san antonio mechanics/shops

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010 | 12:43 PM
|
Question san antonio mechanics/shops

I'm just getting back home since leaving in 1973, and i don't recognize the place. when i left, 1604 was a 2 lane dirt road half an hour out in the sticks... heck, when we moved here in 67 (the 5th time to Fort Sam), marbach and military didn't even have a light. Now I don't know where anything is anymore.

who/what in san antonio, texas, are the reputable shops, dealers, mechanics, etc., that offer services for the 97-03 F150, such as suspension, power train, dyno, custom fabrication, etc.?

thanks
jg

Last edited by Joethefordguy; 01-08-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-08-2010 | 03:20 PM
Truck of the Month
Welcome back! If you don't mind me asking, what side of town are you on now? I don't have a ton of different experiences yet but I'll chime in with what I do have. I have a 2002 F-150.

Dealerships:
I use Northside Ford on 281. Its between Nakoma and Bitters right near the airport. They have a huge service center and are self-contained. If you get the right service advisor, pretty good experience here.

Jordan Ford on 35-N out towards Schertz is really good. I've had nothing but good experiences with their service department (used to have a 2001 that I took there and my other family members use them). They have an affiliated body shop, Jordan Collision, just down Judson Rd going toward 1604 from 35.

Shops:
I've had great experiences with a place called Planet Pickup out off 410 near I-10.

I also really like the Discount Tire on Austin Highway out near Alamo Heights. The guys are real friendly and the service is usually pretty quick.

There's also a Brake Check a little further down Austin Highway between N. New Braunfels and Broadway thats pretty good.

There's a new Truck Specialty shop call INXS out off 1604 between 281 and I-10. If you're going from 281 to 10 its on the right side in a bit of a strip center. Its closer to 10 than 281. I haven't had anything done there, but they seem to have competitive pricing, a bunch of services, and a very nice store. Staff was helpful as well.

Hopefully more San Antonio natives can chime in for you as well. I'd like to know some of the other good spots as well. Again welcome back to San Antone!

Old 01-08-2010 | 03:27 PM
|
Thanks!

Originally Posted by russ10screw
Welcome back! If you don't mind me asking, what side of town are you on now? I don't have a ton of different experiences yet but I'll chime in with what I do have. I have a 2002 F-150.
...Hopefully more San Antonio natives can chime in for you as well. I'd like to know some of the other good spots as well. Again welcome back to San Antone!
thanks, that helps tremendously. i've done some internet research, and reached out to a few places, but, surprisingly (i'm surprised, anyway) most of the ones i try to talk to don't email or call back...

i'm on the NW side between 1604 and 410 off of bandera. i've got family near lackland, and i office near there, too. i've got a property out past junction, north of telegraph, so all that, along with fort sam, is pretty much my "huntin' grounds".

Old 01-08-2010 | 03:45 PM
Truck of the Month
Good deal. I know exactly where you are. I've lived here my whole life (30 yrs) and even I can't believe how much the city has exploded. Especially out in that part of 1604 between 35 and I-10 on the west side. The areas out 281 N, Stone Oak, and I-10 are ridiculous.

My wife and I actually just went camping a few weeks ago out near Junction. One of the state parks out there, I think it was South Llano? Is that right? I can't remember.

Anyway, I just heard of another one: Collision Services off of Valiant. One of my co-workers just had some work done there and said they did a great job and actually worked with him on price.

Old 01-08-2010 | 08:39 PM
I would look up a place called off road concepts. I have bought things from them and they were very co-operative and have good customer service. They are located near the airport, and their instillation prices are hard to beat.

Old 01-08-2010 | 10:36 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by b2therad
I would look up a place called off road concepts. I have bought things from them and they were very co-operative and have good customer service. They are located near the airport, and their instillation prices are hard to beat.
Where are they? I'd love to check them out. Do they do everything or do they specialize in something in particular?

Old 01-08-2010 | 11:46 PM
Global Moderator &
im not too close in DFW but i could arrange to do a big project with you in Austin if needed. Or you could come up this way and just do it up here

Old 01-08-2010 | 11:48 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
im not too close in DFW but i could arrange to do a big project with you in Austin if needed. Or you could come up this way and just do it up here
Is that an open invitation?

Old 01-08-2010 | 11:53 PM
Global Moderator &
if youve got something you need me to work on sure, send me PM/Email

Old 01-11-2010 | 12:49 AM
I have the link to their website.

http://www.orcsatx.com/

When I was dealing with them.. I talked to a guy named Darren and he was pretty helpful. I would buy/will buy from them again. I am not quite sure what they specialize in, but I have seen some pretty nice looking trucks come out of that place. I would check them out. They are having specials right now on all their labor so if you were going to get something done I would get on it pronto.

Old 03-04-2010 | 08:39 AM
|
i tried to work with planet pickup, that did not work out. my perception is that my 2000 F150 2WD is beneath their consideration. the guy i spoke to just lied to me; telling me nothing was made for the half ton 2WD (I was asking for replacement bumpers, HD suspension components and such). i won't be going back there again!
But, I will be trying out the other suggestions here. The shop my family and i have been using for years (Pablo's on Bandera) has undergone new management and i don't like the way they do business there anymore. we had a hard time getting an estimate honored (they finally did) and now work on my truck is getting delayed. more on that later!

Old 03-04-2010 | 10:07 AM
Truck of the Month
Man I'm sorry Planet Pickup didn't work out for you. Do you know who you spoke with there? They've always been a little dry, but I've had nothing but good luck with them. Sorry about that.

Old 03-04-2010 | 11:20 AM
|
no biggie. you win some, you lose some. maybe it wasn't the truck, maybe it was me. either way, there's lots of places to spend my money.
i thought it odd, because most places, especially in this economy, will offer alternatives if they don't have what you ask for, rather than tell you they got nothing for you.
the guy was a little on the small side, longish grayish hair. polite enough, but "no, no. no" was all he knew. if he was a girl, he'd be a virgin forever.

Last edited by Joethefordguy; 03-04-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-05-2010 | 01:31 AM
Hey Joe..

Sorry i never got back with you before, the guy down the street never got back with me on where his shop was or the name of it and I pretty much forgot about it till someone posted on my profile.

Jordan Ford is Great.. Both in the sales and the Parts and Service dept.

A guy named Anthony used to own Planet Pickup, he was a geat guy. But I havent been over there in almost 7 years now..

Last time I was up at 4 Wheel Parts off Broadway north of 410 was in 08 right after I got my SCrew.. They were still nice but all new faces to me.. They can order lots of stuff and they do full installs but price for labor was higher than it used to be. They wouldnt install my HBS leveling kit because it wasnt a brand they carried..

Old 03-05-2010 | 01:37 AM
I haven't heard anything good about planet pick-up in a long time.

I still stand by off road concepts.. the guys there have been very nice to me and the customer service was great. Another option you have.. which isnt necessarily local but still very helpful none the less is truckaddons.com. They have a ton of parts that can be used on your truck.

Quick Reply: san antonio mechanics/shops