Few questions about body lift?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009 | 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by WowGuyF150
How high is your lift?
11" Total

Old 11-08-2009 | 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Ibrocun
When you are doing a suspension lift you are raising 100% of the trucks sprung weight. When you do a body lift you raise about 25%.
Don't forget, the payload (both in the cab and in the bed) will be lifted as well. So, not only will your payload capacity be reduced but the center of gravity will be even higher than if calculated without considering the driver, passengers and any tool weight or other payload in the bed.

Which is fine if you want a PEAC0CK disco car instead of a real truck.

Last edited by Real; 11-08-2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Dumb editor censored PEAC0CK! (needed to use a zero)
Old 11-08-2009 | 10:54 PM
I don't believe the payload capacity is affected by a body lift. Of course the center of gravity is raised with a body lift, just like it is with a suspension lift or even installing taller tires. That's just part of it. However, most owners here with 3 inch body lifts or 4 to 6 inch suspension lifts will tell you it's not enough to be noticable in normal everday driving.

Old 11-08-2009 | 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by wandell
However, most owners here with 3 inch body lifts or 4 to 6 inch suspension lifts will tell you it's not enough to be noticable in normal everday driving.
I don't care what "most owners here with 3 inch body lifts or 4 to 6 inch suspension lifts" will tell me, I trust my own experience before I believe someone who is trying to justify their PEAC0CK disco ride. No one here is going to convince me that lifting a truck does not change it's handling or safe load carrying ability. I have never driven a lifted truck that was not compromised in important ways. The truck currently under discussion has 11 inches of total lift.

And "normal everyday driving" is not always normal. I have learned this from 35 years of driving on public highways. Sometimes the unexpected happens and it's up to me to react to it. I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Old 11-09-2009 | 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by Real
I don't care what "most owners here with 3 inch body lifts or 4 to 6 inch suspension lifts" will tell me, I trust my own experience before I believe someone who is trying to justify their PEAC0CK disco ride. No one here is going to convince me that lifting a truck does not change it's handling or safe load carrying ability. I have never driven a lifted truck that was not compromised in important ways. The truck currently under discussion has 11 inches of total lift.

And "normal everyday driving" is not always normal. I have learned this from 35 years of driving on public highways. Sometimes the unexpected happens and it's up to me to react to it. I don't expect that to change anytime soon.
And I don't think anyone here really cares to try and convince you whether lifting a truck will change it's handling or safe load carrying ability. The OP asked for honest opinions from people who drive lifted trucks (or PEAC0CK disco cars as you call them, what ever the hell that means ) on a daily basis. My trucks been lifted for 4 years now. I can honestly say that I feel lifting has improved my hauling capacity with the beefier suspension. It definitely hasn't decreased the performance of hauling anything for me.

Old 11-09-2009 | 05:05 PM
|
Wow, Real, you sure are REAL disgruntled about something.. Thanks for your opinion/assinine comments . I'm glad that lifting my truck is going to make a it a fake truck now. I guess I can't haul anything, tow anything, or drive through high water or something a "real" truck could. Thanks everyone else for your inputs and opinions from your pea**** disco cars..wtf

Old 11-09-2009 | 05:10 PM

Can't we all just get along?~Rodney King

Old 11-09-2009 | 06:36 PM
Wow, Real, you sure are REAL disgruntled about something.. Thanks for your opinion/assinine comments . I'm glad that lifting my truck is going to make a it a fake truck now. I guess I can't haul anything, tow anything, or drive through high water or something a "real" truck could. Thanks everyone else for your inputs and opinions from your pea**** disco cars..wtf
Thats was not entirely necessary. Some people are just set in their ways and get defensive is all. My truck is lifted also with a suspension lift AND a body lift and I think its MUCH improved over a stock truck. Still tows just as much as before, and actually rides better I think. Even with just a body lift I never noticed the "disco" action that this guy is talking about just like EVERY other body lift owner will tell you that they didnt. The only way that something will go wrong with doing a body lift or that it will look like crap is if some one half a** installs it.

Lifting your truck is a preference, and its obviously not Real's preference which is totally fine. I think you should lift it if thats what you like.. after all Real isnt going to be riding in it with you everyday.

Old 11-09-2009 | 08:51 PM
|
I completely agree with you B2therad. He came in pretty hostile, and I saw no reason. It's my preference to lift my truck for whatever reason I may choose. I asked a few simple questions and for some opinions, Not to be attacked and for my truck to be made fun of. Oh well, no biggie. Some People are just like that for no reason.

Old 11-16-2009 | 02:25 PM
Wow, Real, you sure are REAL disgruntled about something.. Thanks for your opinion/assinine comments .
You might be disgruntled too if one of your best friends had lost his life at age 20 because his lifted truck rolled over and killed him at 7 in the morning. His life was just starting, he had a good job with one of the better builders and a new baby.

Maybe you would like to direct your comments to his son who never knew his own father?

Get a life.

Old 11-16-2009 | 08:19 PM
|
K, I'm not gonna e-argue with you. Sorry for your loss, though. Ill work on getting a life. I'm 22, married, own a house, and have been working since i was 14.

Back to subject. Body lifting will not allow clearance on my tires rubbing will it? If you're just lifting the body off of the frame, I dont see how it could add clearance if the tire is rubbing the sway bar or something down with the frame...

Old 11-16-2009 | 10:31 PM
3inch PA lift here. Love the way it looks. My truck feels as solid now as it did before. Would have liked a true suspension lift, but the body lift put my truck where I wanted it for a lot cheaper. If I could have done a suspension lift, would've done it. I've seen some real nice RCD and Fabtech lift on here with the added benefit of riding as good or better than stock. I need gap guards, I know!!!

Old 11-16-2009 | 10:47 PM
Back to subject. Body lifting will not allow clearance on my tires rubbing will it? If you're just lifting the body off of the frame, I dont see how it could add clearance if the tire is rubbing the sway bar or something down with the frame...
If your tires are rubbing the sway bar the only way to get away from that would be to put some sort of suspension lift i.e. lift spindles or an actual kit or getting aftermarket wheels. If you go with aftermarket wheels now then the tires will rub on the fender well rather than the sway bar. Doing the body lift at that point will keep you from rubbing on the fender well. If you body lift it now, and you are rubbing on the sway bar(which if you are running 285's on stock wheels then you are) then body lifting it will not help the rubbing at all. You need something to get the tires further from the sway bar so that its not able to get close enough to rub.

Old 11-17-2009 | 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by Real
You might be disgruntled too if one of your best friends had lost his life at age 20 because his lifted truck rolled over and killed him at 7 in the morning. His life was just starting, he had a good job with one of the better builders and a new baby.

Maybe you would like to direct your comments to his son who never knew his own father?

Get a life.
Very sorry for your loss. I know what you are saying and I've seen auto accidents result in tragedy too many times in my career. It's not easy to tell someone their loved one is killed or to photograph and help remove bodies from a vehicle. However, it's not fair to blame all lifted trucks as death traps. I don't know the circumstances in your friends wreck, and the truck he was in my have been a huge contributing factor. However, every accident is different and there are circumstancs where a large vehicle is a huge safety advantage. Like I said, every accident is different and you can't just blame one vehicle as unsafe. If we did, do you think motorcycles would even be allowed on the street?

Old 11-17-2009 | 07:23 PM
Not sure what year truck yours is, but if it's same generation as mine in sig pic, I'm running those size tires. My truck is stock 4x4 no lift. I would think a 3" body lift on your 4x2 would give you similar stance. I have a bigger pic in my profile. It's a good size, but 35's would look even better.

Quick Reply: Few questions about body lift?