive !

Took me and my old man (works hard and FAST) about 8 hours to get mine installed, and thats in our shop. Also, when installed mSall's truck (mostly me and him) here at the shop, it took us 12 hours, and weren't done ! I guess some trucks just don't like to cooperate ! Well, ya did a good job and got a nice looking truck !

OP: Which lift you going with ? And sorry for the thread hijack.

Quick Reply: Fab Tech or Sky Jacker???