Uninstall a body lift?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009 | 02:54 PM
|
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
forgot about the spacer. but the truck will look much bigger IMO, but i'm not sure if i would spend my money on 2" of lift, but i do agree w/ pat, that the leveling kit changes the ride of the truck a bit. i can't stand driving my sister and dads truck, so rough compared to mine. that red subframe of the rancho would look sick on your truck pat
I agree, it would be sick.

Would it be worth it if the truck was stock? It would be 4'' of lift.

It's the same thing with people buying 6'' lift when they already have a leveling kit. Only gaining 4'' of lift.

I don't want to sound like a jerk or anything, but for me it going from a cheap 2'' lift to a real 4'' or 4.5'' lift. My real concern about the 4'' lift is the actual ground clearance under the cross member. Will i gain some or will lose some or maybe it's going to be the same thing i have now. If i do lose or stay the same, now it's not worth it.

I hate truck's

Old 01-08-2009 | 06:06 PM
the ground clearance will be the same unless you get bigger tires. the lift will lower the front crossmember anyway.

Pat, is your trucks speedo recalibrated for the larger tires??

Old 01-08-2009 | 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by °°Pat°°
I think something is wrong with my truck, because my last tank i did 11.5 MPG US or 13.7 MPG Imp. and i only have 34.6'' tires. I do have the stock gear, witch is 3.73 though.

Or maybe it's a mix of gearing and weather. It's -5F most of the time around here and i'm 80% of the time driving in the city.
Ya i have stock 3.73 gears but i have a intake, programmer, exhaust...And I dont baby it either. I like to hear my true dual straight pipes going down the road haha

Old 01-08-2009 | 07:16 PM
|
Originally Posted by str8t six
the ground clearance will be the same unless you get bigger tires. the lift will lower the front crossmember anyway.

Pat, is your trucks speedo recalibrated for the larger tires??

So in the end it's 2500$ for a better ride... Not worth it at all

Yes it is. I recalibrated the speedo with my GPS. It's .3 or .4 mph off.

Old 01-08-2009 | 07:21 PM
|
Originally Posted by ugacoop16
Ya i have stock 3.73 gears but i have a intake, programmer, exhaust...And I dont baby it either. I like to hear my true dual straight pipes going down the road haha
Well something is wrong with my truck. I have almost the same setup. Edge Evo at level 2 and magnaflow catback. I just took off my K&N intake, because de rubber connecting the intake tube to the filter was cut... That's because the rubber is rubbing on the heat sheild. Damn body lift

And i only have 34.6'' tire and they're light compare to other MT out there.

Old 01-08-2009 | 07:30 PM
11.5 mpg isnt bad in the city. some people get that STOCK!!

i get 13mpg mixed with 35's and stock 3.55 gears with exhaust and superchips tuner.

it would be better for you to spend the money on gears!! it will really help your truck get up and go in the stop and go city driving.

Old 01-08-2009 | 08:03 PM
|
Well 11.5 mpg when the truck doesn't see over 2k rpm most the time is bad, i think.

I'll look into re-gearing first. I found Yukon gear (4.56) with master installation kit for 700$ CAD. I think the price is good.

Old 01-08-2009 | 11:36 PM
Pat you should give national 4wd a call they have like 7 different shops across canada with great prices and customer service

Old 01-09-2009 | 12:54 AM
|
Originally Posted by c-huck
Pat you should give national 4wd a call they have like 7 different shops across canada with great prices and customer service
Thanks, i'll check the web site, because i'm almost deaf. So speaking on the phone is a hard task for me.

Old 01-09-2009 | 08:34 AM
a 6'' suspension lift is a true 6'' lift, meaning that the whole frame is picked up, and the stock suspension geometry (angles) are retained. the suspension (differential and all) is dropped down to compensate for the lift. the ride will be more like stock w/o the leveling kit, and your cv's will be happier, but your tire selection has a huge impact on ride as well, so don't put your hopes too high on a better ride w/o the leveling kit.

removing the body lift will require all the stock body bolts and bushings, as well as whatever else may have been deleted w/ the body lift.

i can see your reasons for wanting to go to a 6'' suspension and remove the body lift. i started out w/ a 3'' body lift on my truck, and recently put on a 6'' fabtech suspension for better ground clearance. trimble is correct though, stating that oversize tires are what provide true ground clearance over stock. i'm still turning a 35'' tire w/ the 9'' lift combo, btw. it doesn't look bad, really.

Old 01-09-2009 | 10:58 AM
|
Originally Posted by minimonster17
a 6'' suspension lift is a true 6'' lift, meaning that the whole frame is picked up, and the stock suspension geometry (angles) are retained. the suspension (differential and all) is dropped down to compensate for the lift. the ride will be more like stock w/o the leveling kit, and your cv's will be happier, but your tire selection has a huge impact on ride as well, so don't put your hopes too high on a better ride w/o the leveling kit.

removing the body lift will require all the stock body bolts and bushings, as well as whatever else may have been deleted w/ the body lift.

i can see your reasons for wanting to go to a 6'' suspension and remove the body lift. i started out w/ a 3'' body lift on my truck, and recently put on a 6'' fabtech suspension for better ground clearance. trimble is correct though, stating that oversize tires are what provide true ground clearance over stock. i'm still turning a 35'' tire w/ the 9'' lift combo, btw. it doesn't look bad, really.

I agree with you, 35'' with 9'' on 1997-2003 ain't bad at all. On 2004-2008 it's something else.Well for me atleast.

I know a 6'' suspension lift will lift the entire frame 6'', but the subframe/Crossmember look to be lower then stock with leveling kit on certain lift kit.

Anyway i still have time to decide, it's a summer project.

Thanks everyone that help.

Old 01-09-2009 | 07:29 PM
well, obviously, that's how an IFS truck has to be lifted. a subframe is bolted onto the frame, and the suspension, differential and all, is dropped down to compensate for the lift. longer shocks, sway bar endlinks, etc are added as well.

you still have more clearance at the front frame crossmember than you did stock, as the suspension is dropped down 6'' w/ the lift crossmember, if that's what you're trying to say. however, bear in mind that your engine, tranny, transfer case, gas tank, all your vulnerable and critical components are all lifted up 6'' w/ that suspension lift as well. a body lift provides no such clearance there.

in the end, it is the tires that provide the final suspension clearance off of the ground, as already stated by 4.2trimble.

Last edited by minimonster17; 01-09-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-09-2009 | 09:34 PM
|
Originally Posted by minimonster17
well, obviously, that's how an IFS truck has to be lifted. a subframe is bolted onto the frame, and the suspension, differential and all, is dropped down to compensate for the lift. longer shocks, sway bar endlinks, etc are added as well.

you still have more clearance at the front frame crossmember than you did stock, as the suspension is dropped down 6'' w/ the lift crossmember, if that's what you're trying to say. however, bear in mind that your engine, tranny, transfer case, gas tank, all your vulnerable and critical components are all lifted up 6'' w/ that suspension lift as well. a body lift provides no such clearance there.

in the end, it is the tires that provide the final suspension clearance off of the ground, as already stated by 4.2trimble.

I never thought about it this way, adding protection to the drivetrain.

I'll try to find a great deal and decide what to go with. 4'' or 4.5'' or 6''

Old 01-09-2009 | 10:39 PM
|
I've been looking at suspension lift installation picture and the procomp cross member may not look good, but actually give more protection to the differential then other lift. I know they put skid plat there to protect, but a cross member will protect more, no?

Last edited by °°Pat°°; 01-09-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-09-2009 | 10:45 PM
Suspended
well if you do a 4" 35s will still look good. if you do a 6" you will need atleast 37s

Quick Reply: Uninstall a body lift?