Ordering RCD lift

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordering RCD lift

Ok, I am finally ready to pull the trigger. I have a 2003 F-150 4x4 automatic trans and the 5.4 motor. I am going to order the 5" RCD kit from the "suspension special" section from NTW Online. I just want to make sure this is the right decision. Why is it so much cheaper here then anyware else? Is it the exact same kit? Also, my brother in law and I will be installing the kit. How difficult is it to install? I was looking for installation instructions on the RCD site, but they do not have any. Any advice would help. Thanks in advance!!
-Jason

Old 07-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm only aware of one version of the RCD lift for our trucks. NTW is a respected company so I'm sure it's a legit deal. Just contact them and make sure it is the complete lift and contains everything including shocks, rear lift blocks (or add-a-leaves), etc.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:32 AM
I want the 5" RCD kit with the rear add a leaf, but the description of the kit in the suspension special section of NTW Online says rear blocks. I was not aware of any RCD kit for a '03 F-150 4x4 coming with blocks. Does anybody else have any experience or input into this situation?

Old 07-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by 1nascarfan
I want the 5" RCD kit with the rear add a leaf, but the description of the kit in the suspension special section of NTW Online says rear blocks. I was not aware of any RCD kit for a '03 F-150 4x4 coming with blocks. Does anybody else have any experience or input into this situation?
you might get your lift on before i do, i still need to order rims and tires.
and to answere your question about what comes with it, call this number
1-800-847-3287 ask for sales, they will tell you everything that comes with the kit for your truck. and as far as i know you can only get it in a add a leaf for the rear. i didnt ask they just told me its an add a leaf. also it comes with black boot covers you do not need to order diffrerent color inless you want different color, but id ask first about that they may have sent me extra.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:25 PM
chris_w_2008
Are you sure that the kit includes the black shock boot covers? I ordered it today, and forgot to mention boot covers. It says in the discription that boot covers are not included and cost $5.98 per pair. Also, how many total boxes did your kit come with?
-Jason

Old 07-21-2009, 03:14 PM
chris_w_2008
Are you sure that the kit includes the black shock boot covers? I ordered it today, and forgot to mention boot covers. It says in the discription that boot covers are not included and cost $5.98 per pair. Also, how many total boxes did your kit come with?
-Jason
when i got mine i reveived 1-4 boxes wich one of the boxes had my bilesten shocks in them and with the shocks had black boot covers on them. i also thought the same thing, you have to buy them seperatly. so i ordered some red ones. so the day after my 1-4 boxes showed up i got my 5 box (totall of 5boxes inless you get shock covers wich came on day 3 than it will be 6 boxes. it all depends what fedex wants to do, the guy at NTW told me fedex will seperate boxes up because they can only have so many boxes on one truck or something like that. hope this helps. also they ended up sending me 4pairs of red boot covers totall of 8 shock covers so i have a set (4) black and red boot covers if you want them, ill be using the other red ones, just email me at
chris_w_2008@hotmail.com if they dont send you any, if you could just pay shipping. since i payed for a set

Old 07-22-2009, 09:30 PM
chris_w_2008
Thanks for all your help! I ordered on Monday, and it shipped out on Tuesday morning. I should be seeing boxes tomorrow or Friday. I could not be more excited! I bought my truck new in 2003 and waited 6 years to get this lift. I am going to be using my current 17x9 **** Cepek DC-1 chrome rims on 33" BF Goodrich KM 2 mud tires for now. Next spring I will up grade to 35" tires and will be getting 4.10 or 4.56 gears. What tires and wheels are you planning on getting?
-Jason

Old 07-23-2009, 09:12 AM
chris_w_2008
Thanks for all your help! I ordered on Monday, and it shipped out on Tuesday morning. I should be seeing boxes tomorrow or Friday. I could not be more excited! I bought my truck new in 2003 and waited 6 years to get this lift. I am going to be using my current 17x9 **** Cepek DC-1 chrome rims on 33" BF Goodrich KM 2 mud tires for now. Next spring I will up grade to 35" tires and will be getting 4.10 or 4.56 gears. What tires and wheels are you planning on getting?
-Jason
im planning on a 16x10 american eagle alloy 187 polished with either 315/75/16 (34.6 tire) cooper discover stt or mastercraft ct, im thinking more the cooper discover stt. then after this is done and over with i have a buddy who is getting ready to trade his 2003 ford f150 5.4 in for a new one he is going to give me his tuner so ill get that hooked up. then ill probably do the gear also.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:01 PM
chris_w_2008
I just recieved all of my boxes. I opened them up to check it all out, and noticed that the installation manual says 4.2L or 4.6L with 4R70W transmission. I have the 5.4L with the 4R70W automatic transmission. I was just wondering if your manual says the same thing. I always thought the motor didn't make a difference as long as I got the right kit for my transmission pan size. I hope I didn't just make a $1265.00 mistake.
-Jason

Old 07-24-2009, 09:27 AM
yea mine said the same thing 4.2l 4.6l and i have the 5.4 with the 4r70w trans so i think they forgot to but 5.4 on there. if you want call about and see what they say, but im pretty sure it will work because its for a 4r70w trans.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Chris,
I just called NTW. They said that the engine size doesn't matter as long as we have the right trans. That is what I thought, but it did make me a little nervous to see the 4.2L and 4.6L only.
-Jason

Old 07-24-2009, 03:19 PM
me to but i never got around to call and i seen in my instructions or somewhere that it was for the 4r70w trans, did you get shock boot covers with yours? i still got a set of black ones and red ones if you need any. i probably wont have mine on for awhile ive been trying to find a torsion bar tool remover

Old 07-24-2009, 04:49 PM
I got the black boot covers that came on the shocks. I am waiting on my new ball joints to show up. We are installing the lift and ball joints at the same time.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:22 PM
cool cool, how are you removing the torsion bars, i dont really want to spend the money to buy the tool i really havent searched it yet on what people do but i did hear you could get hurt from all the torsion unloading on top of you. so i need to figure out a way to do this with out getting hurt or damaging anything.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:52 PM
My brother in law and I will be doing the install at his house. He has all kinds of tools, but unfortunately no torsion bar removal tool. I have not put much thought into how to get the bars out yet, but worst case scenerio is my father in law use to work at the local Ford dealership as a mechanic. He still has friends that work there. If nothing else, we might be able to borrow one for a day or two. I will be keeping my eye on your other thread to see what other guys have done. We probably won't do the lift and ball joints until at least next weekend anyway.

Quick Reply: Ordering RCD lift