Anyone know of a coilover install writeup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009 | 11:44 PM
|
Anyone know of a coilover install writeup?

I've looked through the aftermarket suspension threads as well as the 2004-2008 F150 forum and came up empty handed. I'm wondering because I have coilovers and rear shocks sitting at home and have read that people haven't had any trouble installing them themselves aside from needing a strut compressor? I know that after an install I will still need an alignment but aside from this is there anything special to be done? A self installation should for sure save me some money.

In addition to this, can anyone add any input on an installation of the rear shocks along with an AAL? Level of difficulty as well as anything special that needs to be used?

Thanks guys. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-27-2009 | 12:00 AM
Yo Indo,

Here is the sway away pdf.

http://www.swayaway.net/joomla/images/InstallInstructions/9961_FORD04%20F-150_2-5INFRONT.pdf

You don't need to unbolt the top ball joint on the spindle a-arm. Just remember the nitrogen schrader valve points out towards you if you have sway aways. You will need to finesse the shock into place.

Should be cake job on the front.

If you bought the long leaf pro-comp add a leafs they are a bitch to install. If you did buy them, you have to bend the two clamps on the leafs packs open with a big pry bar and sledge hammer. I took the leafs off my truck and bent them open on my work bench. It made life much easier and my back wasn't throbbing later that day. I also threw a slab of grease on the ends of leaf pack even where the poly pads don't touch. The steel on steel sound after rain will get to you fast.

If you didn't get the pro-comps I can't help you but it should be easier.

Old 01-27-2009 | 12:29 AM
|
Thanks Chris. I actually went with fabtech 2.5" coilovers but from the looks of them it's similar. As far as the AAL goes, I have yet to get one although I was lookint at the pro comp add a leafs. I have just withheld from buying yet because I wasn't sure which ones I would need for our truck. I thought that the ones I would need would be the pro comp part number 13132 but was unsure if that was correct and if it is, what else would I need in addition to the leafs? Center pin? Leaf clamp? U bolt?

Old 01-27-2009 | 02:40 AM
I'm pretty sure Sway Away used to make fabtech's coil overs. I talked to one of the guys who machined them in San Jose a while back and he said they are the same thing.

You have the part number wrong on the leaf kit. That is for the 97-03's and is the wrong width should be 3 inches not 2.5.

The part number you need is the 13134

here is the link on summit

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...w=1&N=700+150+

I also installed some shims between the leaf and the top of the blocks to clock the rear end. The aal's start to rotate the rear end a bit and this help bring it back.

The shims are from polyperformance, rad shop in SLO

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...im-p-2306.html

The kit comes with the center pins, you won't need longer u-bolts and you can bend the leaf clamps back around the leaf. Don't worry when the stupid little plastic clips snap in half. Just a heads up, the leafs are a friggin pain in the *** to install but they are pretty dam nice. They are the long leafs so they are not as stiff as the little shorties everyone is running and help keep the ride not so choppy. I had the short leafs in a ranger back in the day and it rode like chit!

Got anymore questions let me know...

Old 01-27-2009 | 03:05 AM
|
I'll be sure to ask if I have any. For the meantime, that will be more than enough to get me doing some research tomorrow. Thanks again.

Old 01-27-2009 | 03:26 PM
|
Alright I need opinions here. My shop can match the AAL price along with the shims so that's a wash BUT my here's where my decision comes in.

They've quoted me $600 for an installment of front coilovers, rear shocks, AAL and an alignment. Is this too steep? I know that if I go there it'll be done right but on the other hand my buddy can most likely figure it out for a hell of a lot less (his dad owns a tow truck company so the shop/lift/tools is no problem). What do I do? Is $600 for all that labor really all that much or am I simply being stingy with my money here?

Thanks guys. :o

Quick Reply: Anyone know of a coilover install writeup?