front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front end noise

Ok guys, I need some advise, I was told that b4 an alignment can be done on my f-150 2001 supercrew 2 wheel drive truck that my idler arm needed to be replaced, So I replaced it myself with a moog and also at the same time replaced the pitman arm, mostly because i figure I am under there already and then also because there is no grease fitting on the original ford so i replaced the pitman with a moog also.

My question, I know it needs to be aligned now, but I still have a clunking or pop noise when I seem to turn left and then back to center, doesnt happen on bumps and have not heard the noise on right hand turns. I jacked up the driver side under the lower A arm, I then tried prying up and down for ball joint check, which has been replaced with greasable moogs by the previous owner, by the way the truck has 38000 miles and is lifted with a 4 inch suspension lift by fabtech, when I grab the tire and move it inward towards the passenger side, the whole wheel and attached parts move inward a good amount, its like I am able to move the driver side jacked up wheel in and back out while the passenger side tire is on the ground? Is that normal? If not, what can cause that? truthfully the truck drove straight and smooth before I even changed the idler arm and pitman arm, but did do what i just described.

Anybody out there can tell me if I still have problems b4 I take it to be aligned? I was wondering if that is a symptom of bad tie rods? Inner and outer? Any information you can tell me will help me greatly!

One more thing, my sway bar on the front end seemed to be loose, I think whoever had replaced the end links didnt tighten the end link nuts dowen tight enough, I was able to grab the bar and move it side to side in the bushings in the middle of the bar where it attaches to the frame, is it supposed to? after tightning the end links it seems better, sorry for the long winded post but I am trying to make my truck as safe as possible!

please answer me at email or here, email is elwoodbdr@comcast.net

Quick Reply: front end noise