|
Got it done finally

So I bought the $185 kit from ebay that contained:

1. (2)Upper control arms
2. (2) lower ball joints
3. (4) tie rod ends
4. (2) sway bar links
5. (2) tie rod sleves
and its all grease able unlike the factory ones.

I put it all in for under $200

The truck rolls 100X better with no clunking or scary noises. im so glad i decided to do it myself. It was cake. Took about 8 hours with 5-6 beer breaks. Im amazed. I bought the truck with 44k miles and dont remember it being this responsive.

Old 01-17-2011 | 12:22 AM
Do you have a link to the kit? Ive been thinking about doing this on my 05.

Old 01-19-2011 | 05:02 PM
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Upper-Control-Arm...item45f83509de
i bought these for my truck and the work fine but these trucks love to eat through the tie rods and if you dont keep an eye on them and well greased all of the ball joints will go

Old 01-19-2011 | 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by f150greg
Today I took my truck down for a front tire and an alignment because my tire was wearing unevenly. The mechanic at the shop told me that I needed:

1. All new inner and outer tie rod ends on both sides
2. All new ball joints both sides

Another thing that he told me was that I needed new upper control arms because the upper ball joints don't come out of the upper control arms.

I want to do all this work myself because he wanted close to $600 to do it all for me. The lower ball joints I have no problem with but replacing the whole upper control arms seems fishy to me.

Is there anywhere I can order upper ball joints? or a package of all the tie rod ends?

By the way my truck is a 2000 XL 111145 miles 5.4 triton tow package w/ 4r100 no fron abs
Wish mine would have went this many miles! I have 68000 on the clock and have had to replace lower balljoints already!

Originally Posted by dirtslmfan_25
I found the rental press at Advanced auto to be better than the one at Auto Zone. I changed all these things on my 04 a few months back. The left upper ball joint had 3/4 in. of play. I was hearing a sound comming from the wheel and couldn't tell what it was till I pulled the wheel and noticed I was down to the cords on the inside of the tire due to the balljoint being sooooo messed up. Good luck
I totally agree about the advance auto press kit being better. The first joint I did, I used the autozone kit and it didnt have enough pieces to press the joint back in, only out. The Advnance kit pressed the joint both ways and saved me an hour of frustration.

Old 01-19-2011 | 09:01 PM
|
I got my press at kragen and it worked just like i wanted it too. I dont have an impact gun so i got my upper body work out in. I took the truck out today into the rocks trails to do some quail hunting and the ebay kit held up great. Feels good to save a few hundred bucks and not sacrifice any quality. I got grease gun for $15 from harbor freight and its gonna be laying next to my oil change pail so i can avoid having to tear apart my truck again.

Old 01-19-2011 | 09:27 PM
Man, Not sue if i should be happy, or wondering what all i have missed when working on the truck. 172,000 miles and counting and have only had to replace the idler arm...

Quick Reply: Ball joints and tie rod ends