Might keep it and ugrade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008 | 01:54 PM
|
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
this is there website, witht he contact info. You can look around the site and see some of their work.

http://www.bluetorchfab.com/contact.html

I will look into other local shops. I know there are ones closer. These people carry quite "the name" with them, and are well known. But I am sure you can find equally awesome of work with out the name brand. I will keep looking.

i appreciate it man just PM me or email me its in my sig thanks

Old 11-21-2008 | 02:11 PM
|
i called the guys there and they were talking about what axles do i want and if im bringing them in. I said no and he was asking what i wanted to run and i dont really know. So what are some good axles that i can get and do i need to put gears in them as well? I gave him an idea of what i was looking at an will give me a call later about pricing est.

Old 11-21-2008 | 03:20 PM
I would talk to them a litte tell them what your planing to do. I would suggest Dana 60's for you, since they are fairly easy to source, very stonrg, more then enough for what you will be using your truck for. Tell them the size tires you plan to run, and see what they say. You could run a Dana 70 front, and a dana 80 rear for added beef. That would be awesome. Overkill, but awesome !

Gearing, again, you can talk to them about what they think, but I would go in, saying your considering 5.13-5.38 gears.

Old 11-21-2008 | 05:23 PM
|
I would talk to them a litte tell them what your planing to do. I would suggest Dana 60's for you, since they are fairly easy to source, very stonrg, more then enough for what you will be using your truck for. Tell them the size tires you plan to run, and see what they say. You could run a Dana 70 front, and a dana 80 rear for added beef. That would be awesome. Overkill, but awesome !

Gearing, again, you can talk to them about what they think, but I would go in, saying your considering 5.13-5.38 gears.

I called and when i did i said i was not sure and they told me i should call back with a better idea but they were just going to give me an est. So il will call back and talk to them and tell them thats what i want and also would it be better to be them used and powder coat them and put gears in or just buy them brand new?

Old 11-21-2008 | 05:40 PM
|
Bc i called and he said he would run 5.38s with 44s so that what ill do but where do i buy the axles ? Used or Brand new? What brand he was asking me as well?

Old 11-21-2008 | 05:55 PM
id get the axles used and rebuild them. Unless you have gobs of money and want to have some custom built. i think OX does this.

Old 11-21-2008 | 06:06 PM
|
Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
id get the axles used and rebuild them. Unless you have gobs of money and want to have some custom built. i think OX does this.
Thats another question where should i buy them? Ebay has some so whenever it say dana 60 on it thats what im looking for right? Now what kinda things do i need to do to rebuild it? BC i have some some dana axles on ebay for fairly cheap but not sure what i will need to do to re build them?

Old 11-21-2008 | 06:09 PM
forget custom built. Your talking 3-5k for an axle !!

Buy em used. Don't need em powdercoated, unless you want. I would just have the rebuilt, and painted. You can use a rattle can designed for chasis and frame painting. Good stuff, real tough.

Dana 44's ??? Did you tell him what size tires you want ?? He might be thinking 35-36" tires. Your rear end alone is MUCH stronger then any Dana 44. Maybe Dana 44 with chromo innards, but thats pricey. I would go Dana 60's. 5.38 gears. Source them from a local junk yard. Get out a phone book and start making some calls. Also check craigslist.

Old 11-21-2008 | 06:13 PM
A rebuild consists of ALL new axle seals, new bearing, and a differential rebuild.

The front also needs knuckle rebuilds.

Thats pretty vague and generic, but gives ya an idea on what to look for.

Old 11-21-2008 | 06:18 PM
|
forget custom built. Your talking 3-5k for an axle !!

Buy em used. Don't need em powdercoated, unless you want. I would just have the rebuilt, and painted. You can use a rattle can designed for chasis and frame painting. Good stuff, real tough.

Dana 44's ??? Did you tell him what size tires you want ?? He might be thinking 35-36" tires. Your rear end alone is MUCH stronger then any Dana 44. Maybe Dana 44 with chromo innards, but thats pricey. I would go Dana 60's. 5.38 gears. Source them from a local junk yard. Get out a phone book and start making some calls. Also check craigslist.

No dana 60s with 5.38 gears and i talked to a custom axle shop and he told me just go out too a junk yard and take out the whole rear axle out of a 250 or 350 and maybe spend a couple hundred in it for gears and whatever needs to be done. Does that sound good?

Old 11-21-2008 | 06:20 PM
that sounds like it would work good. Make sure ya grab that front axle to. Junkyards tend to be priced pretty good, since its simply "junk" to them.

Old 11-21-2008 | 06:25 PM
|
http://austin.craigslist.org/pts/913904433.html

http://austin.craigslist.org/pts/919011631.html

what about something like this? All i would have to do is change gears and maybe couple other things but this is front and rear. How do i know its the right size though? like how wide it is for my wheels if it will fit my truck? Bc if i were to go to a junk yard and said i wanted 250 rear and front axles what year or older does it have to be and how wide?

Last edited by mhockey9090; 11-21-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-21-2008 | 06:38 PM
the first would be a nice grab, since they are matching. I should have mentioned, to make it easier, you will want a driverside drop Dana 60 front end (or driver side drop any axle front end). we have driveside drop axles. Here is what your front axle looks like:

see the long arm, that faces towards the passenger wheel. See where the driveshaft hooks up (on the back) see how it would be closer to the driver side. Thats because our t-case has the front driveshaft coming out in that position. It would save you worlds of headaches if you could find one that matches the t-case. Again, looking for a front end, with the differential on the driver side. Make sense ?

So, in short, the ones you posted, both rears would work fine, but the front end wouldn't be "ideal" .

Old 11-21-2008 | 06:51 PM
|
ok gotcha so the rear just about everyone is good bc they all come like in the middle. So the front the differential will be too the left. Sounds good ill try and find some junk yards around here and take some pictures of axles and then come back here to see if it looks good to grab.

Old 11-21-2008 | 08:20 PM
Drdudsads

Last edited by Drdudsads; 06-21-2011 at 11:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Might keep it and ugrade?