Might keep it and ugrade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008 | 08:41 PM
|
Might keep it and ugrade?

Thinking about keeping the truck and just upgrading the suspension on it with a min of 12inch. What do you guys think and who should i go with?

But also dont know bc i want the power of the diesel and while being lifted what do you guys think i should do ?

Old 11-16-2008 | 09:01 PM
What do you really, really want? If you hit lotto tomorrow, what would you buy? A diesel and lift or a 1/2 ton and a lift? If you really want a huge lifted diesel, you won't be happy until you get one.

Old 11-16-2008 | 09:08 PM
|
i have always wanted a diesel lifted and thats what i would buy so yeah. Thats what im leaning more towards but also can have this truck paid off for by time i get home from iraq and just totally swap out suspensions and whatever else. so its still up in the air. Either way ill post pics of the final haha but prob end up seeing a diesel in it when i get back.

Old 11-16-2008 | 09:41 PM
i have alway wanted a lifted diesel so i would probalbly get one if i had a chance

Old 11-16-2008 | 10:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Having your truck totally paid off would be real nice in my opinion.

Old 11-16-2008 | 10:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
this is about as dumb a question as there could be If you want a diesel truck and a lift bigger than 12"+ then you should just do it. Plus id hate for you to have to go through a thread about IFS paired with Massive lifts and 40"+ tires....

Old 11-16-2008 | 11:42 PM
What about doing a SAS and a diesel swap in the F150 after you pay it off? That would be what id do. It would be WAY more custom, WAY more capable, and you wont be getting all the new emission crap the new diesels have.

just a thought. and it could all be done for fairly cheap. 10k TOPS which is cheaper than buying a diesel and lifting it.

Old 11-18-2008 | 06:16 PM
|
Originally Posted by FX4life
this is about as dumb a question as there could be If you want a diesel truck and a lift bigger than 12"+ then you should just do it. Plus id hate for you to have to go through a thread about IFS paired with Massive lifts and 40"+ tires....
Why would i go through a thread about IFS and massive tires?? it would be a street queen after i add 40s and may even go up too 42s. Plus it would not be a daily driver anymore bc i would get another truck to have as a daily driver.

Old 11-18-2008 | 06:22 PM
|
Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
What about doing a SAS and a diesel swap in the F150 after you pay it off? That would be what id do. It would be WAY more custom, WAY more capable, and you wont be getting all the new emission crap the new diesels have.

just a thought. and it could all be done for fairly cheap. 10k TOPS which is cheaper than buying a diesel and lifting it.

Very true but how much would a sas run me?? how big of a lift would it get me??? how much better would it compared to running a 12inch rize lift with bilsteins, 40s or 42s, with a 3 inch body lift and 5.13 gears front and rear??? also with that wouldnt i need to get a new front drive shaft with the rize??

Old 11-18-2008 | 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by 4.2trimble

Couldn't agree more. Why buy a whole new truck and start the payments over again ? I'd swap in some Dana 60 or tougher axles. Swap in some kind of diesel perhaps, and be done. Custom truck + no payments (or at least not as large of payments vs. a new diesel)

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
Why would i go through a thread about IFS and massive tires?? it would be a street queen after i add 40s and may even go up too 42s. Plus it would not be a daily driver anymore bc i would get another truck to have as a daily driver.
It was a joke bud (hence laughing devil face). I am only assuming here, but I think he is joking around. Making fun of the threads that always follow a post like this. Then we go on to bash anyone running more then 37" tires on IFS, and then it goes on and on and on !

Also confused. You say it will be a pavement pounder. A diesel is cool and all, but any practical use for it ? How heavy do you tow ? haul ? Or is it just for the "cool factor" ? (nothing wrong with that, just curious)

Old 11-18-2008 | 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by mhockey9090
Very true but how much would a sas run me?? how big of a lift would it get me??? how much better would it compared to running a 12inch rize lift with bilsteins, 40s or 42s, with a 3 inch body lift and 5.13 gears front and rear??? also with that wouldnt i need to get a new front drive shaft with the rize??
price depends on your fabbing skills. It would cost me roughly $2-3k to swap in some new axles and SAS it. Its a rough guess. But I can also do all my own work. It would be much more pricey having a shop do it for you, but its still gunna be cheaper then a brand new diesel !

Lift depends on how much you want. Run springs or coils.... buy ones for the amount of lift you want. Simple. Any lift height you can dream up is posible.

it would be worlds better. Solid axle is million times stonger then FACTORY ifs. It would ride stiffer, but handle the tires much easier. Wear and tear wouldn't be as severe as IFS, and you'd be able to wheel it a little vs. totally useless IFS. Since you ahve said your a pavement queen.... IFS might work for you. Still would be sweet to have a solid front F150. It would be beef ! And cheaper then a new superduty, and far more custom as well.

You'd need a new front driveshaft either route you go.

Old 11-18-2008 | 06:41 PM
|
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
price depends on your fabbing skills. It would cost me roughly $2-3k to swap in some new axles and SAS it. Its a rough guess. But I can also do all my own work. It would be much more pricey having a shop do it for you, but its still gunna be cheaper then a brand new diesel !

Lift depends on how much you want. Run springs or coils.... buy ones for the amount of lift you want. Simple. Any lift height you can dream up is posible.

it would be worlds better. Solid axle is million times stonger then FACTORY ifs. It would ride stiffer, but handle the tires much easier. Wear and tear wouldn't be as severe as IFS, and you'd be able to wheel it a little vs. totally useless IFS. Since you ahve said your a pavement queen.... IFS might work for you. Still would be sweet to have a solid front F150. It would be beef ! And cheaper then a new superduty, and far more custom as well.

You'd need a new front driveshaft either route you go.

Ok well then i guess it would be better to run a solid axel swap with this truck and not sure what i should get either coils or springs. I like the looks of the coils but give me ideas or opinions as well. Maybe even pictures. I will be in Iraq here in the next month and plan on re enlisting so there for that bonus money will be the money i use for all this. I will have someone do all the work for me while i am gone if i decide to go with the sas.

But i also got a quote from 4wheelparts ( i know they are starting to have a bad rep but just got a qoute ) that said:

3inch Body Lift I Have Laying Around: Free
12inch Rize Complete Front And Rear: $6,593.93
41x14X5 R18 Iroks ( i think non bias ): $1,783.59
5.13 Gears Front And Rear: $450ish

Total: 8,847.46

Old 11-18-2008 | 06:51 PM
|
MT- Also just asking if you would know of anyone around the FT Hood/Killeen area that could do a solid axel swap. Also if i decide to do this i want to know all pros and cons about it. What exactly is a solid axel swap? I appreciate your help just so you know.

Old 11-18-2008 | 07:16 PM
I will PM ya buddy. I have listings of good people all over. I am about to leave though. I will PM ya tonight, or first thing tomorrow. Sorry for the inconvenience man !

Old 11-18-2008 | 07:19 PM
|
no worries man i appreciate every thing that your helping me with. Also if you would just rather email me its mhockey9090@aol.com thanks alot

Quick Reply: Might keep it and ugrade?