Broken front Spring Coil

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010 | 03:20 PM
|
Broken front Spring Coil

While changing my oil and filter I noticed the drivers side spring was cracked. Not sure when or how long this had been like this because the vehicle hasn't been acting any differently. In hindsite, the front end felt a little off while towing our RV Memorial day weekend.

Anyways, ordering two Spring Coils from Tasca Ford ($101.16 for the pair of Code V springs). Not sure if I should replace the struts while I have them off or keep the OEM ones (I'm leading towards replacing with Bilstein 5100's). If I do order the Bilsteins, and provided the old strut parts are still in good condition, is it just a matter of switching parts or do I need to other new parts?

Appreciate your insight regarding this. The replacement seems fairly straight forward although I will need to visit Advance Auto or Auto Zone for a spring compressor.

Thanks in Advance!

Regards,
Tom in Connecticut

Old 06-09-2010 | 03:21 PM
|
Should have mentioned, truck is a 2005 F150 XLT 4X4 with Tow Package and Load Range E tires (for towing RV camper). Other then that truck is stock.

Old 06-09-2010 | 04:13 PM
I replaced oem's on my 05 with bilstein HD's and am completely satisfied..No additional
parts were needed...I did break the spring compressor though.. Just be careful, and take
it slow when compressing and releasing tension..

Quick Reply: Broken front Spring Coil