back end comes around hard??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
back end comes around hard??

I think I need new shocks. I bought this truck not to long ago and it had approx. 92,000 miles on it. I have noticed that when I am drivng at above 30 mph that there is a "chatter" in the rear when I hit a bump. The front seems to go over the bump fine but when the rear tires hit it, they hop. If I am turning, like on an overpass or ramp and encounter a bump, it jerks the wheel and throws the back end around like it wants to fish tail. Its not an alignment issue and the tires are good. Shocks???? back and front or just do the back first because the front "aint " cheap.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:08 PM
No suggestions anyone?? I had the shocks tested and they said they were good. Tech said to add weight in the back that these trucks like it rough??

Old 08-18-2009, 12:25 PM
In one respect the truck is meant to handle under a load, but should still be drivable empty. Out of curiosity, is this your first truck? If you are used to other vehicles and how they ride/handle what seems normal to many of us may seem a bit much to you. In other words I may just overlook the feelings you are experiencing.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:32 PM
first truck??

hawk, thanks for the response, but first truck?? Come on, I am a 40 yr old male from TN, bite your tounge. This is my 6th FORD pick up and 2nd KR. What makes me notice it is that I have never had another truck do it. Its not a rough ride, the back end literally feels like it wants to fishtail on me. Again, its primarily if I am turning and hit a good bump, not going straight.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:52 PM
it is your shocks. Maybe a bent leaf spring but i doubt it

Old 08-18-2009, 11:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
New shocks in the rear will help. There is one bump on the interstate that I hit daily that does that. I watch the pick ups in front of me to see how well they handle it. My 01 had trouble with it. When I put Rancho shocks on it did great.

Now my 08 does not take it as well as my 01 did. I put Bilsteins on expecting it to handle it perfectly. I first put Bilsteins on the rear and the hop is gone, but the front still had some chatter. Then I put Bilsteins on the front and it is much better, but there is still pull to one side. I think it is the road and there is nothing I can do. The 08 still does not take it as well as the 01 did.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my truck does this when i go over bumps around a turn it is because the back end is so light since there is really no weight over the rear axle

Old 08-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by SSINDYKR
hawk, thanks for the response, but first truck?? Come on, I am a 40 yr old male from TN, bite your tounge. This is my 6th FORD pick up and 2nd KR. What makes me notice it is that I have never had another truck do it. Its not a rough ride, the back end literally feels like it wants to fishtail on me. Again, its primarily if I am turning and hit a good bump, not going straight.
Shocks prob are the case, but how the hell am I supposed to know you are a 40 yr old male from TN on your 6th Ford? At 92K new shocks would not hurt so that would be a good place to start. I was just trying to cover all the cases because like I said if you were a first time truck owner you may be thrown off by how a truck handles compared to a car, so please don't tell me to bite my tongue anymore. Good luck with your issue.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Easy hawk, I was just kidding and making coversation. No malice intended. Thanks for your response. On the shocks, anyone care to explain why the front cost so much more than the back??

Old 08-19-2009, 11:03 AM
No problem, just not having a good morning otherwise it probably would not have bothered me.....no worries. As far as cost I am sure someone can answer this better than me, but if you look at the form/fit factor the construction of the front shock appears to require additional fabrication, not to mention larger bushings etc.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:16 AM
The front shock goes inside the coil spring and it all comes together. The amount of engineering to go into the front shock is much more compared to that of a simple rear shock.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:41 PM
thanks, makes sense on the front shocks. Update on the ride; threw a couple of 75lb sand bags in the back, one over each wheel well, seems to help quite a bit. Maybe I am just missing my 02' KR that got stolen earlier this year and its in my head. Hell, I dont know.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Doc
Thumbs up

My F-150 '97 2WhlDrv does this on certain interstates here in Kalifornia.
The Monroe shocks are about 2 or 3 years old. Front end is fine (aside from a boot that is leaking and I need to replace the A-arms I guess), no hope, smooth. Back end (empty) is very jiggly (190K miles on her). Just bought some Bilstein rears (at good discount -shockwarehouse) and will see if exchanging the Monroes out helps the back end. With full tank of gas it is definitely better so I'm sure it is basically an 'empty bed bounce'.
Leafs were changed out at about 55K so they are not bad.
Thanks
Doc

Old 09-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
definitely sounds like rear shocks. After 50k there isnt much left of factory shocks on a truck

If you need some extra help making those corners, consider lowering the center of gravity, or adding a rear sway bar, or both :o

Quick Reply: back end comes around hard??