A bit more lift ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A bit more lift ?

my alignment is off and that got me kicking around the idea of putting a 1.5" leveling kit on for some extra height, since i would need an alignment either way. I think once i put my Mazzi hulks on it will give it that nice wide stance where abit more lift would look good. I have new struts up front so i would not be stacking spacers.

Also for the rear , i currently have 5" block + AAL. Would lift shackles be a good way to raise the back an inch or two, im not really looking to drop the cash on a new set of leaf springs right now.

Any opinions on what to do ?

Old 02-19-2010, 05:33 PM
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that that's out of the way......Since you're not worried about the lift laws anymore I say go for it. There is always a set of 1.5" lift shackles listed on ebay for like $60 or something. Shackles would be a good idea to get the rear up. You're only other options are larger block or larger AAL since you've ruled out the leafs. Rize 6" block is going to run you near $300 and the 4" AAL(skyjacker?) will run you like $300 if I remember correctly. Block is the easiest to do but will only net you another inch unless you opt to throw in some shims which you probably should. I think shims are your best option though.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by tlt008
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that that's out of the way......Since you're not worried about the lift laws anymore I say go for it. There is always a set of 1.5" lift shackles listed on ebay for like $60 or something. Shackles would be a good idea to get the rear up. You're only other options are larger block or larger AAL since you've ruled out the leafs. Rize 6" block is going to run you near $300 and the 4" AAL(skyjacker?) will run you like $300 if I remember correctly. Block is the easiest to do but will only net you another inch unless you opt to throw in some shims which you probably should. I think shims are your best option though.
i got a good chuckle out of that thanks

I got pulled over a few days ago for the tires sticking out and the cop didnt even mention anything about the lift or inspection, so i'd say im in the clear lol. but i did buy some fender flares today.

I like the lift shackles idea b/c of the price obviously. I would rather not go with a bigger block in the rear. Can you enlighten me on the shims, im not too familiar with them.

Also what are the pros/cons of the lift shackles ?

Old 02-19-2010, 06:35 PM
I don't see anything wrong with the shackles. I've installed them before and it was very easy. I did see a Chevrolet truck before and as I passed by it looked like he didn't have any shackles. I wonder if this is possible to do?

Old 02-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Shims are just metal wedges that are used to adjust pinion angle. You can buy them in various degree's to set the rear diff at the right angle so that it points directly at the tranny tailshaft so as to not destroy ujoints or cause binding in the driveline. In doing so they also supply a certain small amount of lift because of their thickness. It is pretty minimal most of the time.

I don't personally know of any cons that come with the use of shackles. Thousands of people use them in drop form to lower their trucks and a lift shackle should offer the same reliability I would think.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:38 PM
Do it!!!! Might as well slap some 40s on them hulks too

Old 02-20-2010, 12:59 AM

Shims are just metal wedges that are used to adjust pinion angle. You can buy them in various degree's to set the rear diff at the right angle so that it points directly at the tranny tailshaft so as to not destroy ujoints or cause binding in the driveline. In doing so they also supply a certain small amount of lift because of their thickness. It is pretty minimal most of the time.

I don't personally know of any cons that come with the use of shackles. Thousands of people use them in drop form to lower their trucks and a lift shackle should offer the same reliability I would think.
you think if i went with the lift shackles , i'd run into any problems with the driveshaft angles and such or would that not be affected ?

Originally Posted by b2therad
Do it!!!! Might as well slap some 40s on them hulks too
one day when these 38 wear down

Old 02-20-2010, 09:38 AM
When you use shackles, it changes the angle the leafs sit at because it lowers(in your case) the rear mounting point away from the body of the truck and the frame. Because the front mounting point doesn't change, the point where the axle bolts up is shifted forward slightly and put at an angle. If your differential is pointing correctly right now, you might have to get shims to get the diff to point back down a little but I wouldn't think it would hurt that much. If your diff is already pointing up too much then you should definitely get a set of shims. If your diff is pointing too low right now then you should already have a set of shims in there to pick the angle up but the shackles will actually help the angle and get it back in line. I have 2 sets of shims that I ordered by mistake last year before I took the Rize and National's off of my truck. If you end up needing a set gimme a shout. I think they are 2 1/2 degree.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Here's a link to the ones that I have:

http://www.spcalignment.com/PROD_DIR...NUMBER_DYN.cfm

Old 02-20-2010, 04:05 PM

When you use shackles, it changes the angle the leafs sit at because it lowers(in your case) the rear mounting point away from the body of the truck and the frame. Because the front mounting point doesn't change, the point where the axle bolts up is shifted forward slightly and put at an angle. If your differential is pointing correctly right now, you might have to get shims to get the diff to point back down a little but I wouldn't think it would hurt that much. If your diff is already pointing up too much then you should definitely get a set of shims. If your diff is pointing too low right now then you should already have a set of shims in there to pick the angle up but the shackles will actually help the angle and get it back in line. I have 2 sets of shims that I ordered by mistake last year before I took the Rize and National's off of my truck. If you end up needing a set gimme a shout. I think they are 2 1/2 degree.
Here's a link to the ones that I have:

http://www.spcalignment.com/PROD_DIR...NUMBER_DYN.cfm
Thanks for the help , the link did not work though.

so if i did go with the shims, that will lift the rear an inch or so and help the pinion angle ?

Also would adding another AAL be an option ?

Old 02-20-2010, 04:21 PM
No you'd have to use them in conjunction with shackles or something else in order to get an inch. The shims will give you a very small amount of lift but nowhere near an inch.

You wouldn't want to go with another AAL on top of the one you already have. It'll stiffen up the rear way too much. If you wanted to go with an AAL you should go with a 4" AAL to replace the one you have. AAL's are a pain in the *** though if you ask me. Best option you have is the shackle route and shims if you need them.

Is the output shaft on your rear diff at the same angle as the driveshaft right now? If not, is it pointing higher or lower?

Old 02-20-2010, 08:27 PM
You need to get that alignment fixed, I dragged *** when I had my nittos, and I messed the front tires all up. I say either get lift shackles or a 6" block. I have the rize 6" block I bought from tlt008, works perfect.BTW which flares did you end up going with?

Old 02-20-2010, 08:59 PM

No you'd have to use them in conjunction with shackles or something else in order to get an inch. The shims will give you a very small amount of lift but nowhere near an inch.

You wouldn't want to go with another AAL on top of the one you already have. It'll stiffen up the rear way too much. If you wanted to go with an AAL you should go with a 4" AAL to replace the one you have. AAL's are a pain in the *** though if you ask me. Best option you have is the shackle route and shims if you need them.

Is the output shaft on your rear diff at the same angle as the driveshaft right now? If not, is it pointing higher or lower?
ok thanks for your help man, looks like shackles is the way to go.

Im not quite sure on the drive shaft angles, i ll take some pics tmr

Originally Posted by IORf150
You need to get that alignment fixed, I dragged *** when I had my nittos, and I messed the front tires all up. I say either get lift shackles or a 6" block. I have the rize 6" block I bought from tlt008, works perfect.BTW which flares did you end up going with?
My lift block is actually 5.5" according to BDS' site , so i think 6" block is outta the question.

I went with the Bushwacker extend-a-fenders.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:28 PM
10/4 man, Yeah that would be stupid to get them just for a half inch more. Cool deal, should look good once you get the mazzi's on there.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:19 PM

So heres what im ordering tonight

Any feedback before i order everything later ?

Lift shackles :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Lif...#ht_2303wt_941

1.5" Leveling kit :

http://autospringcorp.com/index.php?...products_id=18

Quick Reply: A bit more lift ?