Pitman arm check???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009 | 11:48 AM
|
Pitman arm check???

What is the best way to check to find out if your pitman arm is bad. I keep getting a shimmy in my steering wheel. I have replaced the idler arm twice and someone recomended that the pitman arm could be bad causing the idler arm to wear faster. I have had it aligned after all the work I have done and nobody has said anything to be about the pitman arm.

Also do you need an alignment after you change out the idler arm and pitman arm?

Sorry the truck is a 2001 Supercrew 4x4.

Thanks in advance, Marty

Last edited by 91SuperCrew; 08-08-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-28-2010 | 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by 91SuperCrew
What is the best way to check to find out if your pitman arm is bad. I keep getting a shimmy in my steering wheel. I have replaced the idler arm twice and someone recomended that the pitman arm could be bad causing the idler arm to wear faster. I have had it aligned after all the work I have done and nobody has said anything to be about the pitman arm.

Also do you need an alignment after you change out the idler arm and pitman arm?

Sorry the truck is a 2001 Supercrew 4x4.

Thanks in advance, Marty
One of the best ways to check for play in your steering is a "dry park" test. have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth (truck not running) just taking up the free play, while you look at the steering linkage. Might have to take off the cover underneath to get a good look but this will give you the best view of any excessive play in your steering linkage(tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm)..

Last edited by rockercar; 05-20-2010 at 02:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Pitman arm check???