torshion bar problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torshion bar problem ?

ok- been having a bad ride problem - changed shocks and tires thought the problem was in the rear, i recently found on the front end that the suspention travel / rubber stopper has been crushing down on the wheel suspention (control arm?)
so my question is - when the ball joints were replaced maybe they did not adjust the torshion bars properly- is that all i need to do is tighten the torshion bar nuts 1 or 2 turns?? will this take some bounce at high speeds out

Old 09-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You suspension should touch your rubber bumpstops as it cycles. However, it should not be resting against them when you are parked.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:06 AM
sorry, it took so long to reply - i understand that it's normal for the rubber to contact, but only the driver side metal part is damaged- it looks like someone bashed on it with a hammer and mushroomed it down. i wish they would make it ez to attach photo's so could show it

Last edited by FF301; 09-20-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:16 AM
add the pictures to photobucket.com and then copy and paste img codes here.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Where are the torsion bars adjusted to now? There's really no "wrong" adjustment...just different heigth levels. Post up some pics as requested or describe how far in the adjustment nut on the key is cranked in.

Also, adjusting them in, which raises the front of the truck, will also make them firmer which will only aggravate a bouncing problem, not help it.

The problem with torsion bar trucks is most people want a softer shock to improve (soften) the ride, but this doesn't work. You need a shock that will control the torsion bars movement which is usually stiff anyways. A softer shock on our truck usually doesn't accomplish much of anything but make the ride bouncy.

Quick Reply: torshion bar problem ?