grinding when turning and moving

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009 | 05:49 PM
|
grinding when turning and moving

Last weekend I took my truck on some pretty rough rocky trails. Since then when I turn left at speed (passenger side suspension compresses) I hear a grinding noise that sounds like something metal spinning and hitting against something else metal. The noise varies with speed, the faster I go the faster the grinding. It only does this when the suspension is compressed. When driving very slow and turning left, it does not make any noise. Turning right is no problem regardless of suspension and speed. Visually inspecting everything absolutely nothing seems wrong. Before I go replacing stuff I want other opinions on what could be wrong. My first guess would be to replace the CV shaft. Any other ideas as to what it might be? Also, I'm 100% sure its not the tire rubbing anything.

Old 12-11-2009 | 08:43 PM
first thing i would check is brakes, if not then check your hub. could be a number of things.

Old 12-12-2009 | 12:16 AM
My first guess would be to replace the CV shaft.
I doubt it is your cv joint, most of the time if they are starting to fail you need a load on them (in 4x4) to get them to make noise like that. As 99Lariat42 said, have a look at your breaks, and check your hub assembly. You should be able to jack the front up and move tire in and out by and to check for excessive play in your hub.

Old 12-12-2009 | 12:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Something very similar happened to me (in my old Chevy Tahoe) a few months ago. It turned out to be nothing more than surface dirt (no chunks or anything like that) in the front-right suspension and around the brake calipers. Several good rinses and it was good as...well as good as a 12 year old truck can be. Not saying that your problem is this simple to fix...but it's a quick and cheap fix if it is. Good luck!

Last edited by ncTidalWave; 12-12-2009 at 12:56 AM.

Quick Reply: grinding when turning and moving