Might keep it and ugrade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008 | 07:27 PM
A solid axle swap will entail pulling out all factory front end components and replacing them. You could fab (or buy from maybe camburg) a upper bucket mount for coil overs. You will have to figure out steering. I would recommend full hydro but if you want to run it on the street then you'll need to figure an appropriate steering box and frame re-enforcement. You will also need to decide what type of suspension you want. Leafs are easy, you can fab up brackets, put them on and bolt the axle on. The nicer way would be linked or radius arm suspension. Best out of those two would be a a 3 or 4 link. You'll need to build crossmembers. I'd go ahead and link the rear since you will be able to drop some coin on this. I would suggest that you head over to www.pirate4x4.com and search (don't post...just search until you have GOOD questions haha).

Pros: Better function than any pre-made lift kit
Cons: This is a MAJOR mod that will require LOTS of fabrication and time.

I'm putting a 79 d44 in the front of my 93 explorer at the moment with radius arms. It's a pretty simple suspension that's easy to understand. I have probably 1k in mine all in all (not counting tools). Need to do alittle rebuilding of the axle, need tires, shocks, and probably a few other misc things along the way. I've done all fabrication myself. I had NO experience before I start however I read, practiced, and wasn't affriad of scrapping shat parts I boogered up. I've spent alot of time learning...more than actual build time by two or three times!

I'd like to put some rockwells under my f150 someday!

Last edited by Code; 11-18-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-18-2008 | 10:09 PM
another thing for you too look at is the gearing if you go with a IFS lift. The lowest gear you can get is 4.88's which will not cut it with 40"+ tires.

I got a quote from a builder on my SAS D60 and he told me it could be done under 5k out the door. Which isnt bad considering gearing would cost about $1500 alone.

Another thing too look at is that the IFS with that size tire is gonna break. Probably the first time you really GET ON IT. The D60 isnt gonna just break they can be broke and ive seen then break but its really alot tougher than a 8.8 IFS.

The easiest way to do it would be leaf springs, they are strong and really easy to work with. Theres also a fairly unlimited amount of lift just determines what size springs you get. Or have custom made.

The best thing to do like CODE said would be to 4 link it. with coilovers. I honestly would say i like the leaf springs for mud less to worry about. But if im rock crawling im gonna go with something else.

Old 11-18-2008 | 10:37 PM
|
Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
another thing for you too look at is the gearing if you go with a IFS lift. The lowest gear you can get is 4.88's which will not cut it with 40"+ tires.

I got a quote from a builder on my SAS D60 and he told me it could be done under 5k out the door. Which isnt bad considering gearing would cost about $1500 alone.

Another thing too look at is that the IFS with that size tire is gonna break. Probably the first time you really GET ON IT. The D60 isnt gonna just break they can be broke and ive seen then break but its really alot tougher than a 8.8 IFS.

The easiest way to do it would be leaf springs, they are strong and really easy to work with. Theres also a fairly unlimited amount of lift just determines what size springs you get. Or have custom made.

The best thing to do like CODE said would be to 4 link it. with coilovers. I honestly would say i like the leaf springs for mud less to worry about. But if im rock crawling im gonna go with something else.

OK well if i were to go with the IFS i know for a fact i would be getting new gears. Now that said what size gears 5.13s? How would those work out?What Would i need to do anything with my tranny or no? Should i just see about pricing on a SAS or go with the rize 12inch and try and get them to custom make a 4 link for our trucks if they dont already make that? Im just kinda confused i guess ill say on which route i should actually go. If everything works out this will be a street queen and like driven 2 days a week or soo( bc i will have another truck) . No muddin but would like to be able to get on her sometimes instead of being an absolute dog off the line. So which would be a better route for me to go?

Sorry ahead of time im just trying to figure out what i should actually do before i get deployed so i know what im gonna do and whats gonna happen with the truck.

Old 11-18-2008 | 10:45 PM
|
also to add to this im not sure if you saw one of my post earlier here is what my IFS would look like soo far if i were to go that route and prices qouted by 4wheelparts

-Also Camburg UCAs especially with that big of tires.
-3inch Body Lift I Have Laying Around: Free
-12inch Rize Complete Front And Rear With Bilstein Shocks ( Not sure about coilovers ) : $6,593.93
-41x14X5 R18 Iroks ( i think non bias ): $1,783.59
-5.13 Gears Front And Rear: $450ish

Total: $8,847.46

Old 11-18-2008 | 11:54 PM
i think u should get a diesel personally i think f150 flarsides look ****ty my friend has a f350 all tricked out but no lift he has airfilter chip exoust 24 inch rims crhomed out it looks sick and hauls ***
if u want a pic tell me

rob

Old 11-19-2008 | 05:16 PM
Get the diesel. Trust me. I have a 95 powerstroke, that, IMO, looks worse than my F150 I love My F150, and the diesel has been taken off the road, but that old diesel is a chick magnet. Everyone loves the power of that thing.

The upgrades available for diesels seem to be limitless, and, like i said, the power will take your breath away.

The new powerstrokes, with lifts on them- WOW!!!!!

Haha, get the diesel, but only if it's a powerstroke. If u get a god damned cummins or a duraLESS, then you're wasting your money.

Old 11-19-2008 | 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by mhockey9090
also to add to this im not sure if you saw one of my post earlier here is what my IFS would look like soo far if i were to go that route and prices qouted by 4wheelparts

-12inch Rize Complete Front And Rear With Bilstein Shocks ( Not sure about coilovers ) : $6,593.93
theres the problem. The lowest gear you can run is 4.88's on our trucks. They make 5.13's for the rear but dont make 5.13's in a reverse cut. I think with 40+ you will want AT LEAST 5.13's or 5.30's And the gear install plus parts is usually between 1200-1500 depending on shop.

If you dont plan on offroading it HARD then i wouldnt worry about 4-link id go straight leaf springs. Its the easiest and this will support the weight of a diesel if you decide to drop one in.

Originally Posted by RJcavF150
Get the diesel. Trust me. I have a 95 powerstroke, that, IMO, looks worse than my F150 I love My F150, and the diesel has been taken off the road, but that old diesel is a chick magnet. Everyone loves the power of that thing.

The upgrades available for diesels seem to be limitless, and, like i said, the power will take your breath away.

The new powerstrokes, with lifts on them- WOW!!!!!

Haha, get the diesel, but only if it's a powerstroke. If u get a god damned cummins or a duraLESS, then you're wasting your money.
I cant believe you guys. Telling the man to start payments on another $50K+ truck.

Powerstrokes are ahh blah. All new diesels IMO are ahhh blah. They have too much emission control systems that are sucking power and mileage from them.

And if you want to get a diesel to drop in your truck skip the powerstroke. Go for a Cummins 12v they are hands and feet better than Powerstroke or duramax.

I see there are 2 types of people on this site, people that buy their crap, and people that build what they want.

Last edited by 4.2trimble; 11-19-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2008 | 06:56 PM
If you have another mode of transportation, I would not hesitate to perform a SAS/diesel swap on a truck. Big IFS are sh*t, to put it mildly. I would probably go w/ a simple leaf sprung suspension, as suggested by Trimble. I also would not put in a new Powerstroke, too much emissions garbage.

Trimble was correct in stating that you cannot go lower than a 4.88 reverse cut w/ the 8.8 IFS front axle. You also don't wanna mix ratio's...

I think it would be a better decision financially, and way more cool to SAS your Screw, and diesel swap it.

If you choose to retain IFS, and wanna hammer it offroad, expect to see a lot of snapped axle shafts, balljoints popped, and overall increased stress on the whole drivetrain from the strain of a huge IFS lift.

Last edited by minimonster17; 11-19-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-19-2008 | 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
I see there are 2 types of people on this site, people that buy their crap, and people that build what they want.
Its how the world works. You either build it or buy it.

As for gears, I do beleive they make 5.13 gears in reverse cut for the front. The guys running the 8.8" rear end could run 5.13 gears front and rear. Its you guys with the 5.4 3valve and 9.75" rear. There is no one making 5.13's for the 9.75" rear at this time. The other issue with gearing that high in such small axles is strength of teeth. Think about it. At a point, the only way to fit more teeth on there (to lower the gearing) would be to start making the other teeth smaller. Smaller teeth = breakage.

mhockey: go visit Pirate4x4.com Like Code already said, DON'T POST !! They bust ***** over there. unless you are hardcore and REALLY know your *****, then they will flame you. Heck, even if your the end all be all, they will still flame away. On the other side, there are some incredibly fart smellers over that way. Some of their tech articles are just plain amazing. I get tons and tons of info just from surfing around on Pirate. Awesome site, one that any builder/wheeler should be well aware of. Go over there, start searching for solid axle swaps and other builds. Here is my favorite to get you started:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...-sas-swap.html

He has a much better build on pirate, but I can't find it. Asked some guys for help, so we will see if we can dig it up for you.

How close are you to Birmingham Alabama ?? I know of a REAL quality shop down there.

** just talked to a good buddy of mine. Yall are right, no 5.13 for the front in reverse cut.

Last edited by MercedesTech; 11-19-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-19-2008 | 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by mhockey9090

Whoa hold on your going to SAS a truck just to be a street queen WTF thats like marring a super model with aids.

Old 11-19-2008 | 07:20 PM
there you go MT.

its funny they make it but not in reverse cut. i thought that was cute.

Old 11-19-2008 | 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by x_sgs_x
Whoa hold on your going to SAS a truck just to be a street queen WTF thats like marring a super model with aids.
I would say its closer to building a sick *** truck, and driving it around...

You want same old same odl factory crap ? Thats why there are kits. Like trimble said, there are those who have a pair, and build, and then there are those that don't.... and I get to make money off of them !!

Old 11-19-2008 | 07:27 PM
|
MT and Trimble thanks soo much for your help guys i appreciate it.

Looks like the better way for me too go is an SAS. With leaf springs front and rear correct? Plan on running kings front and rear. As for the front i wouldnt be able to run coil overs bc of the leaf springs correct? Also 4 link too just for the looks bc i think they look bad *** so why not? Anyways what kinda prices do you guys think this whole set up will run me?

Old 11-19-2008 | 07:30 PM
I would do the leaf springs but thats just me. I LOVE LEAFS

But 4 links are GREAT way to go.

Custom SAS will cost probably 5-6K if you have someone do it.

If you do it yourself then you could get it done for around 3k. But you need to have some great welding skills.

Old 11-19-2008 | 08:10 PM
If you go with leafs there's no coil overs or 4 links to do. A 4 link is not for looks...it has it's own set of advantages just like leafs, or RA's do. You will want to scrap both stock axles for 1 ton axles IMO. For those saying to buy a f2/350. You'd need to do most of the same suspension mods to get the same amount of performance so that's moot. Bout the only thing you'd gain there is a steering box. I don't think i'd care for the diesel offroad but that's me.

Buy vs. Build?
BUILD!!!

Quick Reply: Might keep it and ugrade?