THANK GOD for cops..

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009 | 03:26 PM
|
THANK GOD for cops..

..for busting drug dealers, haha..anyways my wife works at the sheriffs office and they just busted a guy in a 2006 ford with a fabtech lift..and 35s..well since my wife works there and shes related to the sheriff i get 1st dibs just got to pay for the uninstall and swapping out from my truck to his..so it can go get sold at the auction..ill take pics as sooon as i get everything up and going..

but heres the question, i currently have a body lift, take that off and just use the 6 or add?? also its a 4x2 i cant afford gears/huge tires right now..

Old 01-31-2009 | 03:32 PM
Damn man, lucky you. I'd say keep the BL and add the 6". Seems to me like the majority of people always get something and then end up wanting to go bigger. I started with a 4". Then went to a 6". Sold that truck for another 6" and now I'm in the process of makin' it an 8" lol. It's addicting and e x p e n s i v e .

Why not take his lift and his 35s? You could run the 6" with the BL and 35s for the meantime until you get the money to get 37s or 38s. Just a thought.

Old 01-31-2009 | 04:15 PM
Are you paying anything for the lift or you getting it for free?

Old 01-31-2009 | 10:15 PM
I had to chuckle at this one.I guess thats one for the good guys.Maybe the next time the dealer gets busted,he will have another lift kit available.

Old 01-31-2009 | 11:22 PM
Not to be jerk but it seems to an ethics issue. Just because he is a crimanal doesn't make it OK to conduct shady business on your end. Technically you should purchase the truck then sell it without the lift. The truck does not belong to a civil servant like the sherrif so what right does he have. Good luck.

Food for thought....

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/24/2476.asp

Old 01-31-2009 | 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by Davespeed
Not to be jerk but it seems to an ethics issue. Just because he is a crimanal doesn't make it OK to conduct shady business on your end. Technically you should purchase the truck then sell it without the lift. The truck does not belong to a civil servant like the sherrif so what right does he have. Good luck.

Food for thought....

I would have to agree and that's why I posted the question above. Just because the Sheriff's department has possesion of the vehicle it does not make it their property to do with as they please. I wouldn't think atleast. Isn't the taxpayers property or at very least the Sheriff's department's property and not that of the Sheriff himself? Seems to me that you would be 'stealing' public or Sheriff's department property if you aren't paying for it. Even if you are paying for it, should it be at open auction and not just because you have 'connections'?

Old 02-01-2009 | 12:11 AM

Food for thought....
If he was caught with drugs the police can seize his property because he owes taxes on the drugs that were seized.

What, taxes on drugs? Yes. The federal government taxes illegal drugs, and the only way to pay those taxes is to bring the drugs for measurement so the proper taxes can be paid. Want to talk about shady?

When drug dealers/users get busted the cops can confiscate personal property that they will then sell off to pay the taxes owed.

Fair? No. Law? Yes.

- NCSU

Old 02-01-2009 | 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
If he was caught with drugs the police can seize his property because he owes taxes on the drugs that were seized.

What, taxes on drugs? Yes. The federal government taxes illegal drugs, and the only way to pay those taxes is to bring the drugs for measurement so the proper taxes can be paid. Want to talk about shady?

When drug dealers/users get busted the cops can confiscate personal property that they will then sell off to pay the taxes owed.

Fair? No. Law? Yes.

- NCSU
I think you missed the argument. We weren't questioning the fact that the property was siezed. We all agree that is legit. What we are talking about is the fact that the guy who listed this didn't say anything about paying for the lift and therefore the 'taxes' aren't being payed. It sounds like he's just paying for the removal and install of property that is not his. That property should be sold to get the money to pay for those 'taxes' and not given away to a family member of the force. That is criminal from my understanding.

You see what we're getting at now?

Old 02-01-2009 | 12:25 AM

Food for thought....

The truck can be forfeited to the state of Texas if the courts find that it was involved in the commission of a crime or bought with money from criminal activity. Once it is forfeited, it will most likely be given back to the agency that seized it. At that point, it is property of the Sheriff's Department. And, the Sheriff can do with it as he/she pleases as long as it is used for law enforcement activities or to generate money for the Department. One could easily argue that taking the lift off will allow them to get more money at auction than if they tried to sell it lifted.

And, in case you didn't read the last bit of the story you posted, your story concludes that a private law firm found no laws were broken.

If the Sheriff is cool with it, why shouldn't he take advantage of the deal? 99.9% of people would be hard-pressed to turn it down.

Old 02-01-2009 | 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by mainguy21
just got to pay for the uninstall and swapping out from my truck to his..so it can go get sold at the auction..
Truck is still being sold to cover taxes. Now I don't know exactly how much the police can confiscate. Maybe the guy only had $1000 worth of drugs, way less than his truck is worth, maybe it was way more, we don't know and I'm not a lawyer.

Yeah, it sounds like the OP is getting a break because of who he knows. If he doesn't pay for the lift, then yes, I'd consider it stealing from the taxpayers of where ever he's from.

- NCSU

Old 02-01-2009 | 12:30 AM
Well I agree that he should pay something, but if they are offering it to him he doesnt have to jump up and say "No I will not except this for free, I will give you money for it." And it is not his fault for them doing so, it is of the sheriffs office, so dont jump on this guy for getting this lift.

And he hasnt said ANYTHING about paying for it, so we know nothing about it, so until he responds we shouldnt say anything or argue about it.

Old 02-01-2009 | 12:43 AM
Suspended
yall are missing the main point of this thread. HES GETTING A LIFT!

Old 02-01-2009 | 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by ride_002000
Well I agree that he should pay something, but if they are offering it to him he doesnt have to jump up and say "No I will not except this for free, I will give you money for it." And it is not his fault for them doing so, it is of the sheriffs office, so dont jump on this guy for getting this lift.

And he hasnt said ANYTHING about paying for it, so we know nothing about it, so until he responds we shouldnt say anything or argue about it.
I don't think anyone is arguing here. We're just posting some thoughts. I definitely said that he didn't say anything about paying for the lift or not and nobody here has accused him of not paying for it.

No harm no foul.

Even if he isn't paying for it I don't think the guy is a **** for taking advantage. I probably would too and so would most people. If that IS the case, all I'm saying is it's jacked up for the Sheriff to be even considering it. If it is breaking the law that is because I don't know whether a law is being broken or not.

Let some cop offer me a free lift and see if I don't take it!!!! IN A HEARTBEAT!!!

Old 02-01-2009 | 12:53 AM
Has this accused drug dealer been convicted? The truck can't be touched until he is convicted and then the truck could be seized after. Innocent unti proven guilty. If he retains a lawyer then you could be waiting some amount of time. Sorry man but it too shady to me. Are the parts worth the possible hassle?

Old 02-01-2009 | 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
yall are missing the main point of this thread. HES GETTING A LIFT!
The circumstances are hindering an overwhelming positive resonse here. Honestly.... The OP should hole the thread and keep it to himself.

Im out

Quick Reply: THANK GOD for cops..