Is a lifted trucks IWE still in warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is a lifted trucks IWE still in warranty?

Hi all..... the past 2 days i have had my driver side IWE sticking on me.... when i pop into 2wd, it will give the famous grind. so, if i use a heat gun to warm it up, it will free up real easily, and then work for a couple cycles into and out of 4wd, then stick again.

i called the dealer to ask if they were ever affected by temperature (its been in the single digits), and he said that temp shouldnt affect it. i kinda thought it wouldnt matter, just wanted to verify.

so i asked him if my lift would affect the warranty, and he said he didnt know. i can understand if they wanted to say the lift voided the warranty on a balljoint, cv axle, etc.... but not the IWE (unless they try to say some crap about it being bolted to an aftermarket knuckle).

tomorrow i am going to see if i can grease it up and replace the hub o-ring... but if i have to bring it in to the dealer and they finally decide that its not covered, then i will have to fork out about 100.00 just for them to "look" at my truck. not really my cup of tea.

so, my question is whether or not you think it should still be covered under warranty. if the majority thinks not, then ill just fix it myself, and use the 100.00 wisely.

what do you think? sorry for the long post, but thanks for your help !!

ohh... 2006 150 SCREW.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it should be covered, it sounds like a 4x4 issue which should have nothing to do with the tire size.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:25 AM
yeah they should cover it. not sure if its the same thing but.. i had a grinding ice in a blender noise for a while. it seemed like it would do it when it would rain that day. it would be off and on,but i took it in and they tested the 4x4 system and took everything down and greased and cleaned it and no more problems.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:17 PM
There is a TSB for the vacuum solenoid for the hubs. If thats what your talking about. Mine used to pop in and out and i found the tsb on line some where and took it to them. apparently it is mounted some where on the firewall and water can run down on to it and jack it up. So the new one the put on is water proof. If you can find the TSB they will have to change it for free. They did mine.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:19 PM
There is a TSB out, here it is...

{Some 2004-2006 F-150 and 2006 Mark LT 4X4 vehicles
built before 4/24/2006 may exhibit a noise in 2 wheel drive from the front Integrated Wheel Ends (IWE) and/or the 4X4 system being inoperative. The IWE solenoid may have ingested water and passed it to the IWE system causing water contamination in the vacuum portion of the system. A shorted IWE solenoid can set the codes C1979 and C1980. If either code is present, the 4WDH light will be inoperative.}

Old 12-31-2008, 11:20 PM
here is he tsb #

TSB 06-8-15;

"Some 2004-2006 F-150 may exhibit a noise in 2 wheel drive from the front Integrated Wheel Ends (IWE). The IWE solenoid may have ingested water and passed it to the IWE system causing water contamination in the vacuum portion of the system."

Old 12-31-2008, 11:35 PM
thanks NWAF.... i was actually thinking about it today, and i was thinking that i may have some water inside the IWE. every time it sticks, i can free it up after i warm it with a blow drier..... that tells me that there is an ice chunk in there with all of the cold weather we have had..... tonight it is suppsed to be 5 degrees with a -20 windchill.... i think i will just take it all apart and check for myself, rather than mess with the dealer. im sure thats all it is.... i know my solenoid is working fine, i have plenty of vacuum on the rubber hose to disengage the IWE.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:58 PM
thats the thing, the new and improved solenoid is water proofed
thats what i was told it is encased in rubber or plastic

Quick Reply: Is a lifted trucks IWE still in warranty?