I am officially baffled!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008 | 01:04 PM
|
Thumbs down I am officially baffled!!!!

Changed all ball joints, tie rods ends are still good, haven't changed sway bar links yet but they are not broke, changed 1 coil spring, relubed the lower strut mounts, checked intake and still have a popping noise when hitting bumps and dips what the heck could it be? While driving it sounds like it's coming from the driverside front it started doping this a few months after the lift was put on. I did however get rid of some other noises but i'm still not satisfied. Anybody have any input on this. It is driving me crazy. I'm to the point of trading this truck off. Maybe I need to recruit someone to hang on under neath my truck while I drive it so the can have a look see. Oh and by the way this truck only has 25k miles on it.

Old 11-17-2008 | 01:10 PM
i have a friend with the same problem but on a 2x4 and it was his swaybar ends. hope that helps btw its an 04 scab 2wd 4.6

Old 11-17-2008 | 01:15 PM
I had something similar happen to my '06 scab 4x4, took it to the dealership under warranty and they traced it back to a loose bolt on the skid plate. Good luck.

Old 11-17-2008 | 01:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Good luck... I replaced everything in the front end and ive still got it. Im convinced its the lift itself (or something in it) shifting... It does feel like it comes from the sway bar area though, aside from replacing the actual bar idk why.

Old 11-17-2008 | 01:48 PM
i had the same issue with popping. turns out it was the lower control arm bolts. the pocket on the cross member is just a hair bigger than it needs to be for the lower control arm. i had it in for an alignment a month ago and had the guys torque the mess out of them. he put around 260 ft/lbs on em. noise is gone.

Old 11-17-2008 | 02:23 PM
|
Haven't checked actual brackets for lift, I went back through my instructions for the lift and there are no torque specs anywhere for anything other than ball joints and strut mounting bolts ford says 351lbs and auto springs said like 225 that is quite a difference. My torque wrench only goes too 250... Anyway going to check all that, and also thought about pulling the sway bar completely loose and driving it down the road to see if that is the culprit. What are the torque spec for the A-arms?

Old 11-17-2008 | 03:04 PM
the superlift instructions stated 150 or somewhere around there. but you need to tighten down enough to sqeeze the pocket a little bit. BTW, nice truck you got there.

Old 11-17-2008 | 03:17 PM
Global Moderator &
it could also be any number of bushings in the control arms, sway bar, etc

if the lift wasnt installed correctly they could have broken one or two of the control arm bushings and that would make a knocking noise in the front end.

Old 11-17-2008 | 07:54 PM
|
Surprise, Surprise... It was the driver side sway bar link. It is not broke but is completely shot, will have some tomorrow. Meanwhile I'm still checking everything underneath just ran out of daylight. However, I did drive it with sway bar totally unhooked and the noise was gone. There was about a 1/8" in and out play on the bottom mounting joint.
Appreciate the help guys!!!!!!!!

Now does anyone know where to get extended brake lines for our trucks? Haven't found anything yet.

Old 11-18-2008 | 02:19 AM
my RCD lift came with extended lines..... im sure that most of the major lift distributors could get you a set.... and glad to hear you got the noise figured out.... my next guess would be to have checked the cab mounting bolts.

Old 11-20-2008 | 09:06 PM
What does the swar bar end links look like? Can you post pics of the broke one you found?

Quick Reply: I am officially baffled!!!!