3" lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008 | 04:34 PM
|
3" lift

I have a 2008 F-150 SCREW FX4. I am getting a 3" lift within 3 weeks, and am wondering should I go with the PA 3" BL or something like Skyjacker 3" Suspension lift. I wont be able to replace tires, so I will be sticking with 275/55/R20's for right now. NO, I am not going to lift my vehicle more than 4 inches... partly because my dad technically owns it, and said no more than 4", and because it seems like every other truck on the road that's lifted has a 6" SL. I would just prefer to do something a little different.... also, I already have 3" Level kit. I love the look, but its eating at my coil springs, so I am going to take that off when I get the lift. Any photos would be really nice! Thanks!

Old 11-21-2008 | 06:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Well a 3" suspension lift isn't really worth all of the hassle imo when you can get the much better looking 6" lift, but, personal preference does play a roll in everything which is understandable. The 3" BL will give you the look, but not the clearance with the frame, however a 4" lift would, and have the same height possibly, so it all comes down to what do you think would be better? Are you willing to do a full suspension job? or just jack the body up some which requires nearly the same amount of patience, but is much easier to do?

Old 11-21-2008 | 07:00 PM
You could go with a 4.5 inch lift that superlift makes. I think you could convince your dad to let you get this lift, its only a half inch more. Or just tell him its a 4" lift. Plus a suspension lift is a much better lift than a body lift, you could come into problems down the road with a BL. Heres the link for ya.. http://store.4wheelingplus.com/prodd...od=K789&cat=63

Old 11-21-2008 | 07:12 PM
ride- nice link

to the OP: I would consider the cost- $1500+ on a suspension lift or $450 tops for the body lift and gap guards...I'd opt for the body lift and save some cash- hell the 1k you'd be saving could go toward some new hoops

Old 11-21-2008 | 07:27 PM
body lifts are not the easiest thing to install, but by no means are they terrifyingly complex. its a PITA to fight all the stock body bolts out, Ford uses some sort of crazy permanent thread locker on them.

that said, a 3'' suspension lift is generally garbage, and will wreak havoc on your front end geometry. while on that subject, your 3'' leveling kit really does need to go. you are putting a lot of strain on your cv shafts, ball joints, etc. don't be surprised by the accelerated wear, boots tearing, etc.

personally, i would do it correctly, with either a body lift, or a 6'' suspension lift. 4'' suspension lifts are almost expensive as the 6'', and the skjacker 3'' suspension lift is pretty much garbage. there's a reason for the "tried and true" 6'' and 35's...

Old 11-21-2008 | 07:41 PM
Suspended
well then i would go with a 4 inch rancho lift. still can use your stock rims and tires and it dont push the tires out alot. no spacers up front, new shocks, awesome ride, 1 piece subrame. i got one of my 07 and can fit 35's on 20x10

Old 11-21-2008 | 08:45 PM
Yea the kits are as much as 6" kits. That is why I would not get a 4.5" lift, but I thought that is his only option for a full lift under 6" besides a body lift. I would just go with the 6" if it was my truck, which is why I am saving up now for one. ATOM your truck looks good with only a 4" lift.

Old 11-21-2008 | 11:47 PM
|
well, my problem is that I can't get tires right now (part of the deal with my dad)... I can't do both the lift and tires this semester. So what I really want to know is,does the 3" skyjacker put the joints at too much of an angle? From Caseykm28's pictures it looks as if the 3" Skyjacker replaces the stock springs and still puts everything at a heck of an angle... I like to do some off-roading... mostly mudding and driving on the beach... My dad is adamant about nothing over 4"... lol, thanks for the suggestion about the 4.5" if I go with the Rancho 4" it will cost me $1,979.00, or if I go Skyjacker 3", $515.95 (which includes shipping). I guess if I were to choose the Rancho 4" I would just buy some 35X12.5/R20 Mickey Thompsons and keep my 3" level kit until next semester is up... beacuse it looks top heavy and really weird with stock tires on there (JonesFarm)

Old 11-21-2008 | 11:54 PM
|
well... my biggest concern is, with mudding or driving on the beach, is that angle really too much, and going to wear out my ball joints and all "too fast"? or maybe wear them out just a little faster? I remember the first time I went mudding (when the truck was bone stock) the skid plate acted like a shovel, lol.... at the car wash, the mud was just plopping out of there, haha

Old 11-22-2008 | 02:06 AM
You could try to sell your dad on the benefits of a good 6" lift. Find something with replacement coilovers that will give you a better ride than stock. Tell him about how the lift components are better engineered than stock. I have a Fabtech which also offers a steering stabilizer. Convince him that the new crossmembers, spindle, struts, et cetera actually make the truck safer for you to ride in.

Old 11-22-2008 | 06:22 AM
Suspended
get ahold of josh at sportrailerz for the best price on a rancho. the 3 inch skyjacker give you as much lift as a 2.5 autospring and a rear block, hmfic had both on 2 different trucks and got more lift from the AS. remember you get what you pay for. the cheapest route now, may end up more $$$ later on.

Quick Reply: 3" lift