Corrected rearend misalignment

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009 | 04:59 PM
|
Post Corrected rearend misalignment

This post is for anyone who had/has this problem, because when I was searching for answers I found nothing.

Problem: Basically, my driver side rear tire was sticking out much farther then my passenger side rear tire. Or, one could say my passenger side tire was "sucked in" if you will.

Measurements: From the outside of the frame, right above the bumpstop (inside the rear fender well) to the outside of the tire, measured almost an inch more on the driver side. Also using a string, holding one end at the front of the fender well and the other at the rear, I drew a line on the tire where the string laid. Basically seeing how much the tire stuck out from the body. Just as with the frame measurement, the driver side measured almost an inch more.

Conclusion: This told me (and Im not a mechanically genius, I just get by) that the body and frame werent the problem and the the entire rear axle literally has shifted to one side. What else could it be, other then the leafsprings, right? I also checked the shackles and hangers, and though they werent in prefect condition, they didnt seem to be bent or anything. So I inspected the springs and they did infact seem to have "sagged" towards the driver side, however not incredibly noticeable.

Solution: I replaced both sets of leafsprings, along with the leafspring bushings and shackle bushings. And now both sides measure pretty close to same.

Quick Reply: Corrected rearend misalignment