Clunk noise from rearend or tranny???

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009 | 02:24 PM
|
Clunk noise from rearend or tranny???

I just installed the 7.5" fabtech on my 2wd screw. It looks sweeeeet, but I'm gwetting a clunking noise from the rearend I think. It may be coming from the tranny. It only happens when I take off from a start when giving gas.

Could it be the angle of the driveshaft that makes the noise?

It didnt do this before the lift install.

HELP....... I dont like noises

Old 08-19-2009 | 09:39 AM
I think the angle of the driveshaft may be part of the cause. You may have had a U joint(s) that was getting some wear on it and starting to go bad but not enough to make noise. Now that you have increased the angle it may be starting to sing. Did you install a driveshaft spacer?

Old 08-19-2009 | 04:50 PM
it sounds more like a bad u-joint than anything

try to get under the truck and see if you can feel if there is any play in them

Old 08-20-2009 | 10:29 AM
|
I'll have to take a look at the U-joints this weekend.

I wasnt aware of any spacers I had to put in the driveshaft after the lift.

I got a smoking deal on my lift I couldnt pass up.

I traded some guy straight accross for my stock lift , stock rims and new tires on my truck for his 2 year old fabtech 7.5" lift complete front and back and his rims and 35" tires. The only bad part was the tires are waisted. I didnt see anything on his truck for the drive shaft.

Old 08-21-2009 | 09:29 AM
Spacer may not have been required, but I think spline connecting the driveshaft to the transmission may have had to slip outward a little to connect. I doubt this is your problem though. I would just take a better look at the U-Joints as you plan to do. Sounds like you got a good deal, got any pics?

Old 08-22-2009 | 01:32 PM
I had the same problem, Noticed on the rear leaf springs that the front of the top leaf had a 1 inch gap from the rest of the spring, when you takeoff the front of the rearend would torq downward until the springs come together. I bought a couple of leaf spring clamps, installed one on each side, This fixed my problem you might give it a try.

Old 08-24-2009 | 11:52 AM
|
I am going to check things out tonight.

I did notice that my driveline was hanging out of the tranny about 1.5 to 2" longer than normal. I'm not sure how long that thing is, but its not leaking yet.

I'll check the leafs as well. I only get it at takeoff from a dead start. It clunks a little. I can throttle up once I'm going and here nothing.

Thanks guys for the responses.

JUST POSTED PIC IN MY PROFILE.

Last edited by Murfscrew; 08-24-2009 at 12:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Clunk noise from rearend or tranny???