Conflicting Rear Suspension mods...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010 | 08:43 PM
|
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Conflicting Rear Suspension mods...

Title pretty much says it all. I finally get in touch with everyone on my rear suspension and was left with a dead end road.

Deaver refused to make the springs I wanted so I tried to contact National spring. They finally got back to me today since they had a comp. virus and where moving. They can do the springs I want to eliminate the rear blocks (figured they would after talking to other members with them!)

I finally got in touch with Rize on the Floating traction bars for the F150. They confirmed they are for the 04-10 F150s! However you need a minimum 5" block for them to fit (according to Rize) I have a pre-order with my installer already since they are out of stock "nationwide" according to Rize. Now I'm second guessing this and will probably tell them to hold off till further notice. I'll have to redo the current setup just to make them work if a 5" block is required...

Ideally I wanted to get more spring, less block, and the Rize traction bars

The problem is I want all this stuff! However, as you guys can see, they don't work together at all. Hell I don't even need any of it (I keep telling myself that, especially after all the phone calls today). What do you guys think I should do? I'm interested to see what y'all would do since national has a two week lead time and Rize is not making more bars till March at the earliest.

Also anyone have any insight/experiences about purchasing/installations/etc by RMS offroad in Long Island NY?

It's been a not so good day for me trying to spend money

Last edited by FX4life; 01-13-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-13-2010 | 08:59 PM
Matt,

Having both this is the only thing I can think of.

If you like the ride harshness right now, as-is, go for the traction bars. If you are willing to risk the ride of a stiffer setup go for the bigger leafs.

Deavers are going to be hard to beat in the ride harshness category and the traction bars also look pretty dam bad *** too!

Old 01-13-2010 | 08:59 PM
Truck of the Month
do you actually need the traction bars ?

if its just a want, id opt for the new springs, i hate looking at my block

Old 01-13-2010 | 09:01 PM
I'm just wondering why you would need a 5" block for the trac bars. If I were you I would just go ahead and get the leafs now and possibly make or buy some trac bars in the future.

Old 01-13-2010 | 09:04 PM
Well my rig ain't nearly as "jacked up" as yours is, but I'll give you my opinion on ditching the rear blocks. I hated running the 4"Fabtech block stacked onto my stock Ford block for the rear lift,in the Fabtech kit. Every time I mashed the gas, that rear axle would twist, and the sounds it would make weren't natural. I quickly added new leafs to my shopping list, and grabbed a set of 6" BDS leafs.With my factory block they gave me close to 8" lift and totally eliminated the banging and twisting I had with the blocks. If after switching to lift leaf springs, you still have axle wrap, you may have to look at a custom built set of traction bars. Maybe the Rize bars you spoke of would only need a minimum of 5" of lift, not actually a 5" lift block?

Old 01-13-2010 | 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dnasty777
I'm just wondering why you would need a 5" block for the trac bars. If I were you I would just go ahead and get the leafs now and possibly make or buy some trac bars in the future.
it would deal with how and where the trac bars mount compared to where the springs are. my guess would be that they would hit the springs without the block

Old 01-13-2010 | 09:15 PM
Just fab them hoes to fit and get your leaf set-up. Its metal man.. make it work

Old 01-13-2010 | 09:16 PM
|
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by thejake1989
it would deal with how and where the trac bars mount compared to where the springs are. my guess would be that they would hit the springs without the block
You would be correct.

Judging from the only pic I have seen of them this is how they look setup with a 6" block and it looks pretty damn tight!

I thought about maybe trying to modify the trac bars to fit with full leaf packs, but the more I look at it that would be removing a lot of material. I love the ride of my deavers! But like IDNC would like to kill off the blocks finally.

I just didn't expect so many curveballs in one day, heck I half expected Rize to say they wouldn't fit 04-08's.

Last edited by FX4life; 01-13-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2010 | 09:18 PM
After seeing that I dont know if you could make that work unless you moved them closer together.

Old 01-13-2010 | 09:23 PM
I have a idea, Why dont you buy the leaf springs for me, then you buy you the rize traction bars, that way your still buying both.

Old 01-13-2010 | 09:26 PM
Old 01-13-2010 | 09:27 PM

what about flipping the trac bars pictured?

Old 01-13-2010 | 09:33 PM
Matt: F the traction bars and go with the leafs! Chris says the National's are stiffer but that's because his are built for 2000lbs of payload. I should know since I bought them new! Talk to BEn at National and tell them that you want all articulation and soft ride and he'll hook you up right!

Chris: How's it all working out for you? etter with the leafs or are you missing the blocks? Woud you go back to a big block to gain the trac bars?

Old 01-13-2010 | 09:38 PM
|
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by tlt008
Matt: F the traction bars and go with the leafs! Chris says the National's are stiffer but that's because his are built for 2000lbs of payload. I should know since I bought them new! Talk to BEn at National and tell them that you want all articulation and soft ride and he'll hook you up right!

Chris: How's it all working out for you? etter with the leafs or are you missing the blocks? Woud you go back to a big block to gain the trac bars?
I couldn't get in touch with Ben (unless he is the design engineer I have not talked to yet) but I did get in touch with Tim.

I have my stock leaf packs but would need a 4" aal and a set of Rize blocks to get setup for trac bars. oh the joys of modify chit over and over

Old 01-13-2010 | 09:46 PM
all kinda trouble for the traction bars. See if you know someone that can kinda use the design they used and make a set for you and still cost less than 1200

Quick Reply: Conflicting Rear Suspension mods...