Replacing Inner Tie Rods, Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011 | 09:57 PM
Truck of the Month
I used a pipe wrench on mine, but don't tell anyone.

It's an easy swap if you're good at taking measurements.

Old 12-30-2011 | 10:16 PM
I read somewhere elsethat someone had used a pipe wrench with no issues. I would like to have the correct size wrench if possible, I have access to quite a few large wrench's and it would be nice if I knew in advance what size to go pick but if I have to I will do it with a pipe wrench. What did you use to remove/install the band clamp on the boot's?

Thanks in Advance, Kenny

Old 12-31-2011 | 09:08 PM
good luck. I just did my tie rods on my 01 and it was easy as pie. I haven't done them on a newer truck.

Last edited by 01 gt f150; 12-31-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-31-2011 | 10:13 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by daparrothead
I read somewhere elsethat someone had used a pipe wrench with no issues. I would like to have the correct size wrench if possible, I have access to quite a few large wrench's and it would be nice if I knew in advance what size to go pick but if I have to I will do it with a pipe wrench. What did you use to remove/install the band clamp on the boot's?

Thanks in Advance, Kenny
I trashed the band clamps and used plastic zip tie wraps as replacements.

Old 01-02-2012 | 12:48 AM
A little update. I got the truck up on stands and pulled the wheels off, the popping noise I was hearing was coming from the drivers side inner tie rod area. With the truck in the air and no load on the steering I couldn't hear the noise anymore when moving the steering wheel back & forth. So I disconnected the DS outer tie rod and had my son rock the steering wheel back & forth while I held the outer tie rod putting pressure inward and I could hear the noise again, as soon as I let pressure off the noise went away. The more I listened to it, it sounds like the popping noise is coming from the rack right where the pinion gear goes into the rack. Taking the truck in tomorrow to have an alignment done after installing a front leveling kit so I am going to have them look at it and go from there.

Old 08-08-2012 | 01:10 AM
Originally Posted by daparrothead
A little update. I got the truck up on stands and pulled the wheels off, the popping noise I was hearing was coming from the drivers side inner tie rod area. With the truck in the air and no load on the steering I couldn't hear the noise anymore when moving the steering wheel back & forth. So I disconnected the DS outer tie rod and had my son rock the steering wheel back & forth while I held the outer tie rod putting pressure inward and I could hear the noise again, as soon as I let pressure off the noise went away. The more I listened to it, it sounds like the popping noise is coming from the rack right where the pinion gear goes into the rack. Taking the truck in tomorrow to have an alignment done after installing a front leveling kit so I am going to have them look at it and go from there.
Bump on an old thread. Haven't gotten to look while it's up on the rack but mine pops when I turn the wheel all the way left. I've already had ball joints, control arms, and outer rods replaced but not the inner...it also makes the clunk noise when driving over bumps. This sound like what you had going on?

Old 03-27-2015 | 10:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Bumping this thread yet again as I was in the similar situation. I thought I needed to get the inner tie-rod tool but nothing that was in the stores for rent would fit a 2007 F150 size tie-rod. I didn't want to spend $100+ for the proper sleeve tool but almost did. Then I went out and actually pulled the boot off and observed. Turns out all these '04/'08s need for tie rod removal/install are a 1.75" open end wrench. It fit perfect and there was plenty of room. Granted I could not torque wrench it to spec, I feel I got more than enough by tugging the new tie-rod on from underneath.

Stories short, use a 1.75" wrench, don't buy a $100+ removal tool.
Name:  20150327_162007_zpst8egjrze.jpg
Views: 7376
Size:  298.2 KB

Name:  20150327_162033_zpsog5xrijw.jpg
Views: 6278
Size:  278.2 KB

Quick Reply: Replacing Inner Tie Rods, Help