Which coilovers will give me the best ride? King Icon Camburg

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ill try to find it and might even be in one of my threads but I could have swore FX4LIFE said the custom set of kings for our f150s don't use any longer coils for our trucks. They just use a longer shaft or whatever that's called with the eye hole to mount onto the LCA. Look at OGTERROR's or FX4LIFE's picture albums. I could be wrong but when I get to a computer I'll look it up

Old 03-10-2010, 04:56 PM
If you get a longer body and longer shaft..you have a bigger stroke shock, and will need a different lenght coil, as to not have any seperation. No way around that.

The use a longer rod end yes. The rod end threads onto the shock shaft and is used to bolt t the lower. That gives it a bit etra lenght. i think your thinking about the rod end being longer. The shock shaft its self can only be as long as the body.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Ok then its the shock shaft I was talking about. Thanks a lot man. Ill pull it up later to show you

Old 03-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Heres that truck halfway down. See how long the shock shaft is?

https://www.f150online.com/forums/4057175-post42.html

Old 03-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Of course there is just a longer extension on the bottom of the coilover. Just because they are on a 12" lift, the suspension does not get any more range of travel. Everything is going to bind at the same point whether it is stock height or on a 12" drop bracket.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:19 AM
So with it being like that you can easily use king coils on a stock 4X4 and crank them to acheive the lift you want. Then later down the road if you were to lift you can just change it out with a longer extension correct?

Old 03-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by brianjwilson
Of course there is just a longer extension on the bottom of the coilover. Just because they are on a 12" lift, the suspension does not get any more range of travel. Everything is going to bind at the same point whether it is stock height or on a 12" drop bracket.
Bingo, cause a "lift" only moves the stock geometry down. Still same travel #'s, same binding points.

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
So with it being like that you can easily use king coils on a stock 4X4 and crank them to acheive the lift you want. Then later down the road if you were to lift you can just change it out with a longer extension correct?
No exactly sure..King would know, but a stock replacement C/O ya, you can crank the coils down a bit..not to much to get a few inces of lift. too much, your ride is going to be stiffer, and coil may bind in uptravel. and it may affect your camber.

On a really big lift, the lift is achived usually by drop down brackets, moving the Lower arm down, Im not sure if King then uses a whole new shock w/ longer body,shaft, ect.. or same shock with just that rod end extension on the truck pictuered.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:18 PM
What do you mean about turning coils down? Also I'm lifted 6 with the leveling kit still in. Can I use the adj bilstein (0-2) with my lift to make up for the level kit. I can't afford the expensive coils...have to take the cheap route. Should I buy the one's for 6 in lift and just put the spacer back in? Thanks

Old 09-01-2012, 05:20 PM
I want to say that king owns icon or they coincide in some way. either way king is the way to go out of those three you have listed. however don't forget the real bad boys with foxs :] now those are sexy shocks ha. my personal choice if I were to throw in my 2cents

Quick Reply: Which coilovers will give me the best ride? King Icon Camburg