Leveling kit: A-Arm hitting Coil!! How to resolve??

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leveling kit: A-Arm hitting Coil!! How to resolve??

While driving over speed bumps or any big bumps the front suspenson extends enough to cause the upper a-arm to hit the coil on both sides. It has been this way for years and I'm tired of it.. Anyone know how to fix the problem or another kit to buy.. I have a 2.5" billet kit now..
Thank you!!

Old 12-31-2009, 04:58 PM
Try the Auto Spring leveler. It has a slight offset to avoid this very issue.

HYPO

Old 01-01-2010, 09:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ what he said. Too bad you weren't around earlier, you could have found out sooner!

- NCSU

Old 01-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Even with the offset AS kit the coil still hits the A arm. Been there, done that. That's just how it is with a leveling kit. A byproduct of messing with the original suspension geometry.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Not to threadjack, but has anyone tried or had luck with the front springs that LMC sells to make the truck level? They are more expensive, but if no headaches its worth it to me.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by HYPO
Try the Auto Spring leveler. It has a slight offset to avoid this very issue.

HYPO
Yeah, I saw that style. I wanted to see what you guys though would be a good idea. Its only rubbing a little. Just enough to wear the coating off of the drivers side spring. Your idea may take care of that. Thanks for your timely responce.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
^ what he said. Too bad you weren't around earlier, you could have found out sooner!

- NCSU
Oh, I think I'm a member under another name. It's been a while so I started over, haha.. It hasn't hurt anything yet, it just sounds like a Dodge when I hit bumps lol.. Thanks again

Old 01-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks for everyones help!!

Last edited by SVTME; 01-01-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Technical Article Contributor

No coil to control arm contact with my Bilstein 5100s on the 2" setting.
Though the autospring spacer (maybe go a bit shorter for 2") should be better than what you have now.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:56 AM
a leveling kit that sits ON TOP of the strut will cause a-arm to spring contact because the arms are able to droop the extra amount. A spacer that goes between the coil and the upper strut mount or Bilstein 5100 shocks will not have a-arm to coil contact because the strut will still "top out" the same as it did before it was leveled.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by Paralyzer
a leveling kit that sits ON TOP of the strut will cause a-arm to spring contact because the arms are able to droop the extra amount. A spacer that goes between the coil and the upper strut mount or Bilstein 5100 shocks will not have a-arm to coil contact because the strut will still "top out" the same as it did before it was leveled.
Well, I purchased the offset. Its the only lift that make actual sense. The bilstein ides is nice and I understand the concept. Its just that when you are adding a greater angle to the control arm it causes them to move closer to the coil either the spacer way by adding from the top or the shock way by adding lenght up from under the coil. In my mind they should both hit the coil. Auto Sping is a good company and an easy fix. I will probably only own the truck for another 2 years anyway, max. Thanks for the input!!

Old 01-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by SVTME
Well, I purchased the offset. Its the only lift that make actual sense. The bilstein ides is nice and I understand the concept. Its just that when you are adding a greater angle to the control arm it causes them to move closer to the coil either the spacer way by adding from the top or the shock way by adding lenght up from under the coil. In my mind they should both hit the coil. Auto Sping is a good company and an easy fix. I will probably only own the truck for another 2 years anyway, max. Thanks for the input!!
not true. think of it like this...at work i lift several F150s on my 2 post hoist every day. The wheels are hanging as far as the factory shocks will let them before they top out and they come nowhere near the coil. Adding a spacer between the coil and the strut mount is the same thing, the controll arms will still only droop as far as the factory strut will. Now if u add say a 1.5 inch spacer ontop of the strut mount like the AS it will droop the amount of the factory strut PLUS 1.5 inches...which is what makes it contact the coil.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:31 PM
ive never heard of that, glad i didnt get a leveling kit

Old 01-04-2010, 04:12 AM
Technical Article Contributor

The Bilsteins are actually longer than stock travel, but short enough that they don't cause anything to bind. That is why they are the best (imo) solution to leveling.

Quick Reply: Leveling kit: A-Arm hitting Coil!! How to resolve??