Steering Problems after Level Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009 | 08:55 AM
|
Steering Problems after Level Kit

I have installed a 2.5 inch level kit, new shocks and 295 Goodyear Duratracks. I had the allignment done with the tires and new tie rod as well. Since the level kit was installed I am having diffculty turning corners and noticeably the steering return is also a problem. The condition is not consistent and there are times when everything seems fine but for the most part it really difficult to turn corners. Any ideas or similar problems?

Old 09-02-2009 | 12:32 PM
When you say turn corners are you saying your turning radius has decreased or its physically hard to turn the steering wheel? Please provide more details. In the mean time I can say that the leveling kit is probably not the source of your problem. It may start from new heavier tires (power steering pump issues?? check the fluid) or maybe something is going on with your new tie rods (doubt it). Once again please provide some more details.

Welcome to the site.

Old 09-02-2009 | 01:24 PM
check tire pressure.

oaw

Old 09-03-2009 | 07:57 AM
|
Turning is harder, the radius is the same. The problem started with the lift and before the new tires (all tire pressures are checked). I have checked the pump with a mechanic last night and his thoughts were the steering rack because the tie rods are at a steeper angle. The most interesting thing is that it is not consistent and sometimes is less difficult or totally normal. When you are turning a corner you will hit a hard spot that you have to muscle it through, the same thing on the return.

Last edited by STU'S SCREW; 09-03-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-03-2009 | 09:44 AM
He is right your tie rod angles have changed but I did not think you would see that much of a difference. I have a 2.5 AS level on my truck and notice no difference in turning. I am curious if your PS pump is starting to wear/fail, and the increased angles made it show more. I know its trivial but you did check the PS fluid right?

Old 09-03-2009 | 10:43 AM
|
YUP checked the fluid and it is OK, din't seem to be the pump when we were testing it. I have near 200,000 K on the truck and I am not sure that the lift is not magnifying normal wear. It just seems to hit a tight spot when turning and not through the entire turn.

Old 09-04-2009 | 10:07 AM
It will increase wear esp on your ball and cv joints. Have you ever replaced any of those? They may be binding on you.

Old 09-08-2009 | 07:00 PM
|
I believe the ball joints have been done. The problem is sparatic and today it was fine.

Old 09-08-2009 | 07:01 PM
|
I believe the ball joints have been done. The problem is sparatic and today it was fine.

Quick Reply: Steering Problems after Level Kit