01 2wd leveling kit need to install

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 2wd leveling kit need to install

I've been looking everywhere for a thread for the 01 body style leveling kit. I saw an excelent write up on how to install one on the newer body style, but there isnt one for my truck. from what ive read it shouldnt be very difficult to do the installation, is there a website that has a step by step to install a kit on my truck?
I would have had my mechanic install it but he wanted to charge me 200 to do it, sounds like some other people have had it done for a lot less, but ive had no luck with that either.
also im about to get new tires, so can i get a little bigger size after i install the kit without rubbing?

Old 08-15-2009, 11:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Basically you remove the coilsprings and reinstall them with the spacers and get a front end alignment. you can run up to a 33x12.50 depending on the wheel you use.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I installed mine myself and it's very simple. Jack the truck up and take off the front tires. Work one side at a time it's easiest. Remove the sway bar bolt from the lower control arm as well as the lower shock bolts. Then remove the brake caliper and hose bracket and set it aside. Then remove the upper shock bolt and drop the shock out. Remove the cotter pin from the Uca ball joint nut. Jack up the lca and remove the ball joint nut. Lower the lca down the remove the spring and factory spacer, install the new one and re- assemble the get the truck aligned and your good to go.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, I'd go ahead and install adjustable camber bolts while you have the front end apart. They are pretty cheap (around $40) and some trucks need them to get the alignment withing specs with coilspring spacers while some don't. So might as well install them to be safe. They are just bolts with a cam on the head that replace the bolts that mount the control arms to the frame.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:38 PM
is it going to be self explanatory once i get the wheel off? cause i dont know the names of all these bolts your refering to. it looks like advance auto parts here in town has some caliper bolts so ill go get some of those before i start this project, is there any special tools im gonna need? i have a cheap socket set and some wrenches and a couple adjustable wrenches, will this work or should i buy some new tools?

im looking at putting the bridgestone at dueler revo on my truck, i like the look and from what ive read they are great on the road, and will do anything my 2wd will do offroad. im using stock rims, right now ive got 235-75-16 this tire has a 235-85-16, would that be to tall? here is the tire sizes:
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tir...Selected=32780

Old 08-16-2009, 12:38 PM
is it going to be self explanatory once i get the wheel off? cause i dont know the names of all these bolts your refering to. it looks like advance auto parts here in town has some caliper bolts so ill go get some of those before i start this project, is there any special tools im gonna need? i have a cheap socket set and some wrenches and a couple adjustable wrenches, will this work or should i buy some new tools?

im looking at putting the bridgestone at dueler revo on my truck, i like the look and from what ive read they are great on the road, and will do anything my 2wd will do offroad. im using stock rims, right now ive got 235-75-16 this tire has a 235-85-16, would that be to tall? here is the tire sizes:

Old 08-16-2009, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Murray92589

you should be fine with a decent set of 1/2" drive metric sockets but you will need a 21mm deep socket and wrench. they make things alot easier.

wandell was refering to a camber bolt kit not caliper just making sure your not confused. my truck had a set previously installed so i didnt have to worry about it.

ill head outside and get some pics for you to make it easier.

with stock 16" you can easily run 285/75R16 with a 1.5" kit. thats the setup im running.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:12 PM
thanks for the info, your truck looks great, you dont ever have rubbing when your turning with those bfgs? they look pretty close. some extra photos would be helpful, but dont work to hard at it, i can probably find some on google. i might have to wait a bit longer if i go with that size tire, those are about 60 more than the size i have now.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:24 PM

Ive got at least a good inch all around at full lock. i just got some pics and if you need more ill be happy to do it. i should have just done a full write-up when i installed it.
you may also need a ball joint fork from autozone for like 10 buck in case a ball joint needs some convincing.

heres what the camber bolts look like installed

Upper shock mount

there is a nut at the top of the shock under the mount that you need to hold with a wrench to release the nut.

Angles and clearance (full lock then shut engine off and released the wheel slightly)

this shows the ball joint, nut, and cotter pin that need to be removed.

this is under the lca and its the tie rod bolt

and here are the lower shock bolts also under the lca

Old 08-16-2009, 01:52 PM
ok i think i got it now.. ill make sure to take some pictures while im doing everything and do a write up on it... some of the rubber seals around the camber bolts and top of the shock mount look kinda worn should i go ahead and replace those or does it matter?

Old 08-16-2009, 01:56 PM

i dont think it really matters about the shock one but i had my ball joints replaced like 3 months prior to the leveling kit and had most of my seals and bushings replaced.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:04 PM
ok ill see how much new seals cost. thanks again for the help

Old 09-02-2009, 02:11 AM
So you don't need a spring compressor for this??

Old 09-02-2009, 02:56 AM

no i just used my hydraulic jack and was very careful

Old 09-02-2009, 03:11 AM
I had a buddy of mine who is a certified yota mech. help me with mine. so he had all the tools and jacks we needed.

but be careful. it can be addicting. I got lift-off and want to now get some 3.5" spindles to give me about 5" of lift.

Quick Reply: 01 2wd leveling kit need to install